Jason Brown | Page 144 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was happy for Han Yan that he skated so well after that awful crash at COC.

Re Jason: I simply don't understand why people feel the need to put him down because they've suddenly discovered Josh. Josh is really talented and it's great to see him skating so well and having a moment. But all of a sudden Jason seems to have morphed in many peoples' eyes into someone with second-rate talent who is "overrated" and "overhyped" and will never get a clean 3A, much less a quad. Even Phil Hersh, for whom Jason could once do no wrong, has been extremely harsh towards him lately, although thankfully, he toned down the rhetoric a bit in this last article.

Unfortunately, it's what happens when someone starts winning - especially when they start unseating established "fan favourites" (like Adam/Jeremy etc).

It'll be Josh's turn next year. He's the flavour of the month right now, just like Jason was at this time last year, but if he wins Nationals next year - especially if he beats out Adam and/or Jeremy and they skated reasonably well - it'll turn on him, too.

knghcm

On the Ice
Phil Hersh really annoys me with his "skating should be a sport" philosophy. I hope his wishes come true and some day he will be stuck covering quad attempts without music.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't disagree that skating is a sport...but like any sport, there are multiple strategies and ways to be successful. That is what makes it fun!

Also succeeding in a sport also means figuring out the best way to minimize your weaknesses and maximizing what you can do. Being a good competitor counts for something, I think it's lost on some that Jason may not be a natural jumper, but manages to make it work and reach his own goals.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Karne and Mrs P, you are both right. Thanks for the perspective!

After reading about his struggles with confidence this week, I really hope he is able to block out the Phil Hershs of the world and that he is blissfully unaware of the social media vitriol. Thankfully he's a strong, positive person as well as a talented one, and he has a great family and support team.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
To be fair, Han had a bad sickness before the FS at that competition. I think he had food poisoning or something. Han's a bit prone to sickness in the past it seems...hope it's behind him now!

The skaters seem, in general, seem to get along and respect each other. I wish some of their fans would do the same.

Amen to your last sentence, Mrs. P. :agree:

Not exactly the right thread, but the men's medalists -- esp. Han :) -- look very cute together in these candid shots from the small medal ceremony.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't get this USFSA anointed one business. I like a good rivalry and I think both skaters bring something to the table.

And I guess people missed the fact that he was a handful of points from the 170 range and actually would have gotten there hip ad it not been the weird lutz/spin error.

Alas, people think what they want to think.

Reminds me of something I wanted to say about another post/answer thing (that I can't find anymore - sorry for failing :hopelessness: )... but I said too I believe USFS will start backing up Joshua as the new number one if he skates at worlds like he did at 4CC. That doesn't mean I agree with it. IMO, Jason and Joshua both deserve as much support as USFS can grant them, and I think those two really have the potential to become the leading men for american figure skating the next 4 years (or maybe even longer). This season, Josh pulled ahead a little, after Jason was ahead last season. And who knows how it's going to be next season. I just see the mess USFS makes with the whole Gracie/Ashley thing, and I can't imagine they'll do better with the men. And even when both of these young men have the potential to get people into this sport and make it even more exciting because of that rivalry! I'm just zero optimistic about it...
Doesn't mean I think Jason suddenly lacks in anything or wouldn't deserve the same praise he got last season :)

babyskate

On the Ice
Reminds me of something I wanted to say about another post/answer thing (that I can't find anymore - sorry for failing :hopelessness: )... but I said too I believe USFS will start backing up Joshua as the new number one if he skates at worlds like he did at 4CC. That doesn't mean I agree with it. IMO, Jason and Joshua both deserve as much support as USFS can grant them, and I think those two really have the potential to become the leading men for american figure skating the next 4 years (or maybe even longer). This season, Josh pulled ahead a little, after Jason was ahead last season. And who knows how it's going to be next season. I just see the mess USFS makes with the whole Gracie/Ashley thing, and I can't imagine they'll do better with the men. And even when both of these young men have the potential to get people into this sport and make it even more exciting because of that rivalry! I'm just zero optimistic about it...
Doesn't mean I think Jason suddenly lacks in anything or wouldn't deserve the same praise he got last season :)
I agree completely.
I have been following both Jason and Josh since juniors and they have always taken turns with placements. They are both extremely talented with Josh having achieved some of the more difficult jumps before Jason and Jason gaining some presentation confidence before Josh. It is ok to love both of them and for USFA to support both of them. They are special skaters and people and part of the future of US figure skating. Congratulations to Josh for his two beautiful performances and the silver medal. Congratulations to Jason for his quad attempt, holding his presentation together and then coming back for a spectacular T and I.

I also love Jason's honest assessment of the quad in this portion of the blog.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/02/10/108855198/seoul-man-brown-blogs-from-four-continents

It is interesting to see the more serious side of him and makes me respect him even more.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I agree completely.
I have been following both Jason and Josh since juniors and they have always taken turns with placements. They are both extremely talented with Josh having achieved some of the more difficult jumps before Jason and Jason gaining some presentation confidence before Josh. It is ok to love both of them and for USFA to support both of them. They are special skaters and people and part of the future of US figure skating. Congratulations to Josh for his two beautiful performances and the silver medal. Congratulations to Jason for his quad attempt, holding his presentation together and then coming back for a spectacular T and I.

