Jason Brown | Page 88 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

alabhaois

On the Ice
Jason's hair looks normal (I think?) in the photo from their flight to Nebelhorn that Mariah tweeted.

In comparing the two photos, the one Jason tweeted has more light in it-- more so than Mariah's tweet, which looks a bit
darker to me (the lighting, not his hair). But it's really hard to say definitively.

At any rate, thanks for FITD ;) skating photo-- the togs look a wee bit cumbersome for skating, but I'm sure he pulled it
off nicely.

By the way, what song did he skate to?

:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think that's a spiral, I think he's mid-air death drop or butterfly. See, no blade on the ice. :)

You're right, karne :agree: -- I had just gone back to correct my post before I saw yours.

My first glance was too hasty. :bang: Sorry.

... By the way, what song did he skate to?

:)

I have not seen any video, but my guess is that the reason the tweet referred to Jason's exhibition as Cotton-Eyed Joe is that he skated to the song with the same name. Sample video [ETA: re the song, not re Jason's program], to give you a general idea:

alabhaois

On the Ice
I have not seen any video, but my guess is that the reason the tweet referred to Jason's exhibition as Cotton-Eyed Joe is that he skated to the song with the same name. Sample video, to give you a general idea

In that case, he certainly dressed the part! All he was missing was a cowboy hat, but not very practical when one is skating.

Thanks for all your responses. :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In this collage (I don't know how to isolate one photo from collages) the entire Farmer in the Dell costume, and ..... the braid????

http://instagram.com/p/tRHSIUwEER/

Hi, EH. :) Yes, that's the same Instagram that we were discussing last night.

The same collage is on FB (and is viewable at a larger size than the Instagram, at least for me), but my (eminently fallible :yes:) eyes still do not detect a braid, although it's hard to see any hair detail ... :think::

[FWIW, the article that originally had mentioned Jason's experimental 'do at Champs Camp said it had "two braids in the back" -- don't know if that means one on each side, like pigtails???

ETA, Jason will not be trying his quad in competition at Nebelhorn, per IN's preview of the competition.

ETA, Jason's first blog entry from Nebelhorn 2014 has been posted :

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks golden411 for all the updates! :)

I especially like Jason's blog entry. He's a gifted writer and it's his usual level 4 adorable . :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks golden411 for all the updates! :)

I especially like Jason's blog entry. He's a gifted writer and it's his usual level 4 adorable . :love:

Jason's blogs are always cute, but there was one part of it I didn't like.

Sorry Jason, but clearly you have never worked in customer service - the poor person who says no is saying no because of company policy, not because they're being a jerk or because they don't believe anything is possible - they are saying no because of the rules and the rules apply to everyone. My least favourite type of customer when I was working in retail was the type who believed that an exception to rules could always be made for them because they were special etc etc.

Or, poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason's blogs are always cute, but there was one part of it I didn't like.

Sorry Jason, but clearly you have never worked in customer service - the poor person who says no is saying no because of company policy, not because they're being a jerk or because they don't believe anything is possible - they are saying no because of the rules and the rules apply to everyone. My least favourite type of customer when I was working in retail was the type who believed that an exception to rules could always be made for them because they were special etc etc.

Or, poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

I know you love Jason, as do I, so I will point out that his blog did NOT criticize the woman who originally said No. Jason never said (or even implied) that she was a jerk.

I think his point was that the solution-oriented Kori had the tenacity to find a person with the authority to say Yes to her REQUEST -- not a demand -- for permission to take the flight. (I think we all know that in the real world, sometimes higher-ranking customer-service staff are allowed to use their discretion and make exceptions to rules.)

And I feel sure that Kori wisely made their case in the most polite and friendly manner -- both because it is her nature and because it is a more effective way to get someone to hear you out and to want to help you.
I highly doubt that she stuck in her nose in the air, and sniffed, "Don't you know who Jason IS?" (That kind of arrogance is one of my pet peeves.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know you love Jason, as do I, so I will point out that Jason's blog did NOT criticize the person who originally said No. Jason never said (or even implied) that the person was a jerk.

I think his point was that the solution-oriented Kori had the tenacity to find a person with the authority to say Yes to her REQUEST -- not a demand -- for permission to take the flight. (I think we all know that in the real world, sometimes higher-ranking customer-service staff are allowed to make exceptions to policy at their discretion.)

And I feel sure that Kori wisely made their case in the most polite and friendly manner -- both because it is her nature and because it is a more effective way to get someone to hear you out and to want to help you.
I highly doubt that she stuck in her nose in the air, and sniffed, "Don't you know who Jason IS?" (That kind of arrogance is one of my pet peeves.)

That's how I took it. It seem more of a "If there's a will, there's a way" type of message.

As to whether poor planning was to blame. The fact was they arrived to the airport nearly 2 hours early, which is well within the requirements. Had they been borderline and arrived 1 hour before, they would have been way too late to check in. The fact they planned in some extra buffer time allowed them enough time to settle any major issues, such as the wrong terminal.

The wrong terminal thing can happen to anyone especially if you're at an airport where the airline has flights across multiple terminals. For example, I fly out of Seattle a lot and with Alaska Airlines. Seattle is a major hub of Alaska Airlines and I've had flights that were in the main terminal and in both their South and North satellite terminals.

I think the first sentence said it all: "No matter how early Kori and I get to the airport, we always seem to board the plane relieved we made it to our flight."

Anyway, I love talking about airports. So please forgive me for indulging myself.

If it is a ponytail he's sporting, I'd say it looks very different from what I'm used to seeing. Instead of looking smooth,
it looks as if it's somehow segmented, like this:

http://imgur.com/uDqsB36

:confused2:

I don't think it's a braid at all. A closer look and I see the sleeve of his flannel shirt. The way the light hits it, it sort of looks like a braid. I think Jason just had his usual ponytail.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If it is a ponytail he's sporting, I'd say it looks very different from what I'm used to seeing. Instead of looking smooth,
it looks as if it's somehow segmented, like this:

http://imgur.com/uDqsB36

:confused2:

My interpretation of the Jason photo is that the bumpiness that appears to run parallel to his back is the bunched-up fabric of his pushed-up right sleeve. (We can see that his left sleeve is pushed up.)
IMHO, the only way that the bumps could correspond to segments of a braid of that length would be for Jason to be wearing hair extensions :eek:. Not impossible, but unlikely, IMHO.

alabhaois

On the Ice
By George, she's got it!! That's IT! Once I looked at the photo again with the sleeve in mind, everything came
together-- it is his sleeve!!

Because I was going to say if it's his hair, it certainly grew fast.

Mystery solved. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My interpretation of the Jason photo is that the bumpiness that appears to run parallel to his back is the bunched-up fabric of his pushed-up right sleeve. (We can see that his left sleeve is pushed up.)
IMHO, the only way that the bumps could correspond to segments of a braid of that length would be for Jason to be wearing hair extensions :eek:. Not impossible, but unlikely, IMHO.

Well we all know that Jason doesn't mind wearing makeup. Why not sport some fancy hair extensions?! ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, EH. :) Yes, that's the same Instagram that we were discussing last night.

The same collage is on FB (and is viewable at a larger size than the Instagram, at least for me), but my (eminently fallible :yes:) eyes still do not detect a braid, although it's hard to see any hair detail ... :think::

[FWIW, the article that originally had mentioned Jason's experimental 'do at Champs Camp said it had "two braids in the back" -- don't know if that means one on each side, like pigtails???

ETA, Jason will not be trying his quad in competition at Nebelhorn, per IN's preview of the competition.

ETA, Jason's first blog entry from Nebelhorn 2014 has been posted :

Thx, Golden, sorry if I double posted the same photo, but at least I had the same thoughts. :p Interesting to think that it could be a sleeve (but yikes, a "big sleeved" FITD? Give me my Hammer back! At least Hammer pants are supposed to be big!

