Jason Brown | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P-- I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what "fan shipping" means. :eek::

No problem. "Ship" is when you desire two people to be a couple. Usually ship occurs in the context of fiction or television drama or with people you generally don't know beyond a basic level.

For example, in the Twilight series you have some people who "ship" for Belle and Edward and others who "ship" for Belle and Jacob.

ETA: Well we all learn something new!!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ashley just went and jumped her way into my heart and into my No. 2 US lady skater position (No. 1 is "the other Ashley") with just that SP in Dallas. I was just about to start a fan fest thread for her but as I was too busy and I'm a bit shy*, I decided to leave it for someone who maybe knows her better and/or is more of a veteran on this forum ;)

*It took me 3 days to start the "what gives you chills" -thread because I was sure nobody would ever reply... :rolleye: :laugh:

FYI, Ashley Cain already has a Fan Fest thread:

An easy way to check whether a Fan Fest thread already exists is to look at gsk8's thread at the top of the Fan Fest forum.
gsk8 keeps a list there of all Fan Fest threads, grouped by discipline and alphabetized within discipline. Thx, gsk8.

I agree with Mrs. P that one of the strengths of GS is that threads are started by many different members.

I find it strange that elsewhere ;) people seem to feel that they have to defer to others (and that the deference is not discouraged).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

An easy way to check whether a Fan Fest thread already exists is to look at gsk8's thread at the top of the Fan Fest forum.
gsk8 keeps a list there of all Fan Fest threads, grouped by discipline and alphabetized within discipline. Thx, gsk8.

I agree with Mrs. P that one of the strengths of GS is that threads are started by many different members.

I find it strange that elsewhere ;) people seem to feel that they have to defer to others (and that the deference is not discouraged).

Oh yeah, thanks golden411! That thread hasn't been updated in nearly a year...that needs to change stat! I'll put the super cute photo montage over there.

TMC

Record Breaker
You should start one! There's no requirement to start a fan thread! I'd join you over there! :) I'm not an uber fan for any of the ladies like I am for Jason, but I definitely love the two Ashleys and admire their determination and fighting spirit!

I actually started THIS thread because karne and I were fanboying over Jason's Riverdance from Broadmoor last year and hijaking the 2013-2014 programs thread, lol. So really there are all kinds who start and get these fan threads going. :biggrin:

Speaking of which, happy one-year anniversary (tomorrow!) to this thread! Can't believe everything that's happened in one year!

We have that in common then: I'm not as into ladies as I'm into men and lately ice dance. I'd put even pairs before ladies most of the time. I don't really know why that is? I've always been a tomboy but still when I was a kid/teenager I admired the ladies the most (huge fan of Michelle Kwan in the 90s). Then I took a break from FS when I lived abroad in a non-fs country and didn't have a tv, and when I came back in the late noughties I realised I'd outgrown the princessy style of the ladies and preferred the men. I suppose that's why I like the Ashleys - they have some quality that makes them different from the stereotypical "fragile" lady skater. The best ladies like Mao, Yuna, Gracie, Mirai - I can watch them and enjoy the beauty but I rarely re-watch. But the two Ashleys I've rewatched many many times.

I may start the thread some day soon, thanks for encouragement! Maybe Wednesday or Thursday as there are no WC matches on those days. It's 1:20 am right now and I'm watching Germany-Algeria :biggrin:

Just realised that since it's tomorrow here already: Happy anniversary!!! :hb::hb: This past year has been incredible for Jason: from wondering whether he should move up to seniors to becoming an olympian...and he's kept a level head all through this! I have so much respect for him as an athlete and as a person.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.icenetwork.com/fans/skating-magazine-readers-choice/

You might want to vote for Jason for the Skating Magazine reader's choice award :)

You can vote as many times as you want. You do not have to be logged into icenetwork to watch any of the videos from the 2014 US Figure skating championships and other events either. Meryl & Charlie's FD is shown, I think from US Nationals...without commentary, including the slo mo, and the K n C.

I had to do right click and open in a new tab to get them to play.

I doubt they play on mobile devices, because IN has it's vids in Adobe Flashplayer, but still it's nice to watch all those programs without having to sign up. Some are LPs (D&W) some are SP's (Jason Brown) so until you watch you won't know which to expect.

Hawayek's & Baker's SD from Jr. Worlds is shown. So it's a box of chocolates, for sure.
Enjoy!

alabhaois

On the Ice
We have that in common then: I'm not as into ladies as I'm into men and lately ice dance. I'd put even pairs before ladies most of the time. I don't really know why that is? I've always been a tomboy but still when I was a kid/teenager I admired the ladies the most (huge fan of Michelle Kwan in the 90s). Then I took a break from FS when I lived abroad in a non-fs country and didn't have a tv, and when I came back in the late noughties I realised I'd outgrown the princessy style of the ladies and preferred the men. I suppose that's why I like the Ashleys - they have some quality that makes them different from the stereotypical "fragile" lady skater. The best ladies like Mao, Yuna, Gracie, Mirai - I can watch them and enjoy the beauty but I rarely re-watch. But the two Ashleys I've rewatched many many times.

I may start the thread some day soon, thanks for encouragement! Maybe Wednesday or Thursday as there are no WC matches on those days. It's 1:20 am right now and I'm watching Germany-Algeria :biggrin:

Just realised that since it's tomorrow here already: Happy anniversary!!! :hb::hb: This past year has been incredible for Jason: from wondering whether he should move up to seniors to becoming an olympian...and he's kept a level head all through this! I have so much respect for him as an athlete and as a person.

Jason has kept a level head throughout all the hysteria-- in some ways he's wise beyond his years. I admire him as a skater and a human being. And apart from all that, he's simply loaded with charisma. Maybe that's a silly thing to say, but I think it's true. Some people just have that almost inexplicable appeal that pulls everyone in. It's really magical and he's got it in spades!
:agree:

TMC

Record Breaker
No problem. "Ship" is when you desire two people to be a couple. Usually ship occurs in the context of fiction or television drama or with people you generally don't know beyond a basic level.

For example, in the Twilight series you have some people who "ship" for Belle and Edward and others who "ship" for Belle and Jacob.

ETA: Well we all learn something new!!

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the word comes from relationship, as in you hope/wish for a relationship between these people, so you're "relationshipping" -> shipping them. This is how my husband explained it to me anyway :) He's a huge fan of American tv and is constantly on the net and trolling forums about different shows. He introduced me to Buffy the Vampire Slayer when we started dating 6 years ago and accused me of being a "shipper" when I kept pointing out how Spike and Buffy should end up together :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker

Thanks!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
By the way TMC, I love your "Chills" thread! A GREAT way to get cool during a hot, long off season :love:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You might want to vote for Jason for the Skating Magazine reader's choice award :)

You can vote as many times as you want. You do not have to be logged into icenetwork to watch any of the videos from the 2014 US Figure skating championships and other events either. Meryl & Charlie's FD is shown, I think from US Nationals...without commentary, including the slo mo, and the K n C.

I had to do right click and open in a new tab to get them to play.

I doubt they play on mobile devices, because IN has it's vids in Adobe Flashplayer, but still it's nice to watch all those programs without having to sign up. Some are LPs (D&W) some are SP's (Jason Brown) so until you watch you won't know which to expect.

Hawayek's & Baker's SD from Jr. Worlds is shown. So it's a box of chocolates, for sure.
Enjoy!

Ooops, when I posted, I did not read the site carefully enough: icenetwork and skating magazine.

I didn't try the vids, thanks for the head's up!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
This was the first tweet of Jason's (I think?) where he says something personal about someone he's hanging out with (i.e., "Can't wait for our [his and Ashley's] next adventure"), but maybe I'm reading too much into it. But he sure looks happy, as does she!!

:popcorn:
Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one who thought, "maybe they should date..." If I'm going crazy, might as well have company in the asylum.

So, I'm quite open about being a newbie to following figure skating seriously, but what do people think of Jason's progress since just last season? In the Tristan and Iseult program I thought his jump landings had more flow, and he also seemed faster to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speaking of Skating Magazine...

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/483710844006834176

U.S. Figure Skating
@USFigureSkating
Having a blast with @jasonbskates at his very first SKATING magazine photo shoot. pic.twitter.com/OGIYVJEpBK
1:37 PM - 30 Jun 2014

Nice Cubs Jersey. :)

Can't wait to see the photos.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the word comes from relationship, as in you hope/wish for a relationship between these people, so you're "relationshipping" -> shipping them. This is how my husband explained it to me anyway :) He's a huge fan of American tv and is constantly on the net and trolling forums about different shows. He introduced me to Buffy the Vampire Slayer when we started dating 6 years ago and accused me of being a "shipper" when I kept pointing out how Spike and Buffy should end up together :laugh:

Love your hubby's a Buffy fan. That's cute. :)

alabhaois

On the Ice
Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only one who thought, "maybe they should date..." If I'm going crazy, might as well have company in the asylum.

