Jason Brown | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Loved it! Thanks for sharing, Mrs P! And thank goodness for it not being geoblocked - I was fully expecting it to be, and had already started an internal wail before clicking, just in advance.... I'm so glad Jason is having fun, and really, whilst I would have loved for him to have been at Worlds' - given the choice of Olympics or Worlds', I much more wanted him to have that Olympics experience - something special to savour, and to enjoy as I knew he would. (And bonding with Plushy - you must all excuse my uber-ness if that just makes me squee internally! And you must all think me crazy, but... I wasn't surprised. Delighted, yes - surprised, no. And no, I'm not claiming something ridiculous like "I just knew" - I mean, how could I? But yet, I thought... All right, I'm babbling and digressing, and being very un-Aunt-like! I hope you'll all excuse me!) I might have said this before - I can't recall - but this year it was without any specific pressure on him, and it gained him invaluable experience for the next Olympics - when I fully expect there to BE pressure. I'm hoping he will be a gold contender in 2018 - and maybe at next Worlds' as well - who knows, if he gets the quad by then. What do you think, fellow-Aunts and younger Brownmancers? (good one, golden :) )

Note on the Aunt thing... One does not need to be an old fuddy-duddy to be an Aunt. In fact, one need not be old at all. Why, I've been called Aunt since my early 20s at least! And my father - he was BORN an uncle! (His oldest sister's daughter was/is two years or so older than he. And yes, she calls him "uncle" - or "mamu" as is maternal uncle in Urdu.)

I've been an aunt since my early 20s as well. 21, to be precise. My brother is 11 years older than me, so he was 32 when my sister-in-law gave birth to two lovely twin girls! (Double aunt!). I was 25 when I became an aunt to my brother's youngest son. :)

I'm so thrilled that you had such a fun uber-filled moment with the Plushy/Jason bro-love. :)

Auntie Brownmancer sounds fun to me! Anyway to answer your question, LRK, I think Jason will be final group material in 2015, quad or no quad , i.e. he can finsh in the top 6 at his first Worlds -- assuming of course he makes it out of U.S. Nationals, which we sadly have learned with others is not always a sure thing. If he does get the quad, then, I say yes, he could be a medal contender in 2015. But I think it's better to have a gradual development and rise over the next quad rather than rise to the top quickly and fizzle out.

Really when you think about it, as awesome and talented Yuzuru is, he was hardly a fast riser to the OGM. He actually struggled a bit for his first season -- didn't even make the World team in Japan -- and for the first part of his second season before he got the world bronze in 2012. Hey really became OGM material in the third year of the quad (2012-2013).

merinheart

Rinkside
http://competitorradio.competitor.com/2014/03/jason-brown/
Jason did a great, 45+ minute interview on The Competitors radio show. A lot of it was about his training and mental preparation. Apparently one of the co-hosts used to coach his dad in little league back in the day! Jason also shared a touching conversation he had with his parents when he was younger regarding kids teasing him over his ponytail. :)

Auntie Brownmancer sounds fun to me! Anyway to answer your question, LRK, I think Jason will be final group material in 2015, quad or no quad , i.e. he can finsh in the top 6 at his first Worlds -- assuming of course he makes it out of U.S. Nationals, which we sadly have learned with others is not always a sure thing. If he does get the quad, then, I say yes, he could be a medal contender in 2015. But I think it's better to have a gradual development and rise over the next quad rather than rise to the top quickly and fizzle out.

I say he'll be a gold medal contender by 2016 Boston Worlds! Riverdance part two, anyone? :biggrin:

Yay, the Liebestraume link got reposted! Still my favourite FS of his.

Favourite Jasons:

SP: Grand Guignol (2011-2012)
LP: Liebestraume (2012-2013)
EX: Fly Me To The Moon (summer 2013)

My picks as well, although his Prince SP really grew on me. My other favorite is the piece he did for the Garrett Kling Challenge. Sublime. :love: Love the music too. I hope next season he goes back to a more lyrical exhibition program even though his MC Hammer was a lot of fun and all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the Competitor interview! I love the fact that Jason trains like a triathlete.

I'm really impressed with Bob Babbitt and Paul Huddle as interviewers. I appreciate that they were willing to talk more about the athletic aspects of figure skating and that they did their homework about Jason's programs and the sport itself. A thorough interview.