I also love Jason's honest assessment of the quad in this portion of the blog.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/02/10/108855198/seoul-man-brown-blogs-from-four-continents

It is interesting to see the more serious side of him and makes me respect him even more.

I read it and thought, my goodness his parents did a good job raising him. It's honest and mature. Because he's right: sometimes you have to take a step backwards to run forwards. He seems to have far more objectivity and perspective than many of the posters here, who are now writing Jason off, as if growing pains and small setbacks weren't a normal part of every athlete's journey.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I read it and thought, my goodness his parents did a good job raising him. It's honest and mature. Because he's right: sometimes you have to take a step backwards to run forwards. He seems to have far more objectivity and perspective than many of the posters here, who are now writing Jason off, as if growing pains and small setbacks weren't a normal part of every athlete's journey.

Yes. All I want to say to folks is, "Please step forward if you led a absolutely charmed life with no setbacks or adversary ever." I mean anyone who has ever had a goal or career should know better. Alas, this is human nature. You are only as good as your last competition. Adam is being written off yet again, just weeks after all those same people argued he should have won.

Also I want to say the whole "his 3a is always UR!" meme is getting really old. Last three competitions: ratification was 7/9 (UR at nationals FS and 4CC sp). In the SP, it was just UR just once - at 4CC. The FS stat is worse, 6/10. Overall 10/15. This means he hits it 2 out of 3 times or URs it once out of three times. It could be better, but ithe odds shows he's more apt to hit it than not. And odds are growing in his favor -- 4 of 5 of those URs were from earlier in the season.

ETA: I agree WA, that Jason has been raised well. A :clap: for Jason's parents. I hope I can raise a kid as genuine and intellegent as Jason!

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Yes. All I want to say to folks is, "Please step forward if you led a absolutely charmed life with no setbacks or adversary ever." I mean anyone who has ever had a goal or career should know better. Alas, this is human nature. You are only as good as your last competition. Adam is being written off yet again, just weeks after all those same people argued he should have won.

Also I want to say the whole "his 3a is always UR!" meme is getting really old. Last three competitions: ratification was 7/9 (UR at nationals FS and 4CC sp). In the SP, it was just UR just once - at 4CC. The FS stat is worse, 6/10. Overall 10/15. This means he hits it 2 out of 3 times or URs it once out of three times. It could be better, but ithe odds shows he's more apt to hit it than not. And odds are growing in his favor -- 4 of 5 of those URs were from earlier in the season. I wish people bothered to look at facts.

ETA: I agree WA, that Jason has been raised well. A :clap: for Jason's parents. I hope I can raise a kid as genuine and intellegent as Jason!
"ETA: I agree WA, that Jason has been raised well. A for Jason's parents. I hope I can raise a kid as genuine and intellegent as Jason!" And smart and communicative and handsome!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Why am I not surprised that Jason is surrounded by beautiful ladies on both sides? :laugh:

I love that Jason is so considerate and inclusive. He made sure to mention Polina in his tweet even though she wasn't part of the group photo. :love:

Id love to know whose idea it was for Jason to be in the middle of the girls like that. His, the ladies. . . the boys teasing him. . . who knows.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Why am I not surprised that Jason is surrounded by beautiful ladies on both sides? :laugh:

I love that Jason is so considerate and inclusive. He made sure to mention Polina in his tweet even though she wasn't part of the group photo. :love:

Why am I not surprised that all the ladies choosed Jason?

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Id love to know whose idea it was for Jason to be in the middle of the girls like that. His, the ladies. . . the boys teasing him. . . who knows.

I think it is not a joke of guys. Polina was not there at the time of the photo. Jason has replaced her in the central place among the girls. He showed her place and tagged her on Twitter

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it is not a joke of guys. Polina was not there at the time of the photo. Jason has replaced her in the central place among the girls. He showed her place and tagged her on Twitter

Jason is ALWAYS surrounded by girls.

If they were a high school group, I could totally see Jason being the exuberant one with no problems asking a girl to prom while Josh hovers anxiously in the background, trying to pluck up the courage to talk to the girls, and they're all secretly crushing on him. :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

If they were a high school group, I could totally see Jason being the exuberant one with no problems asking a girl to prom while Josh hovers anxiously in the background, trying to pluck up the courage to talk to the girls, and they're all secretly crushing on him. :laugh:

In a sense this was a key benefit of his parents wanting him to live a relatively normal life outside of skating. Skating was a key focus, sure, but it seemed that he had lots of other fun stuff going on. And Jason seems to be invited to lots of proms!

Ah, I love prom. My dates were just guy friends. I just found out my senior prom date from 15 years ago is going to be a new parent this year, just like me. Funny how we all eventually grow up.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice

Boh ... I do not know ... I do not know the character of Josh ... but do not think it is shy with girls. Boys in figure skating growing among girls, have no fear. They are both beautiful and good guys, and good (and artistic) skaters, good souls. But ... if I had the chance to choose for my daughter ... Jason is Jason :)