Jason Brown | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Nah, he takes off with two feet, so my guess is he's just doing a rotational jump, not an actual skating jump. Still very cool though.

Just goes to show what I know!

On another note, barely awake, yet but saw SOI here in Chicago last night. Unfortunately no pix or video as I stupidly left phone at home. Crowd loved show. I am so happy I got to see Jason do Riverdance live - it was beautifully skated (no falls) & he has a really special presence - such gorgeous line & musicality. MC Hammer was short, showy & crowd loved, tho he did fall once. Not my favorite piece but he really puts on show & his split jumps are well over 180 degrees - amazing!

Slightly off topic, but Josh Farris was really cute in the men's group number & his solo was lovely. Also finally understood why people rave about Jeremy's skating skills. Davis & White were fantastic - I was especially struck by how beautifully she moves, & the Rachmaninoff (?) in particular was great.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, you are so lucky! I am so jealous. When you are more awake, please do tell more!

And I don't mind any off-topic details on Josh's solo, since I'm starting to be resigned to never seeing a video... :(

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oh, you are so lucky! I am so jealous. When you are more awake, please do tell more!

And I don't mind any off-topic details on Josh's solo, since I'm starting to be resigned to never seeing a video... :(

Okay - apologies in advance for semi-hijacking this thread to tell a little more about SOI:

So overall, the most fun for me was actually seeing You Tube / Ice Network people come alive! Seriously, everone did a great job, and as it was my first time ever seeing professional skaters live, I was actually quite awed, especially at their speed. Because they closed the upper level, the house actually seemed fairly full (though it was not). What the crowd lacked in size, though, it definitely made up for in loudness and enthusiasm - in fact, when the skaters bowed to each corner of the rink after finishing a number, there seemed to be a competition to see which side could give the loudest roars!

Jason got a standing ovation for Riverdance, which was well deserved. I really got chills when the music came on and he began to slowly raise his arms (although annoyingly enough, just as he began, somebody walked in late and began climbing into the center of the row right ahead of me, temporarily blocking my view - I could have killed the guy!). Interestingly, people always talk about his infectious smile, etc., but in those opening moments he is just very still and concentrated, and it's magical. I was a little disappointed that some of the elements I most loved (e.g. the tano lutz and the hydroblade into the double axel) were taken out to make this into a show program, but there were at least four jumps left in (at least some of which were triples), and his brilliant spins, so there was a lot to like - the very end, where he goes so fast he blurs - is quite amazing.

I don't remember what Josh skated to, but I was so impressed with his elegance and poise and beautiful posture - everything he did, he did well. It was a much shyer, more inward skate than the group number, where he really hammed it up, so it will be interesting to see if the show style has an effect on next years' programs. At first I was thinking that he was a bit like Jeremy, but then I decided that he has his own style, which I like a lot.

Otherwise - I thought all the skaters did a fine job. I very much liked Gracie Gold's All that Jazz, and hope we get to see a little more of her natural personality in future programs - I suspect that she's not really the princess she was packaged to be this year. Loved Mirai's Demons - very expressive, and gorgeous spins. Ashley is very spunky & skated very well. Alissa is very ethereal and moves beautifully - I think she only did a total of two jumps, one single in the first program and a double in the second, but she is still very lovely. Both of Jeremy's numbers worked for me (except his posture - I never knew it made such a difference!!). Castelli & Schnapir did some really thrilling lifts... Ryan Bradley fell at the beginning of his second number, but the crowd completely supported him, he went on to do very well, and he got a huge ovation at the end. The girl's group number was very odd - they all wore tutus which were quite ugly and didn't fit well - very distracting! My takeaway: the show didn't really hang together that well as a show - it was more a collection of solos with a few group numbers thrown in - but they all did a great job!

And now, to return to the topic of this thread (sort of): when I went into the lobby at intermission, I noticed a large group, including a mom and several kids - and the mom was Kori Ade! She must have been sitting near me, because she was in the lobby again when I left. This was not to be my last Kori sighting: this morning, I went to the skate shop to have the orthotics in my (new) skates checked, and as I was getting ready to leave, a large group came in, and unbelievably enough, it was Kori and her entourage again, there to have her new skates heat molded! Since she was definitely in private / family mode both times, I didn't approach her, but it made me realize how small the skating world is. Had I spoken to her, I would have told her that her daughters are beautiful (as is she, of course), but it just didn't seem appropriate....

So now I'm looking forward even more to the American Ice Theatre show at the end of the month - Jason & Rohene in one show - can't wait!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thankyou so much for the report, papagena! It sounds like you had a marvellous time, I'm so pleased!

(You'll be pleased to hear that the show number has had an impact on Josh; he's said that he's hoping his SP will be "light-hearted". Hooray!)

And you're going to the Ice Theatre show!?? Oh my goodness, both Jason AND Rohene! I'm so jealous :p and of course I hope you have a wonderful time!

*living vicariously through pretty much everyone else and awaiting SOI tour of Australia...one day...right?*

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thankyou so much for the report, papagena! It sounds like you had a marvellous time, I'm so pleased!

(You'll be pleased to hear that the show number has had an impact on Josh; he's said that he's hoping his SP will be "light-hearted". Hooray!)

And you're going to the Ice Theatre show!?? Oh my goodness, both Jason AND Rohene! I'm so jealous :p and of course I hope you have a wonderful time!

*living vicariously through pretty much everyone else and awaiting SOI tour of Australia...one day...right?*

Did I see somewhere that Australia has a Senior B? Maybe Josh, Jason or Aaron will participate and you'll get to see them live! In any case I am greatly looking forward to the Ice Theatre show & will try to be a little more observant & less star struck.....

babyskate

On the Ice
You beat me to it Mrs. P. I was just going on to post it. What a great article and I also agree wholeheartedly with her choice and what she said.

Just thought I'd add an update... Jason tweeted today (with a picture) that Rohene is back and helping him on the upcoming season's program! :) It makes my "I-Can't-Wait-For-It-To-Be-Skating-Season" meter go off in excitement!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Amy Rosewater nominated Jason Brown for IceNetwork's person of the year:
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/05/08/73961176

I pretty much agree with everything. :biggrin:

Thanks Mrs P. for this beautiful article which highlights what makes Jason so special. Lovely accompanying photo too.

I really do think Jason and Yuzuru, although each has a distinctive style of his own, have certain similarities: the natural charisma they radiate which makes them compelling viewing, having the great Evgeni Plushenko openly call himself a fan of each (no mean feat that), and ... both a having a thing for pairs skating ;), as the article quotes Jason as having "always wanted to be thrown" and stating he's been testing out throws with American teammate Simon Shapnir, while Yuzuru in the latest Shib sibs vlog was seen in a pairs lift with his Japanese teammate Ryuichi Kihara. They seem to have the same skating soul, and I'm so looking forward to their new programs this coming season. :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks Mrs P. for this beautiful article which highlights what makes Jason so special. Lovely accompanying photo too.

I really do think Jason and Yuzuru, although each has a distinctive style of his own, have certain similarities: the natural charisma they radiate which makes them compelling viewing, having the great Evgeni Plushenko openly call himself a fan of each (no mean feat that), and ... both a having a thing for pairs skating ;), as the article quotes Jason as having "always wanted to be thrown" and stating he's been testing out throws with American teammate Simon Shapnir, while Yuzuru in the latest Shib sibs vlog was seen in a pairs lift with his Japanese teammate Ryuichi Kihara. They seem to have the same skating soul, and I'm so looking forward to their new programs this coming season. :)

Me too! I fully expect theirs to be the rivalry to replace D/W-V/M this coming quad :D

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Me too! I fully expect theirs to be the rivalry to replace D/W-V/M this coming quad :D[/QUOTE]

That will be such a treat for us fans! :)

And yes, one more similarity: Both Jason's ponytail and Yuzuru's Winnie the Pooh have their own twitter handle. How cool is that? ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just thought I'd add an update... Jason tweeted today (with a picture) that Rohene is back and helping him on the upcoming season's program! :) It makes my "I-Can't-Wait-For-It-To-Be-Skating-Season" meter go off in excitement!

Between that and Joshua instagramming a pic of an empty session labelled #choreographytime I might have just flipped to the other side of stir-crazy.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Any news that he will have finally quad in programs ? I am not sure if I didn't read something last weeks that there is still not 100 % confidence he will have it next season :think:

TMC

Record Breaker
Between that and Joshua instagramming a pic of an empty session labelled #choreographytime I might have just flipped to the other side of stir-crazy.

:laugh:

I'm freaking out - DWTS is about to finish and it's at least 2 whole months before we start getting info on music and such. How will I cope?

TMC

Record Breaker
Any news that he will have finally quad in programs ? I am not sure if I didn't read something last weeks that there is still not 100 % confidence he will have it next season :think:

I read the same interview I think, he says he's probably not going to have it for next season. BUT I immediately thought that perhaps he's playing it safe and just saying that he won't have it but is really aiming to - like he doesn't want to get into the same situation as with the 3axel where in every interview for years he said "it's coming" until nobody really believed him. That's what I'd do, anyway.

LRK

Record Breaker
Didn't he say that it wouldn't be ready for the first competitions of the autumn? Or do I misremember? (Very likely, that - my mind is like a sieve - and that is when it's actually working. ;) ) In which case, he may put it in later in the season, also isn't he training it every day, I think? Anyway, I'm not fretting - it will come. :)