I think what I found interesting is that Jason himself doesn't consider himself the top dog, even in the U.S. Contrary to what some people seem to insist, Jason seems to recognize that he won't get to the top echelon of the sport without a quad. And he knows that he can't depend on other men in the U.S. to keep messing up on their quads to get on the world team. I like that attitude actually. I think if he's unwilling to buy into his own hype then he'll be more focus on doing what he needs to do to be competitive internationally.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I've been an aunt since my early 20s as well. 21, to be precise. My brother is 11 years older than me, so he was 32 when my sister-in-law gave birth to two lovely twin girls! (Double aunt!). I was 25 when I became an aunt to my brother's youngest son. :)

I'm so thrilled that you had such a fun uber-filled moment with the Plushy/Jason bro-love. :)

Really when you think about it, as awesome and talented Yuzuru is, he was hardly a fast riser to the OGM. He actually struggled a bit for his first season -- didn't even make the World team in Japan -- and for the first part of his second season before he got the world bronze in 2012. Hey really became OGM material in the third year of the quad (2012-2013).

The young aunt thing - cousins' children in my case. And when I got married - at 21 - I had the fun experience of being called "aunt" (or "mami" - short for "moumani" - maternal uncle's wife) by what felt like quite a bunch of teenage girls... (my husband was 26, so he wasn't an overaged uncle either :) ) And when I say "fun" I mean that it really amused me - I actually liked it. :)

Plushy/Jason - Yes! Thanks for understanding so well! It always gives me a thrill when I scroll down the participants list of one of Plushy's shows and see the very-expected name of Brian. My dream - and I hate saying this as I feel as if I might jinx it (so guys, just pretend you never saw me say it, okay? ;) ) - is to see Jason's name there one day. He just seems to be exactly the type of skater Plushy likes to include in his shows - a skater with a personality and charisma of his own, and one who will entertain and charm every audience regardless of nationality. (Note: I don't know if ttis is widely known, but Ryan Bradley was actually due to perform in Plushy's shows a couple of years ago - but then the whole thing fell apart; the whole thing was cancelled due to some organisatorial difficulties that I never got my head around. It was such a pity that - I was so disappointed.... )

And yes, I agree with what you say - it will take the time it takes for Jason. Each skater progresses at his own pace - and Jason keeps steadily improving. I'm a patient fan, so you need not fear I'll be clamouring all over the place for a multitude of gold medals NOW!!!! - or preferably yesterday... In fact, if people underestimate his potential, it might be all the better. We don't want that type of "hype" where people make unreasonable demands - and then blame the skater for not living up to the "hype" they themselves created! There's enough of that type of thing going around - I don't want to have anything of that kind associated with Jason! I'm sure none of us here do.

LRK

Record Breaker
Talking of which... (Ultimate Cuteness, that is) - TMC, I must say I just adore your avatar! (I must try to get my Sassi avatar some day... )

TMC

Record Breaker
Talking of which... (Ultimate Cuteness, that is) - TMC, I must say I just adore your avatar! (I must try to get my Sassi avatar some day... )

Why thank you from Katinka!

Yep, can't go wrong with cats in sinks/bowls :love:

merinheart

Rinkside
Sarah Hughes Exclusive: Team USA Reunion At Best Of U.S.
Brown had performed on the “TODAY” show in the morning to promote the Stars on Ice skating show — on which he will tour the country over the next few weeks — then hopped on a plane to D.C. and changed into his first suit “since my bar mitzvah,” he proudly exclaimed as he modeled the dashing threads. As delightful as ever, Brown graciously let everyone who wanted to touch his bronze medal from Sochi hold it, and mentioned that his life has been such a whirlwind these last few weeks that he hasn’t been able to check how many views his Riverdance program has received on YouTube. (It currently has a healthy 4.3 million views.) He spoke of how much fun he’s been having since being named to the Olympic Team and how much wear he’s getting out of his suit: he wore it at a Hollywood movie premiere last week and plans to wear it to a handful of the prom invites he’s gotten. Hint: High school girls, if you’re interested, he said he’s accepted every one he’s received so far, so now is your chance!
:eek:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's pretty awesome. So he's able to go to them despite doing Stars on Ice?

It would be so fun to have Jason as a prom date. Is there a way we can organize some sort of auntie prom night (complete with 1980s music) and invite Jason? ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think we need to arrange a "Brownmancer Prom" :p

But see, this is the way I prefer it. This isn't like that douche who asked Gracie with the big flashy social media crap and putting her on the spot with a TV show; obviously these have happened behind the scenes, and he's not making a big song and dance about it, and neither are his dates.

Still, I wish I had had a date like Jason for my formal.

Jason's prom count: 2. I wonder how many invites he's actually got?

babyskate

On the Ice
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNAJgRFbXw

Not a great video, but a fancam of the SOI intro and Jason's opening number to Riverdance.

Thank you for posting this. Looks like it was a crowd pleaser. I especially love hearing someone sitting near the videographer saying "I love this kid". That's how we all feel. I am so fortunate to be going this Wed in NJ. I cannot wait to see Riverdance again as I was one of the lucky ones to see it in Boston. That performance will always be one of the memorable days of my life as I had been hooked since his senior US debut at Nationals 2011.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Based on that video, it looks like he's cut quite a few elements out of Riverdance?

babyskate

On the Ice
I saw Jason last night at Stars on Ice in NJ. Of course he was amazing in his Riverdance number even without as many jumps. The crowd loved it. He skated his MC Hammer exhibition program for his second number which is a crowd pleaser but I am looking forward to a new exhibition number for next season. It was nice to see how many fans were there specifically for him. Overall a great show with Josh Farris also skating very nicely with some big jumps, Meryl and Charlie, beyond beautiful, and Mirai really really impressive.

maggie2514

Spectator
babyskate, can you give me an idea of when Jason performs in the show? I'll be taking my 5 year-old next month, so I'll need to be strategic on when we can visit the ladies'!

OrdinaryDreamer

Rinkside
I remember that when they mentioned him on the Olympic coverage this year, I freaked out because I was so happy that he actually made it. Some people here in the American Midwest don't think they'll amount to anything special because they're 'just some midwestern kid' but Jason has shown a lot of people that location has nothing to do with potential and ability. If you can dream it, you can do it! (Also, I realized that he lives and trains only a state away from where I live, which surprised me. If there are any shows he's involved in that are near me, from now on, I'll definitely go cheer him on.) He didn't even care whether he got medals or not, he was just enjoying being there and having the chance to perform alongside so many other great athletes. I think it was Plushenko who called him "the embodiment of the Olympic spirit".

Honestly, he seems to be both a wonderful performer and a wonderful person, from what I've witnessed. He's so sincere! And, dang, does that kid ever stop giggling and grinning? His attitude is so positive, no matter what, and he hasn't let success get to his head. I'm convinced that, out of everyone who's a skater or a fan of figure skating, he's probably the biggest fangirl/fanboy of us all, judging by his reactions! I don't think anyone could have a bad attitude or stay in a bad attitude around him. Maybe that's his superpower of sorts: the ability to make anyone cheer up or lighten up.

babyskate

On the Ice
babyskate, can you give me an idea of when Jason performs in the show? I'll be taking my 5 year-old next month, so I'll need to be strategic on when we can visit the ladies'!

He is the first solo of the first half of the show after a short group number and then he introduces the 2nd half of the show on the mike but is about the 6 th or 7th to skate. Sadly he was not in any of the group numbers, probably because he is not doing the whole tour. Enjoy the show!

merinheart

Rinkside
Thanks for the report, babyskate! Do you know how early the doors open? Thinking about taking my goddaughter to a show next month and hoping that if we get there early enough maybe we can catch Jason during practice. We would love to meet him (ok, it's mostly me) and it seems like he's one of the few who actually makes a concerted effort to meet fans whenever & wherever he can.

And yay the clip of Kori winning the USG Building Dreams award is finally up on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFUYBrEKkV8

So sweet, Kori didn't know she would be getting the award.:) I think that footage of her and Jason on the rink was shot in Sochi on that day when they went up to the mountains. I was wondering when it would air because at the time the USFSA was teasing that it was for GMA but it was actually for the Best of U.S. show.

Also spotted on twitter from a fan who was at the Hershey SOI show -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk5CO7fIEAA6sJe.jpg

Jason practicing a throw salchow with Simon Shnapir! They're even wearing watching outfits, OMG! :laugh: