Jason Brown | Page 584 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think the SP could be deemed a small success, IMO. 3Z< aside, that program was solid. The 3A looked amazing and he looked confident (some judges gave it a +4! And he got a few of +2 and +3 too.) and relaxed out there. It probably helped of course that he had the SP much longer so it's easier to integrate the new technique there. But still, the score was solid for this point in the season and made a lot of people take a second look at him.

I should have clarified that I was speaking about success with the FS (which was his nemesis last year and is the dragon he needs to slay). I agree that the SP was a success and, in a way, makes my point. The SP was a mixture of the new (technique) and familiar (choreographer) with no new jump added and Jason was able to fully perform it. Whereas everything about the FS is new (technique, choreographer, new jump: 4S) and Jason struggled with nerves and confidence.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do wonder, looking at Jason's primo flip in the SP, whether a quad flip might be in his future?

Loved the SP, but when you change jump technique drastically, on all your jumps, debacles happen..I remember Mao Asada's first year outings.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I should have clarified that I was speaking about success with the FS (which was his nemesis last year and is the dragon he needs to slay). I agree that the SP was a success and, in a way, makes my point. The SP was a mixture of the new (technique) and familiar (choreographer) with no new jump added and Jason was able to fully perform it. Whereas everything about the FS is new (technique, choreographer, new jump: 4S) and Jason struggled with nerves and confidence.

Thanks for the clarification and you make a good point re the FS.

Regarding Rosa's point above there is probably a happy medium between loads of transitions and the non-existing ones for the first minute of the FS. I hope all involved figure it out.

The TSL information regarding the quad might have been true at the time they had it, but maybe there was a breakthrough since then. They also said that the FS looked amazing too. So who knows what's correct, lol.

I do wonder, looking at Jason's primo flip in the SP, whether a quad flip might be in his future?

Loved the SP, but when you change jump technique drastically, on all your jumps, debacles happen..I remember Mao Asada's first year outings.

And yeah that first year for Mao was rough.

It would be interesting if the flip ended up working out. But I definitely don't see it for this year.

That SP 3F is pretty amazing-- it got +2.33 GOE which is almost half the BV of the jump. I wonder if it might be worth considering putting a solo 3F as the first jump in the FS? It's a jump he simply does not miss very often and he can definitely do some decent transitions into it. And maybe that could keep him less obsessed about having to hit the quad.

Last edited:

Yoa

On the Ice
Is it just me who felt offended that BOrser was with Hanyu at K&C, and with Chan as well, then he left when Jason skated and let Wilson tend to him at K & C??? What is he, a chopped liver? :unsure::scowl:

The music was not as horrific as I had feared, but there was one big problem.... no room for his signature spiral... this is a tragedy! :sad21:

Did you confuse Brian with Ghilslain? Ghislain was sitting in K&C with both Yuzuru and Junhwan. Yuzuru didn't even exchange a word with Brian. https://youtu.be/zheD_5mRFU0?t=6m2s or https://youtu.be/u28nrg__PT8?t=7m31s. And Brian and Jun talked only a little bit: https://youtu.be/Kleh48V7TbE?t=5m8s. Brian was mostly observing Jason. And was there really a room for Brian at K&C? Tracy had to stand up. And Karen was talking to someone who wasn't visible on camera: https://youtu.be/zLdGLuWHzOw?t=6m26s Who knows? Maybe it was Brian?

About the spiral... I hate that half minute reduction. Skaters have to remove a lot of things :( I think it's a good thing that Jason's FS is a little bit emptier. With a lot of transitions (in my opinion) it would be harder for him to adjust to 4 minutes. It's hard enough with a quad. They can add transitions with time :biggrin:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I caught both of Jason's programs after ACI and enjoyed the SP a lot, which I believe was done by Rohene, right? Maybe he's still more comfortable with a Rohene program than a David Wilson one.

Coincidentally, I went to Paul Simon's final touring stop on his farewell tour last night in Queens, NY and thought Jason would do well with "Kodachrome" instead of "Old Friends/Hazy Shade of Winter." There are so many songs in his repertoire that Jason could have fun with.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I caught both of Jason's programs after ACI and enjoyed the SP a lot, which I believe was done by Rohene, right? Maybe he's still more comfortable with a Rohene program than a David Wilson one.

Coincidentally, I went to Paul Simon's final touring stop on his farewell tour last night in Queens, NY and thought Jason would do well with "Kodachrome" instead of "Old Friends/Hazy Shade of Winter." There are so many songs in his repertoire that Jason could have fun with.

That is so cool you got to see Paul Simon. Many of Paul Simon’s songs post-S&G were amazing. I’m intrigued with the idea of modernizing the program a bit with a Paul Simon song. Kodachrome is a good suggestion!

I also thought of “The Boxer” as a better S&G choice. Still has the kind of the vulnerable feel, but it’s more of a folk rock song so it has some punch to it. And it would go with Hazy Shade of Winter quite well.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is so cool you got to see Paul Simon. Many of Paul Simon’s songs post-S&G were amazing. I’m intrigued with the idea of modernizing the program a bit with a Paul Simon song. Kodachrome is a good suggestion!

I also thought of “The Boxer” as a better S&G choice. Still has the kind of the vulnerable feel, but it’s more of a folk rock song so it has some punch to it. And it would go with Hazy Shade of Winter quite well.

"The Boxer" would be a good choice - that was one of the encores last night. The whole crowd was singing along to the "lie-la-lie" bits in the chorus. I had never seen Paul Simon in concert before but my friend had an extra ticket and I'm glad I got to see him. He may still play the occasional live show, but he's almost 77 and done with touring. Bless him.

