Jason Brown | Page 545 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
No worries! Toronto, although it doesn't have the Old World charm of places like Montreal and especially Quebec City, is a vibrant and energetic city with lots of green spaces. I'm not sure Oakville (which is mostly known for the Ford Plant) is as exciting (though I hope I'm wrong), but you will be close to the green space the rink is set on. Let me know if you need any assistance with your stay. I can tell you there is GO (light rail/inter-city bus) service between Union Station in downtown TO and Oakville, in case you prefer to stay in TO, though if there are hotels near the rink, I suspect they'd be cheaper than rooms in TO proper (plus you'd have a shorter commute). The ride from the Oakville GO station to the rink will take a half hour, so that has to be added onto the trip from TO.

I have tickets to Thursday and Friday at the ACI, but unfortunately was unwell and slept through the opening of the main sale of tickets yesterday and so have nothing covering Saturday. Although I have a faint hope I might still get something, I'd be at least happy to do a meet-up of fans on Thurs or Fri. And having security in numbers is a good thing for an event with hundreds of women and one (1) washroom. There is a second one but I imagine that it will be for the athletes (very understandable!).

With luck Jason and other members of Team Cricket will be there as it is so close, perhaps as fellow fans, even if their schedule requires them to compete elsewhere. Which makes me wonder, what GP assignments will Jason likely get? Would he go to SC again so to avoid Nathan at SA (I'm assuming N will choose it)? If so, hurray, because I already bought all-event passes for SC.

Ooh thank you so much for all the info! I will have to start looking into places to stay and flights and stuff. I’m kind of wondering if I might stay in the city and maybe rent a car and drive out to the rink - I’ll have to check prices. Is Toronto driving okay? I’m used to Chicago (not bad) and Denver (awful!!!) so I suppose I could handle it. It would be great to do a get together either Thurs or Fri, but I’m so sorry to hear you couldn’t get Saturday tickets. Do you think they’ll sell more later on? In any case, if for some reason I have to cancel, now I know what to do with my tix! :). I’ll keep you posted. And keep my fingers crossed that Jason, Gabby, Evgenia, Yuzuru, Boyang, and Junwahn all compete!

Re Jason: I guess we’ll find out about the GPs in about a week? He only has one guaranteed this year bc he didn’t do Worlds. I would imagine he’ll be offered two anyway, but who knows - he might need a host pick from Skate America. He did Skate Canada and NHK last year. I would like to see him do SC again, but I guess there are a lot of factors in play. He’s gotten NHK several times and I know he loves JP, but he has had bad luck there - not to mention that with Yuzuru or Shoma - or both - plus possibly Nathan - it could be a tough field. I guess this is a transition year for him so if he doesn’t medal on the GP or make the GPF it wouldn’t be awful- but I think he needs to regain his confidence so hope that whatever comps he does go well for him.

Regarding the training pix: I notice in the strength training he is hiding out in the back of the group. Since we know he’s very slow to pick up new choreo, I wonder if he’s struggling with that in the group classes. Hope not, but I’m really loving the little peeks we're getting into TCC training!

ETA: did you guys see the Jason IG story about training (not just the video clip)? It’s funny! And Jason is super scruffy!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Choreography? I think Shae Lynn is doing their SP? (Tarah and Danny that is)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am starting to think that Borser brought Jason on to help manage publicity and, really he is doing a great job.

Look at how happy Evgenia looks?, look how happy all her fans and Jason's fans are? It is just the right amount of information to keep the fans happy and not intrude on the skaters. And really it likely makes things more comfortable. When you keep the fans well fed, they don't start looking for scraps. Due to Jason, now one is circling like a shark looking for info.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Jason is a good fit in Toronto but honestly can’t help think long term that they will groom him to eventually become a coach and choreoghy expert here. Wasn’t it a choreographer that pleaded his case to Brian. Either way...I think this whole Cricket Club experience will be very beneficial to him. I’m excited to see how he performs next season but I suspect he’ll have a say in what direction he goes and everyone will help him get there.

Good Luck to Jason.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think Jason is a good fit in Toronto but honestly can’t help think long term that they will groom him to eventually become a coach and choreoghy expert here. Wasn’t it a choreographer that pleaded his case to Brian. Either way...I think this whole Cricket Club experience will be very beneficial to him. I’m excited to see how he performs next season but I suspect he’ll have a say in what direction he goes and everyone will help him get there.

Good Luck to Jason.

It was Tracy Wilson. Anything can happen. but I haven’t ever heard him say he wants to coach or do choreo.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was Tracy Wilson. Anything can happen. but I haven’t ever heard him say he wants to coach or do choreo.

Yeah...I get that but with his personality and ability to connect with people combined with the level at which he can deliver choreography I guess it’s just natural to want to see him eventually take the route of choreographer and TCC would be such a great place to do that.

I’m probably better off just to see where this path takes him competitively first :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
To be fair, nobody expected him to end up in Toronto/Brian Orser in the first place a year ago or even six months ago. He's in a new training environment with new people. His experiences here and in other places -- he's being doing those Grassroots to Champions workshops too -- may prompt him to shift his career plans. He's 23. Plenty of time to change one's mind on career plans.

TCC does seem to be a nice breeding ground to develop and there does seem to be a lot of different career opportunities for former competitive skaters. Bryce Davidson was there for a while and now I see Joey Russell is there too (he was in the end of that stroking video Paige posted) And I'm sure Paige would love for Jason to pinch hit during spin sessions!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back to a little OT on Tarah’s visit (Jason is rocking the scruff:biggrin: )

She had another earlier IG story where she, Jordan and BenJ made it to a concert and actually stayed.:) I think the Macklemore choreographer who works with Kori set them up?

Anyway, she flew to Toronto to complete the 7K circle:laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On Ice Perspectives has a video of Jason's catchfoot spin, taken from the ice:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkSZRdZlLpp/?taken-by=oniceperspectives

I :luv17: OnIce Perspectives and I :luv17: this video.

One more revolution in a jump, meh:confused2: The athleticism, grace and determination required for a move like *this* is why I watch figure skating. :agree:

Respect. The. Spin.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Good Luck to Jason.

Do you not recall from the Super Cute Joint Interview Of Cuteness (which I really must remember to retrieve from IN and save somewhere before the end of the month) that Jason, very unlike Joshua, was not very good at the whole choreography thing?

Ross74

Medalist
Anybody identify any food items in Jason's grocery bags from his IGStory besides the Multigrain Cheerios? Any bagged mi... ? Sorry, won't go there. :)
Or should I say sorey. ;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1010646082559209472?s=21

I thought it was super sweet that he made a point of mentioning Kori in this post and posting all those photos of them in past years.

Kori wasn’t perfect and obviously it was time to move on, but she brought Jason quite far and I’m glad he is making that point.

Very classy post from Jason, and also a sweet exchange between him and Tarah: Tarah: Why does it look like Kori hasn't aged at all? Jason: I know right?!?!? It's not fair.

Although I'm still :scratch: and :scratch3: over the IG photo of Jason in the fake sombrero and the fake lei. I'm assuming Toronto has some strange mash-up of Chipotle and L&L Hawaiian Barbecue:laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ross74

Medalist
I'm catching up after being away for the weekend. Jason mentioned in an IGStory that he visited Jackson on Saturday about his boots. Here's a pic that Raj posted with the comment, " Always a pleasure seeing this amazing young man. What a great ambassador for the sport https://www.instagram.com/p/BkXrNoSFuGi/?hl=en&taken-by=rajmisir

So what's up with Jason wearing his knit beanie lately away from the rink when it's summer? :laugh: Has he always done this?