So, I'm quite open about being a newbie to following figure skating seriously, but what do people think of Jason's progress since just last season? In the Tristan and Iseult program I thought his jump landings had more flow, and he also seemed faster to me.

I'm also a newbie here so I can't really comment except to say that I was blown away by the intensity of both Jason's skating and the sheer forcefulness of the music (LP). Very dramatic. And the big grin Jason gives when he's done is the perfect finish!

PS From one lunatic to another... maybe they're already dating?? :rolleye:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I'm also a newbie here so I can't really comment except to say that I was blown away by the intensity of both Jason's skating and the sheer forcefulness of the music (LP). Very dramatic. And the big grin Jason gives when he's done is the perfect finish!

PS From one lunatic to another... maybe they're already dating?? :rolleye:

Yeah, that definitely crossed my mind. :eek:: While I'm happy to ship TV couples (Buffy and Angel 4eva! ;)) I feel funny about pairing up real people.

alabhaois

On the Ice
Yeah, that definitely crossed my mind. :eek:: While I'm happy to ship TV couples (Buffy and Angel 4eva! ;)) I feel funny about pairing up real people.

Of course you're right about not pairing up real people-- it was just hard not to wonder! :eek:::eek:::eek::

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This was the first tweet of Jason's (I think?) where he says something personal about someone he's hanging out with (i.e., "Can't wait for our [his and Ashley's] next adventure"), but maybe I'm reading too much into it. But he sure looks happy, as does she!!

*embarrassed mutter* I have to admit that particular wording did catch my attention and make me wonder...

Has this been posted before? IceNetwork vote for your favorite US skater poll?

Looks like you can vote as long as you are willing to type in "capchas".

I guess they put in the capchas to stop the crazy stuff that happened with the Make Your Move poll.

But it makes voting so hard! I was planning on just sitting there for a while and going "One for Max, one for Jason, one for Josh. One for Max, one for Jason, one for Josh." But having to do capchas makes that take AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGES.

Faster, yes, flow, yes, but for me the most striking thing was the jump HEIGHT. Especially that flip. It just about blew me away. His toe jumps have always been especially good, but now they're starting to reach enormous proportions....

Obviously the 3A is going to be a continuing "hold your breath and hope!" moment. But it'll come with time. He still hits it pretty often I think, and if he's finally putting on muscle then I think his chances have probably increased. The main issue is he stalks it like crazy. Take the leap, Jason! Just let rip!

alabhaois

On the Ice
Oh, absolutely alabhaois! You and I are in the exact same boat.

Thank you, hyena. I didn't want to come off sounding lascivious!! :eek: :rolleye:

It is so enjoyable to watch him blossom and evolve in his amazing career! I just wish I lived closer to the center of action-- that is, I wish I could hop on a plane and go watch an exhibition. Maybe someday!! In the meantime I will continue to haunt this forum and try to absorb all I can from these incredibly knowledgeable people!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you, hyena. I didn't want to come off sounding lascivious!! :eek: :rolleye:

It is so enjoyable to watch him blossom and evolve in his amazing career! I just wish I lived closer to the center of action-- that is, I wish I could hop on a plane and go watch an exhibition. Maybe someday!! In the meantime I will continue to haunt this forum and try to absorb all I can from these incredibly knowledgeable people!

Well the conclusion is that several people took note of the tweet and the absolutely cute photo montage that came of it. Hehehe. Apparently we all were :eek:: too. LOL.

FWIW, Jason did do a show last year in the Bay Area, Ice Dreams. It was a show organized by Johnny Weir. So maybe they'll bring that back again. Here is his skate to "Fly Me to the Moon." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7mKHpEWik

Also, if you are willing to drive a few hours (or get a quick flight), you should consider attending the Glacier Falls Summer Classic in a few weeks. It's on July 30- Aug. 3. It's at the Sharks Ice Arena in Anaheim. Jason has competed at that competition for the last several years. And I bet there will be a few other top skaters -- Mirai Nagasu (since it's home), Courtney Hicks (who trains in LA), Richard Dornbush, maybe Ashley Wagner/Adam Rippon.

http://glacierfalls.com/2012-summer-classic/

So you can spurge and go to Skate America, LOL. I'm sort of considering it.

Last edited: