Jason Brown | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

alabhaois

On the Ice
I think that the best athletes can be that way. We call it "white line fever". They can be lovely and sweet and all things nice off the ice/field, and once they get on it...well, it's like Plushenko, isn't it? Cocky and confident on the ice, but off the ice, happily worshipping young skaters and signing autographs and being a general sweetheart.

There was an Australian fast bowler, the greatest ever, Mr Glenn McGrath. Off the field, he was a lovely, wonderful man, a caring family man, a darling. On the field, he was a snarling, spitting, sledging, snorting, roaring quick who wanted nothing more than to take wickets by whatever means was necessary.

Thanks for telling me about "white line fever." So essentially (e.g., Mr McGrath) he *is* a nice person-- it was just that he was fiercely competitive. Is that the same thing? Or is it more of a calculated thing? Curiouser and curiouser!! :think:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, although I know the frou frou costumes are a grand tradition (and I started with Toller Cranston, who initiated the frou frou costume tradition), how refreshing to see the black t-shirt/black pants look. Despite the bubbly teen persona, this young man is an athlete, and seeing the arms and the black t shirt reminds one of that basic fact. (is that part of the cougar club. :) Sorry, I'm too old even for cougar status, I'll stick to auntie....)

alabhaois

On the Ice
Also, although I know the frou frou costumes are a grand tradition (and I started with Toller Cranston, who initiated the frou frou costume tradition), how refreshing to see the black t-shirt/black pants look. Despite the bubbly teen persona, this young man is an athlete, and seeing the arms and the black t shirt reminds one of that basic fact. (is that part of the cougar club. :) Sorry, I'm too old even for cougar status, I'll stick to auntie....)

LOL!! I'M too old for cougar status but... well, one has to admit he's an appealing person, brimming with charisma. I can't really put my finger on it but he's loaded with it. So, in noticing all of the different ages of fans (as in the audience January in Boston), people "young and old" (hate that expression) were taken with him. It was verging on hysteria! And yes, he looked great in all black, only I wasn't always able to tell what moves his lower body was making because of the black background (where normally those ads would be).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for telling me about "white line fever." So essentially (e.g., Mr McGrath) he *was* a nice person-- it was just that he was fiercely competitive. Is that the same thing? Or is it more of a calculated thing? Curiouser and curiouser!! :think:

Yes. Pigeon is a very good man. But he was fiercely competitive and always wanted to win, and it was almost a split personality. The roaring angry fast bowler was an act, but it was an act born of competitiveness as you say.

I don't think Jason has it yet. He's still very much the same happy bubbly person on the ice as off it, though he is also capable of the dramatic shift as we now see.

Don't get too excited; he wore a plain white shirt and black pants for the debut of Riverdance, too. The training clothes were just placeholders; I'm interested to see what he's going to wear this year.

alabhaois

On the Ice
LOL, I don't know if I'm more familiar. But I've been a fan for some time. :) Some folks on here have been fans of his since he was in juvenile!

What I think I find interesting is that yes -- as you pointed out -- he has the happy-go-lucky side. But he also s also competitive and strategic. Just because you're happy and love life doesn't mean you let people walk all over you.

As the saying goes, you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar. :)

He seems so artless-- I do hope there isn't any "real" calculation behind it.

Having lived as long as I have, I do know that one can never be perpetually happy-- Life just doesn't work that way.
Maybe that's what makes him special.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
LOL!! I'M too old for cougar status but... well, one has to admit he's an appealing person, brimming with charisma. I can't really put my finger on it but he's loaded with it. So, in noticing all of the different ages of fans (as in the audience January in Boston), people "young and old" (hate that expression) were taken with him. It was almost an hysteria! And yes, he looked great in all black, only I wasn't always able to tell what moves he was making (my screen has a dark cast to it).

