Jason Brown | Page 287 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Karne. I really don't understand why you're making this all about Max. I deliberately didn't mention him in my first post because I view this whole thing as strictly about USFS's perception of Jason (and/ or maybe Kori). I mentioned Max only because Doris asked. As to why Tammy Gambill: I find it odd that in the past year one high profile student and one high profile assistant from 7K have ended up with her. It had nothing to do with Brendan or Ricky D. Neither one even crossed my mind.

Sincere thanks :) for not mentioning Max originally.

Not that you asked ;), but here are my reactions to your current post:

For me, it was Stitch's comment about Max and TCC that was uncalled for. (And it remains perplexing to me, knowing that Stitch is a fan of Max.)

As for Gambill, I too was confused and still am confused as to why you mentioned her. Not annoyed, just confused.
You must be referring to Tyler Pierce and to Coach Vincent. But I can't imagine why their moves to Gambill would cause her to whisper to USFS about Jason and TCC. If Jason had withdrawn from TCC, it would not have been beneficial to Tyler in any way. Plus we know that Jason and Tyler still are friends. And I don't see any reason to suspect that Coach Vincent would have wanted anyone to lobby against Jason. AFAIK, we have no evidence of bad blood btwn Coach Vincent and anyone at 7K. Until proven otherwise, I will assume that he left Monument on good terms.​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne. I really don't understand why you're making this all about Max. I deliberately didn't mention him in my first post because I view this whole thing as strictly about USFS's perception of Jason (and/ or maybe Kori). I mentioned Max only because Doris asked. As to why Tammy Gambill: I find it odd that in the past year one high profile student and one high profile assistant from 7K have ended up with her. It had nothing to do with Brendan or Ricky D. Neither one even crossed my mind.

It wouldn't have been my intention either if I hadn't come into this thread to find accusations of Max being an 'engine kisser' and getting unfair favours!!

I'm sure Jason would never refer to his friend and his acheivements in such disrespectful terms.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My basis is that Max is a nice guy that plays by the rules and is very polite. Ummmm I did not mean it as a bad thing... i think meant he does what he is supposed to in a lovable manner. It was more that Max is not going to offend anyone rather than he is being manipulative. Kissing engine is part of pretty much all jobs. I assume Max would be respectful and loved by any boss/superior he interacts with. I pretty much meant he is not likely to make any enemies. Neither is Jason. But both are such that if you are looking for something to like, you don't have to look hard. And finding something to not like is a bit difficult.

*sigh* Ferengi rule of accusation #33 It never hurts to suck up to the boss. I am sure when asked/expected Max is a very good "smarmy butt-kissing do-gooder" as I think Max does what he is expected... and tries to keep the powers that be happy. Engine kisser is not an insult in this context... it is pointing out he does what he is supposed to and gives little to no reason to find offense.

Max is polite and respectful. But that is more characters to type than engine kisser. Plus it lacks the use of the term engine. This was not an insult to Max... if anything it was commentary on what i like/respect about him.

Your post and my previous one crossed in cyberspace.

For me, "kissing *ss" and "sucking up" both have VERY different connotations from "playing by the rules" and being polite and respectful.

And for me, saying that someone is "kissing *ss" and "sucking up" is most definitely pejorative and insulting. If you now are calling Max "smarmy" as well, that word also is most definitely pejorative and insulting.

I don't know what else to say except Yikes.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Your post and my previous one crossed in cyberspace.

For me, "kissing *ss" and "sucking up" both have VERY different connotations from "playing by the rules" and being polite and respectful.

And for me, "kissing *ss" and "sucking up" both are most definitely pejorative and insulting.

I don't know what else to say except Yikes.

Well i apologize for any offense. I just am too cynical I guess and think kissing engine is just part of life and being good at it is a good thing to be good at. Really my points was more that Max is just not the type to give ANY reason to not like him.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You guys are missing the point. TCC and WTT are paydays for US skaters, and hence for their coaches. The issue is not Jason vs. Max really, but Tom Z vs. Kori, and 7K vs. Broadmoor.

At USFSA, Broadmoor wins. It is where they skate, or their kids skate, or their friends skate. Tom Z always gets better assignments for his skaters more often than anyone.

It has been so since Fassi moved to Colorado years and years ago.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At USFSA, Broadmoor wins. It is where they skate, or their kids skate, or their friends skate. Tom Z always gets better assignments for his skaters more often than anyone.

And yet he couldn't get Max the plumb assignment, the one Max wanted more than anything, over a rookie and a known headcase. So much for that!

I resent the implication that the only reason Max is where is is because of Z and not because of Max's own incredible ability.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That is not what I am implying at all. When it is a money event, WTT or TCC, USFSA will always favor Broadmoor. Olympics is too high profile for this kind of scrimmy-shenanigans. And if there is a men's skater USFSA favors, my guess it would be Adam, not either of Jason or Max.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That is not what I am implying at all. When it is a money event, WTT or TCC, USFSA will always favor Broadmoor.

That's still an implication that Max would not be where he is if he skated for someone else.

All these years one of the things the Jason fans have prided themselves on is respect for other skaters. I am not seeing a whole lot of it in here right now, and all because of some stupid rumour that WE DON'T EVEN KNOW IS TRUE.

And if there is a men's skater USFSA favors, my guess it would be Adam, not either of Jason or Max.

And that would be the only point on which I think we'd all agree, that Adam is the current "it-boy" of the USFS.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to get back to the Jason Brown happy place.
Let's reminisce - one of my favorites his free skate from 2011 Nationals, pure joy, musicality and lovely jumps.
This was the first time I saw him live. Major impact on my skating love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Please enjoy!!

Beautiful performance. And that music seems vaguely familiar. :luv17:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I want to get back to the Jason Brown happy place.
Let's reminisce - one of my favorites his free skate from 2011 Nationals, pure joy, musicality and lovely jumps.
This was the first time I saw him live. Major impact on my skating love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Please enjoy!!

I love this program so much. And this is our Jason's first standing O at US Nationals as a Senior. The people there that day saw something so very special - I am so jealous of you, babyskate! You got to see the moment Jason launched his way to superstardom!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think his apply for a bye bruised some egos and I think he has some work to do do deal with it and and move forward.

... Egos are fragile things... Max kisses engine... Jason does what Kori and Rohene tell him which includes standing up to people. ...

Well i apologize for any offense. ...

Thx for your apology, Stitch.

In the interest of clearing the air over the rumor, I will say that I have been scratching my head over your references to bruised and fragile egos.
I think you are saying that Jason and Kori are the ones with bruised and fragile egos.

I do not see any reason for any other skater or any other coach to have a bruised ego.
Jason had to file his petition for Worlds well before anyone knew the placements at Nats.
Jason's petition meant only that he felt he deserved one of the three slots on the World team. It did not mean that he felt he deserved a slot more than Max in particular. Or more than Adam in particular. Or more than Nathan in particular. Etc.
And I imagine that if another skater and coach had been in Jason and Kori's shoes, then the other skater and coach would have filed a petition too. Why would any skater or any coach begrudge Jason and Kori's right to file the petition?
Even if there were any inexplicable begrudging, the only cause I would see would be concern over the potential reduction of available slots to two. The cause would not be bruising of someone's ego.​
And no reason for anyone on the USFS international committee to have a bruised ego, given that committee members were the ones with the authority to accept or deny the petition.

And now I will move on from discussion of the rumor.

When news came of Prince's death, I immediately thought of Jason ... b/c the shock and sense of loss understandably would be esp. great for him. And I thought of Shep's death, which had been a tough blow for Jason. Impressive that he skated so well at TCC regardless.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's Nessum Dorma.

Yes. I was just kidding. One of my fave operas - and Shoma's, Max's, and Shizuka Arakawa's music - and countless others, no doubt. Give me a good ole war horse any day! <3

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes. I was just kidding. One of my fave operas - and Shoma's, Max's, and Shizuka Arakawa's music - and countless others, no doubt. Give me a good ole war horse any day! <3

OK, sorry for being dense. :laugh: It was was 5 in the morning and I just woke up. :laugh:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Yeah, Nessun Dorma is one warhorse I have not gotten sick of in the slightest. I've seen some mind-blowing, incredible performances of it and listening to the music always touches me.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thx for your apology, Stitch.

In the interest of clearing the air over the rumor, I will say that I have been scratching my head over your references to bruised and fragile egos.
I think you are saying that Jason and Kori are the ones with bruised and fragile egos.

No, I am not saying Kori and Jason at all. I think that Kori and Jason bruised other people's egos when they went for the bye. I think the powers that be did not like being in that position of having to pick between Nathan and Jason and would have rathered he just stay quiet and not make an issue for them.
In some ways the committee's job would have been easier, and had less attention paid to it had Jason not applied for the bye. Sometimes people get illogically upset at being expected to do their job. I think they were annoyed that Jason's team followed the published rules for the bye rather than some secret or implied rules. For instance many online seemed to feel that byes should only be for medal contenders.... but that is not written out. They did not follow their own rules, and have said nothing positive about Jason since, so yeah... I think they were not thrilled with the bye petition. Frankly they sounded bitter in the recent Nick McCarvel, so that makes me think some egos were bruised and there was some annoyance about the situation. Based on the published criteria Jason should have been on the world team. They can have whatever criteria they want, but I do think they should publish it and follow it. Given how they just blew off their own rules, gave no clarification or statement, I think there were people who were not thrilled with him applying for the bye. I can't help but feel if there is not some bitterness, or bruised egos as i said before, then why would we not have heard some sorta of positive statement from USFSA? If they were not upset why would they not want to promote the idea of Jason coming back? Honestly I don't fully get why they don't want to protect/promote their assets so to speak... and their not doing so makes me worry that they don't see Jason as valuable anymore. Something strange seems to be going on.... it is what it is, but my theory was that the bye application was not well received.

I also don't know i fully agree that Adam is the current golden boy. Let's remember that Adam as the reigning silver medalist and as such highest placing returning skater was not even interviewed for NBC and was pretty much written off before Nationals. They may like him now, but only so far as he is useful to him. They will drop him like a hot potato once it is seen as beneficial to them to do so.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Back to Jason's first standing O as a senior at Nationals, that would be his SP to "Baliwood" by King City.
I was lucky to be there! Standing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTW6dT3Yjc

You all, the real hipsters were those were in Spokane Arena when he won his U.S. junior title, LOL. (I guess CoyoteChris...) He got a standing ovation there also. Actually mskater93, who posts here sometimes, is the ultimate hipster, having seen him in his Pre-Juv days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEh0bm-oRtM

Last edited: