Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Brown

Oh, I wish he'd go to worlds. I'd like to see that program skated better and see where it lands him.

Love how he seemed delighted even to finish 9th, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Oh, I wish he'd go to worlds. I'd like to see that program skated better and see where it lands him.

Love how he seemed delighted even to finish 9th, though.
    He said afterward his goal was top 10. So I think he thought that perhaps he might be out of contention of reaching that goal. So he reached his personal goal.

I'm with you; I admire Jeremy's grit today, but he really should go out on top and allow Jason a chance to go to Worlds. It seems strange that Jason's season would end on sort of an anti-climatic note.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I read somewhere that Yuka said today that Jeremy is going to Worlds

Sad for Jason, but sadder for Jeremy. Although not h I s best international result, he did at least not give up on the performance, which has been his usual method of operation. He risks that if he goes to Worlds and bombs he would have a lower note to retire on.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-14-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Anyone else notice that Jason got over 4 points more PCS today than in the team FS?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I read somewhere that Yuka said today that Jeremy is going to Worlds

Sad for Jason, but sadder for Jeremy. Although not h I s best international result, he did at least not give up on the performance, which has been his usual method of operation. He risks that if he goes to Worlds and bombs he would have a lower note to retire on.
    Yuka did say that, but Jeremy said after his FS that wasn't definite. He said that he was going to take some time off for the rest of the Olympics and then consider his plans.

As I said, I'm really hoping that he'll agree with all of us that his performance at the Olympics is probably the best he can do and to end on a happy note. (And I also hope that perhaps the USFSA might nudge him a bit too -- that that's doubtful).

Anyone else notice that Jason got over 4 points more PCS today than in the team FS?
    Yep. I think it was a bit of a final group bonus, but I think he'll be in the 8s from now on, which is great. I think if nothing else he established a positive rep with the judges, even with the mistakes in the FS today.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    While would have been nice to repeat his Nationals performance, but at least it wasn't a complete meltdown, a la Laëtitia Hubert from '92. He continued to perform, perform until the very end (it's something that Robin Cousins noted; he noted he STILL enjoyed the performance despite the mistakes).

As I said in the Men's Free Skate thread, I think part of it is getting used to his new role. He's always been sort of a dark horse, the guy that doesn't have the technical content but can wow with other stuff/consistency. When you think about his major victories in his career, they came when he wasn't necessarily the favorite. He won the JGPF in 2011 when Han Yan did poorly. Although Joshua Farris won Jr. Worlds last year it was Jason who won the free skate. And of course this year's nationals when Jeremy won the competition, but he came in and wowed everybody (and in that competition he was one of several men who could have gotten the spot).

He sort of had a taste of that at Skate America when he was second in the SP. Same thing happened in the free skate. But the Olympics is a whole new bag and if his goal was to get top 10, getting sixth in the SP and to skate in the final group I bet is overwhelming!

I'm sure Kori, in her infinite wisdom, will process all this with Jason later. My hope is that she will say, "You had a taste of what it's like to be a contender at the senior international level; now go and be that contender."

And I hope we'll get to see him at Worlds and see the positive results from that lessons he gained at the Olympics. I really want him to get a new PB TES as a senior!
    This makes sense. He's got experience coming in from behind. He now has a whole quad to learn how to manage our expectations. Except for those of us in Highland Park--we love him no matter what!

Custom Title
    So, I was resisting putting this in any form of writing...but I'll say this, Jeremy certainly earned a trip to worlds, but I can only hope that he decides to stay home. He has so very much to offer, and of course it is always possible that he has the worlds of a life time, but since I'm not a gambler, I'm thinking his chances of ending on a high note don't go up from here.

Another thing, he got no credit for his final 3Lo because they called the trip where he did no jump at all, an Axel. He then did a 2A a step later. So he lost 5 or more points on the loop.

Custom Title
    ^doris, do you think that was a good call about the 2axel. I think Tara said something like smart move, so just wondering if you think it was called correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    ^doris, do you think that was a good call about the 2axel. I think Tara said something like smart move, so just wondering if you think it was called correctly?
    This is sort of interesting. At Nationals, Jeremy slipped and missed his planed takeoff for his 3Loop, but composed himself and did the jump.

Jason, in essence, was trying to do the same thing, but the judges considered the slip as an aborted pass, hence taking away one of his passes and making is 3Loop invalid.

I am not at all sure. I thought if you don't rotate at all, it isn't a jump, but it appears the tech panel gets to be mind readers. I also haven't seen slow mo of the section of the FS with the axle in question. Maybe Jason did take off, but walleys and other half turn jumps are not counted as jumps, so I don't g e t it. I think if I were Kori,I might have challenged the call, but I haven't spent as much time with the singles rules as with dance.

I hope someone with more knowledge will explain the call.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-15-2014 at 02:29 AM.

I am not at all sure. I thought if you don't rotate at all, it isn't a jump, but it appears the tech panel gets to be mind readers. I also haven't seen slow mo of the SP. Maybe Jason did take off, but walleys and other half turn jumps are not counted as jumps, so I don't g e t it. I think if I were Kori,I might have challenged the call, but I haven't spent as much time with the singles rules as with dance.

I hope someone with more knowledge will explain the call.
    I don't claim to be right, but I think it's the fact that he sort of did a waxel and that he took off the ground, as Jeremy's was more of a slip.

I'll have to watch the video again.

Custom Title
    I didn't see his feet leave the ground, but, I had my heart in my throat....so, it would be interesting to understand this scoring better.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    This makes sense. He's got experience coming in from behind. He now has a whole quad to learn how to manage our expectations. Except for those of us in Highland Park--we love him no matter what!
    I know what you meant, but he has the entire quad to manage HIS own expectations.

And though I don't live in Highland Park, I will always cheer and be a fan of Jason regardless of the result. (And I will keep that NYT photo as my computer desktop for the rest of the Olympics. Actually it's just a gorgeous photo....it's perfect for winter...)

So will I always be a fan. Jason's skating makes me smile, even when he doesn't earn high scores.

Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 88 138 ... LastLast