I consider anyone who is older than Jason by a lot to be on Cougar status, LOL. :) Anyway, auntie fans is probably more PG for these boards. :biggrin:

I was watching him at practice in Boston and I sat next to this local family (they were from Cambridge, to be more precise). They weren't figure skating fans, but just decided to attend practice as a Saturday morning family activity. Anyway, they LOVED Jason! I mean it was just a practice and people were going wild for him! The father taped his Riverdance run through, which he later sent to me...and it was amazing how captivating that performance was even though it was just a practice!!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/16/63967842/joyous-brown-becomes-overnight-paris-sensation

This was from when he was at Trophee Eric Bompard before all the viral craziness... The french audience LOVED him.

alabhaois

On the Ice
Oh I don't know, this one is pretty death-by-cardio-gauntlet too. But it looks like he's kept the pounds on at least this time! ;) I'm not sure if it's an illusion of the poor video sizing, but I think he might actually have...more in the engine room, so to speak! :eek::

LOL!! That's funny you mention that because when I saw Stars on Ice (on TV), I noticed that he seemed... well, heavier. But then I chalked it up to perhaps SOI having an inferior camera but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

:rolleye:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
<<Don't get too excited; he wore a plain white shirt and black pants for the debut of Riverdance, too. The training clothes were just placeholders; I'm interested to see what he's going to wear this year. >>

Oh, I have no doubt that they were placeholders. I envision a blousy kind of purple for Tristan et Iseult (I hope they take it easy on the sequins) and a zoot suit take-off for Juke.

As long as it not a male version of that horrid backless catsuit Ashley Cain was wearing. :bang:

alabhaois

On the Ice
I consider anyone who is older than Jason by a lot to be on Cougar status, LOL. :) Anyway, auntie fans is probably more PG for these boards. :biggrin:

I was watching him at practice in Boston and I sat next to this local family (they were from Cambridge, to be more precise). They weren't figure skating fans, but just decided to attend practice as a Saturday morning family activity. Anyway, they LOVED Jason! I mean it was just a practice and people were going wild for him! The father taped his Riverdance run through, which he later sent to me...and it was amazing how captivating that performance was even though it was just a practice!!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/16/63967842/joyous-brown-becomes-overnight-paris-sensation

This was from when he was at Trophee Eric Bompard before all the viral craziness... The french audience LOVED him.

Yep! He has SOMETHING (maybe lots of things?) that appeals to many different people-- he cuts across all borders (or most, anyway). That's one of the main things about him that intrigues me. :p

alabhaois

On the Ice
<<Don't get too excited; he wore a plain white shirt and black pants for the debut of Riverdance, too. The training clothes were just placeholders; I'm interested to see what he's going to wear this year. >>

Oh, I have no doubt that they were placeholders. I envision a blousy kind of purple for Tristan et Iseult (I hope they take it easy on the sequins) and a zoot suit take-off for Juke.

As long as it not a male version of that horrid backless catsuit Ashley Cain was wearing. :bang:

From what I can tell, his costumes have always been elegant. Let's hope that continues! I'll have to find the horrid backless catsuit that Ashley Cain wore. Sounds... interesting.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL!! That's funny you mention that because when I saw Stars on Ice (on TV), I noticed that he seemed... well, heavier. But then I chalked it up to perhaps SOI having an inferior camera but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

One thing to bear in mind was that Jason lost twelve pounds training Riverdance (twelve pounds he really didn't have in the first place). So he was actually thinner than usual during the season. Then when the Olympics were over I noticed that he looked better, and the weight seemed to be coming back on. Now it looks like he might have put on a bit more muscle in the "engine room", which is good. Hope he can keep it this year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
From what I can tell, his costumes have always been elegant. Let's hope that continues! I'll have to find the horrid backless catsuit that Ashley Cain wore. Sounds... interesting.

I'm glad you missed the horror that was his first Prince costume. There was nothing elegant about that. *covers eyes*

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm glad you missed the horror that was his first Prince costume. There was nothing elegant about that. *covers eyes*

Yeah, that was probably the worst costume from him. I felt he looked like a boy trying to play dress-up Prince, i.e. I understood the concept, but it was all wrong given his figure at the time

alabhaois

On the Ice

I didn't realize there was another Prince costume. What happened to it? Negative reactions? Just curious. (is there a link?)

