Jason Brown | Page 45 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

TMC

Record Breaker
Hello! I am a newbie and couldn't find where to post a new thread in the Jason Brown forum, so I'm doing it here. I hope you don't mind. I've been reading some of your posts and are you guys ever on top of things! I am a new convert to figure skating because I happened to see (via Youtube) Jason Brown's fantastic performance in Boston in January. One look and I was hooked. I have a million questions about figure skating but I'll leave those for another time. In the meantime, I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I am a new member of the forum. I live in California and liked to watch ice skaters when I was a kid, then kind of moved on. Someone sent me a link to the Youtube video and I was just staggered by Jason's performance. I have been following him ever since. That's all for now!

Cheers,

alabhaois

Welcome alabhaois!

Loved your post especially now that there's discussion on another thread about the popularity of FS how to market it in the US and, 4,XX million hits notwithstanding, the consensus seems to be "no-one is going to become a fan because of one viral video" :laugh:

Obviously they're right in that it's not going to garner the (hundreds of) thousands of new & active fans that the sport needs, but I would still just love to quote your post on that thread ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
semi-newbie, and I think this deserves its own thread, but..

Jason and Rohene are skating in the same show together in Chicago! American Ice Theatre. Hope the link to a Facebook page works:

<<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=696759660369865&set=a.137271976318639.22619.135977363114767&type=1&theater>>

I would sell my firstborn and move to Chicago for this. Almost. :)

I am going to this show so I'll let you all know how it goes! Rohene wasn't listed when I got tix so I'm thrilled that I 'll be able to see him, too. The company itself looks like it does really interesting & kind of experimental work, so I'm really looking forward to it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Will do! I'm really hoping Jason doesn't do his MC Hammer exhibition program...I love pretty much everything he does but I have to admit that's not my favorite.....

Phew, I was starting to think I was the only one...

I like his "Fly Me To The Moon" ex, but I only saw the one fancam of it and it never appeared again.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Phew, I was starting to think I was the only one...

I like his "Fly Me To The Moon" ex, but I only saw the one fancam of it and it never appeared again.

Nope, you're definitely not alone - to me it's just kinda one dimensional. I would love to see him do A Question of U, but not sure if skaters ever do that in situations like this, or in Stars on Ice, which I'm also going to see.

I never saw fly me to the moon.

I saw a clip of Rohene from Holiday on Ice that was so so great - can't wait to see what he will do.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi Mrs P,

Thanks for your reply! I do have a question-- why did Jason not skate in Japan? Was he invited? Just curious.

Thanks!

a.

USFSA decided to split the major international assignments this year. They gave Jason the Olympics spot and they gave Max Aaron (who placed 3rd at Nationals) the spot at Worlds.

I wish Jason would have been able to skate at Worlds too...but I guess it all worked out in the end. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gosh-- I've got to get up-to-speed because I'm rather clueless about what's going on in the actual skating world. I have read that skating is the most watched part of the Olympics, and I've also heard that skating is o-u-t (hardly!). Bearing in mind my newness to everything, I want to put forth an opinion re Jason: I venture to say that I think he will change the face of figure skating. I think he already has. By being himself-- friendly, adorable, and a primo skater (the pony tail is a wonderful addition), I think he has already opened up new vistas to replace the tired, old traditional figure skating arena. I keep hearing about the quad-- honestly, just how much hinges on that? I think he's shows that there's more to skating than a quad, though I'm positive we will be witnessing it one of these days. I'm rambling, I know, but I'm so happy for him and happy to have discovered him and happy to be here with all of you.

So long for now!

a.

The quad matters to some folks on GS -- some believe doing them are essential to the technical advancement of the sport.

I can take it or leave it. I think if doing a quad means you're sloppy the rest of the program, I don't see the point.

And it's worth noting that Jason's video went viral despite the fact he had no quad in his program.

I love this Deadspin take on Jason Brown: http://deadspin.com/your-guide-to-jason-brown-the-skater-you-cant-help-bu-1522244096
If he won silver at the U.S. championships, why are you so sure he won't win an Olympic medal?

Because he can't do quadruple jumps, which is when a skater leaps into the air and completes four full rotations before landing. Quads are the most difficult jump to land, and in recent years they've essentially become a requirement for any Olympic hopeful. It doesn't matter how many perfect triples a skater lands; if he can't do a quad, he's probably not going to win anything.

So, you're saying Jason Brown kind of sucks.

No!

Well then how the hell is he going to become a household name if he can't even do a damn quad?

By being really, really awesome at everything else a figure skater does. Watching the biggest names in the sport go flying through the air and sticking quadruple toe loops is great, but there are other ways to put on a visually stunning program, and nobody understands that better than Brown. If the other skaters in the Olympics are the power pitchers of the sport, then consider Jason Brown the R.A. Dickey of figure skating. The other guys dominate with physical strength, but Brown dips and dances through his programs in a way that is just as impressive.

Which brings us to the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. After placing third in the short program standings, Brown came out for his free skate and did this:

[YT VIDEO HERE]

I'm not going to pretend to be the biggest figure skating fan in the world, but there is something undeniably affecting about that routine. And judging by the standing ovation Brown got from the crowd and the 3.8 million views that video has accrued on YouTube, I'm not the only one who thinks so. There's a relentlessness to that program, one that makes it hard not to get swept up by the precision and fluidity of Brown's movements.