Anyway, back to Jason - I hope David Wilson will rework the music and we'll all grow to love the program.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That quote from Tracy made me feel so :luv17: . Just the pick me up I needed. She gets Jason.

I think I thought the FP was so depressing because the SP is So.Darn.Good, I got my hopes up. My real hope is that Tracy is looking with a critical eye, and will say to David, it needs more pizzazz. Or support Jason should he say that.

And the costume almost, almost, makes me miss the blue onesie.:biggrin: but neither do I want the costume a week we had with “Inner Love”. Print some granny glasses somewhere if you feel you need an S&G vibe;)

Imov

Medalist
I am not offended with whoever sits beside Jason on K&C. As long as they support him on training days and he gets the improvements he is aiming for.
I was hoping to see all TCC on the podium but we are gonna have our time.
Until then continue on working hard and smart Jason.

Imov

Medalist
I saw fan account of jason being a sweetheart to the fans in ACI.
Shaking hands, chatting and taking pictures. Lucky people indeed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm such a fickle fan. After posting Jason's Bajafondo SP from way back in the day in the tango programs, now I want him to do latin! Trash that FS, lol.

Also, I just remembered that Jason's skating in Carnival on Ice, so we'll get to see him skate next weekend! (It will be broadcasted, likely).

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
I'm such a fickle fan. After posting Jason's Bajafondo SP from way back in the day in the tango programs, now I want him to do latin! Trash that FS, lol.

Also, I just remembered that Jason's skating in Carnival on Ice, so we'll get to see him skate next weekend! (It will be broadcasted, likely).

Well, I think he stated in that year-old Flett interview that he'd like to do Latin. :)

Do you really think he would consider trashing the FS at this point? I don't. He admits to being bad at learning choreography and I can't see him starting from scratch at this time. And I really don't want a 4th year of Piano. ;) He needs to be comfortable with the long and I think the best chance for that is to rework the current S&G program. Maybe they could just redo the beginning. I was re-watching his ACI practice session for the FS and I thought it had some nice elements and real potential. Take out the quad and relieve him of that pressure, then add things to the empty space.

On another note, I can't stop watching his ACI SP. Love it!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I actually like the S&G free, I think it has a lot of potential. He just needs time to grow into it. As his nerves decrease and he gets more confident with the jumps the choreography will improve in it's detail.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree The Boxer would be great added to Jason's FS if it is possible. I love the song probably because it was Leonard Nimoy's favorite song (as I posted in the What Are You Listening To Now thread weeks ago.. so happy to know it was performed recently..) what a tribute that would be!! Also, regarding his FS attire, when in doubt .. go elegant but simple, always works.. embellish later. I agree with el henry except The ACI FS costume was the worst yet imho. Sorry. It did not suit him at all!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MYPJOCxSUFc

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I’m somewhat kidding about trashing the free skate, but I do think that the way Jason is packaged makes it look a bit dated. He goes from a super sleek look to Dad’s bowling night in one swap... I think there’s probably a better costume out there.

And yeah more choreo, maybe swap the first half music. I don’t think he should take out the quad though. It’s obvious he does it well enough for them to put it in and I feel like taking out would play on his psyche, just like last year.

Also, I forgot which tweet, I’ll put it here when I find it, but it was his sister who picked out the SP music. Girl hit it out of the park, I’m impressed.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
I actually like the S&G free, I think it has a lot of potential. He just needs time to grow into it. As his nerves decrease and he gets more confident with the jumps the choreography will improve in it's detail.

I agree. I’ve only watched the practice runthrough and I absolutely love it. It sounds like he just wasn’t convincing because he was SO nervous? Anyway I believe Jeremy’s mum who gushed over the dress rehearsal of the FS :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree. I’ve only watched the practice runthrough and I absolutely love it. It sounds like he just wasn’t convincing because he was SO nervous? Anyway I believe Jeremy’s mum who gushed over the dress rehearsal of the FS :laugh:

Well it seems like, at this point, people either really love it or hate it. Nothing in between. Jason has work to do to convince the other half. :)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Latin, Latin program?;)

Sorry, I do know what you mean, and of course I am the outlier in what I first think of, but Jason in a gladiator costume?:think: :laugh:

DinkyD

Rinkside
Well it seems like, at this point, people either really love it or hate it. Nothing in between. Jason has work to do to convince the other half. :)

What bothered me about both programs was the ending of the music. Neither had the usual build up with a definite finish. I thought they had just just cut the ending abruptly in the Simon and Garfunkel piece but I went and listened to the original recording and sure enough, it really does end like that. Would just like endings with a more punch to them or at least have the piece feel like the end is coming.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I would say that the music isn’t horrible even though I wouldn’t have chosen it. But I don’t think the choreography uses the music well or highlights his special qualities very well.

A part of that is because he was way off, so he just didn’t sell what was there very convincingly. But part of it is that the choreography just seems generic and a bit empty. I like about the first 20 seconds of the program. But even with that - his opening pivot was just blah. Compare it to the one he does in T&I.

After that, okay I’ll give him a pass on a bit of pre quad emptiness but then what is there? A bunch of crossovers around the edge of the rink interspersed with a few turns, a split jump, falling leaf, etc. His arms kind of flail. A lot. Then, the one moment that cries out for his spiral or something equally inspired - that long sustained note that transitions into Hazy Shade of Winter - is ignored. And what do we get? Crossovers to prepare for the 3-jump combo. Really disappointing.

His costume? All I can say in its favor is that it looks marginally better on camera than live. It looks like an old grandfather cardigan. Not very different than those sweaters they wore in the SOI group number with fedoras. Remember? He’s so cute, but not in that.