LOL-- this is like a Saturday night slumber party!! Only we're not together in person!! It's still fun. :laugh:

alabhaois

On the Ice
Yeah, that was probably the worst costume from him. I felt he looked like a boy trying to play dress-up Prince, i.e. I understood the concept, but it was all wrong given his figure at the time

Oh, I'm going to have to hunt this one down! ;)

alabhaois

On the Ice
One thing to bear in mind was that Jason lost twelve pounds training Riverdance (twelve pounds he really didn't have in the first place). So he was actually thinner than usual during the season. Then when the Olympics were over I noticed that he looked better, and the weight seemed to be coming back on. Now it looks like he might have put on a bit more muscle in the "engine room", which is good. Hope he can keep it this year.

Yes, when I heard he had lost 12 pounds I was horrified! At one point, he said he weighed 137-- I certainly hope he didn't get down to 125!! :confused:

Did any of you read Little Girls in Pretty Boxes?
Appalling!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I didn't realize there was another Prince costume. What happened to it? Negative reactions? Just curious. (is there a link?)

LOL-- this is like a Saturday night slumber party!! Only we're not together in person!! It's still fun. :laugh:

Here you go - the original version of the first Prince costume (Courchevel). Apparently one of his friends told him he looked like George Washington, so they toned the ruffles down later (Junior Worlds). He just got a new costume for the second season of the program, which was the purple vest one that was...okay. Not my favourite.

This is my favourite Jason costume (US Nats 2012).

It's actually Sunday afternoon where I am. :p

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, when I heard he had lost 12 pounds I was horrified! At one point, he said he weighed 137-- I certainly hope he didn't get down to 125!! :confused:

Did any of you read Little Girls in Pretty Boxes?
Appalling!!

It wasn't done on purpose. It was an accident, caused by the unexpected rigors of Riverdance. At least he's put it back on. I think boys are in a weird no-man's land when it comes to skating. They're expected to be trim but at the same time muscular. (One of my favourite off-season memories is Joshua bragging that he put on weight a couple of seasons ago!). Jason is almost certainly finished with his vertical growth; now the trick is to try and load some muscle onto him to give him more power.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here you go - the original version of the first Prince costume (Courchevel). Apparently one of his friends told him he looked like George Washington, so they toned the ruffles down later (Junior Worlds). He just got a new costume for the second season of the program, which was the purple vest one that was...okay. Not my favourite.

This is my favourite Jason costume (US Nats 2012).

It's actually Sunday afternoon where I am. :p

Midnight, just starting Sunday here...

I had not seen the first, first Prince costume with the ruffles.:scratch: Thank heavens that one changed. And 2012 is good, elegant, and not too blousy.

OT, but Ashley Cain (who was also at Broadmoor). Great program, Baaad outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLHBHydZTc

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It wasn't done on purpose. It was an accident, caused by the unexpected rigors of Riverdance. At least he's put it back on. I think boys are in a weird no-man's land when it comes to skating. They're expected to be trim but at the same time muscular. (One of my favourite off-season memories is Joshua bragging that he put on weight a couple of seasons ago!). Jason is almost certainly finished with his vertical growth; now the trick is to try and load some muscle onto him to give him more power.

I think the extra muscle --especially in the upper body -- he's got so far has helped. His jumps looked much bigger. His 3F-3T, in particular, looked fantastic!

Midnight, just starting Sunday here...

I had not seen the first, first Prince costume with the ruffles.:scratch: Thank heavens that one changed. And 2012 is good, elegant, and not too blousy.

OT, but Ashley Cain (who was also at Broadmoor). Great program, Baaad outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnLHBHydZTc

It's 9 p.m. where I'm at, so plenty more hours for slumber party gossip. ;)

I agree his 2011-2012 SP outfit was great. I liked his all black outfit from his Novice FS (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQm6gl2Amg

I also felt Ashley overdid it on the catgirl eyeliner! Less is more!!!