But a performance like that doesn't just happen by accident. As The New York Times reveals, Brown's "Riverdance" program was just as daring as it was meticulously and uniquely constructed:

Because of the intricacy of the choreography, Brown and [choreographer Rohene] Ward regularly spent a two-hour lesson on just one five-second segment. Ward said it took three weeks for Brown to perform the footwork without stumbling, and only then did he add the arm and body movements.

[...]

To get the effect he wanted and the points Brown needed, there could be no significant slowing of the pace until the final note. This sets the program apart and is one of the keys to its appeal, but all that came at a price.

"When we started this program every day, he would say, 'This is impossible,' " Ade said. "Because it's nonstop. There are no choreographed breathing points after the first four seconds when he's staring down the judges. The only place he really gets to breathe is when he's spinning."

It's hard not to appreciate someone who isn't afraid to challenge the parameters of his sport. So Jason Brown can't do a quad? That's fine, he'll just put together a stunning program that has some of the most complicated choreography you've ever seen, and it will be so good that you'll have no choice but to stand and cheer for him when it's done.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the very interesting reply and quotes, Mrs P. It gives me new perspective, which I sorely need. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I loved that Riverdance performance so much, I honestly wonder if he can top it. I mean, after seeing it so many times over, I detect a couple of slight errors, but it's as close to perfect as I think anyone could get it. I hope he continues to choose music that's daring and beautiful and youthful. It's hard to believe he's so young, but when I see photos of him at 11, 12, 13-- I realize he's really quite the young man. (And an adorable child though, by his own admission, a bit of a handful)

Actually Jason's had a number of awesome programs pre-Riverdance. Obviously Riverdance is the program that made him famous....but some of us have loved his programs for years.

Here is my post of my Top 5 Jason Brown performances:

My personal top 5 Jason Brown performances

2013 Junior Worlds FS -- 2 lovely 3A, and two 3-3 combination with in the last 30 seconds. Plus all the usual lovely extensions, spins and such. :love:

Jason's 2011 Nationals FS -- Smashing senior debut for this kid. Even without a triple axel.

2011-2012 JGPF FS He won the competition with this program. However his Jr. Worlds performance was just as good, if not better. Such a haunting program. So amazing to watch with some distance from it.

2012 Nationals SP This is probably my favorite short program of his (Though if he keeps improving his current one, it might get displaced).

2011 Nationals SP Love the peppy up beat music and how Jason rises with it!

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm definitely pro quad - I'm a Plushy uber and Brian fan, so it almost goes without saying. This may be considered "shallow" perhaps, but I find it thrilling and exciting. I have yet to see One. Single. Person. claim that it is ALL that matters. If anyone sees such a claim, pray let me know, as I'd really like to - it would almost feel like seeing a unicorn! ;)

However, I'm not fretted for Jason. I'm sure he will conquer it - and I'm sure he won't allow his program to become a splatfest because of it. And he will become a bona fide gold threat when he gets it - mark my words!

Call me Action Auntie, if you wish. ;)

Cori

Rinkside
Personally I am Pro-Program I could watch a program with only singles and doubles if it is beautifully put together and a program with the most beautiful would be torture to watch if there is nothing to watch in between the jumps.

YAY!! my first post!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will do! I'm really hoping Jason doesn't do his MC Hammer exhibition program...I love pretty much everything he does but I have to admit that's not my favorite.....
Lucky duck! Wouldn't mind a YouTube vid either (jes sayin')
I wouldn't mind the Hammer shuffle either😉

mintx

On the Ice
Coach Kori won an award at the Best of US awards tonight!

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating · 2h
We are so proud to announce that @irokdamic is the first ever USG Building Dreams Award winner here at #BestOfUS!

It will be televised on April 7th on @NBCSN at 7pm ET!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yay, the Liebestraume link got reposted! Still my favourite FS of his.

Favourite Jasons:

SP: Grand Guignol (2011-2012)
LP: Liebestraume (2012-2013)
EX: Fly Me To The Moon (summer 2013)

LRK

Record Breaker
Loved it! Thanks for sharing, Mrs P! And thank goodness for it not being geoblocked - I was fully expecting it to be, and had already started an internal wail before clicking, just in advance.... I'm so glad Jason is having fun, and really, whilst I would have loved for him to have been at Worlds' - given the choice of Olympics or Worlds', I much more wanted him to have that Olympics experience - something special to savour, and to enjoy as I knew he would. (And bonding with Plushy - you must all excuse my uber-ness if that just makes me squee internally! And you must all think me crazy, but... I wasn't surprised. Delighted, yes - surprised, no. And no, I'm not claiming something ridiculous like "I just knew" - I mean, how could I? But yet, I thought... All right, I'm babbling and digressing, and being very un-Aunt-like! I hope you'll all excuse me!) I might have said this before - I can't recall - but this year it was without any specific pressure on him, and it gained him invaluable experience for the next Olympics - when I fully expect there to BE pressure. I'm hoping he will be a gold contender in 2018 - and maybe at next Worlds' as well - who knows, if he gets the quad by then. What do you think, fellow-Aunts and younger Brownmancers? (good one, golden :) )

Note on the Aunt thing... One does not need to be an old fuddy-duddy to be an Aunt. In fact, one need not be old at all. Why, I've been called Aunt since my early 20s at least! And my father - he was BORN an uncle! (His oldest sister's daughter was/is two years or so older than he. And yes, she calls him "uncle" - or "mamu" as is maternal uncle in Urdu.)