And I am very grateful for the larger Facebook image. My eyes aren't just imperfect, they are beyond middle aged.:laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well we all know that Jason doesn't mind wearing makeup. Why not sport some fancy hair extensions?! ;)

LOL, Mrs. P. Cotton-Eyed Joe going glam. ;)

Because you love airport chat, I will add a couple of more bits regarding Jason's blog (some or most of which you prob. already know, but maybe our friend karne will be interested):

Presumably Team Kori's flight to Germany departed from New York's JFK airport. (JFK is near Long Island, where the Ice Dreams show was located. The IN article re Ice Dreams says that Team Kori trained at the LI rink until they headed off to Nebelhorn [but does not shed new light on Jason's Ice Dreams programs/costuming/hair]. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/09/23/96003380)

JFK has at least eight different terminals, and is home to over seventy airlines, both domestic and international.
A lot of locals hate JFK, and avoid it as a departure or arrival point whenever possible.
Making matters worse for Team Kori, JFK prob. was even more of a zoo than usual at the time of their flight -- b/c of diplomats and journalists descending upon NYC from literally all over the world for the UN General Assembly this week.

Getting dropped off at the wrong terminal at an unfamiliar airport was terribly bad luck, and I agree that it could have happened to anyone.​

Thx, Golden, sorry if I double posted the same photo, but at least I had the same thoughts. :p Interesting to think that it could be a sleeve (but yikes, a "big sleeved" FITD? Give me my Hammer back! At least Hammer pants are supposed to be big!

And I am very grateful for the larger Facebook image. My eyes aren't just imperfect, they are beyond middle aged.:laugh:

No worries, EH. I'm not saying that the flannel shirt was designed with puffy sleeves (have you seen the Seinfeld "puffy shirt" episode? ;)). It's just that Jason's sleeves (of a normal cut) are pushed up, so they look bumpy. Or so I believe.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Because you love airport chat, I will add a couple of more bits regarding Jason's blog (some or most of which you prob. already know, but maybe our friend karne will be interested):

Presumably Team Kori's flight to Germany departed from New York's JFK airport (which is near Long Island, where the Ice Dreams show was located).

JFK has at least eight different terminals, and is home to over seventy airlines, both domestic and international.
A lot of locals hate JFK, and avoid it as a departure or arrival point whenever possible.
Making matters worse for Team Kori, JFK prob. was even more of a zoo than usual at the time of their flight -- b/c of diplomats and journalists descending upon NYC from literally all over the world for the UN General Assembly this week.

Getting dropped off at the wrong terminal at an unfamiliar airport was terribly bad luck, and I agree that it could have happened to anyone.​

Oh yeah! I was totally wondering about the multiple terminals thing, cause for some reason I had thought they departed out of Denver, having forgotten they were in Long Island for the Ice Dreams show.

Indeed, JFK would have been the most likely airport for international travel. (Though Newark would have been a possibility as well).

I am going to presume, that they were flying on either United or Lufthansa, since United is the official airline of USFSA (and the USOC, I think) and Lufthansa is a partner airline.

Now, here's where I think things got tricky. A lot of times airlines codeshare flights, which means you could have booked through one airline, but it's actually a flight for a completely different airline. A few weeks ago, I was flying back form DC (at Reagan) and I was trying to figure out why the heck I couldn't check in ahead of time through Alaska Airlines. Turns out I had missed that the flight was actually operated by Delta and I had to check in with Delta, not Alaska (even though I had booked the flight with Alaska Airlines).

So it could have simply been a case USFSA booked the flight from United, but it was a Lufthansa operated flight or vice versa. United and Lufthansa both fly to Munich direct. And they are two different terminals: United is in terminal 7 and Lufthansa is in terminal 1. So yeah, that would been really tough.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mrs. P, we had a very similar problem between Delta and Alaska Airlines, flying out of Seattle. Fortunately we had gotten to the airport early, but it was still very stressful.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nick McCarvel interviewed Jason for USA Today and, while no further details were revealed, Jason confirmed his hair will be partly down in his FS:

The biggest change for Brown might be to his hair, which he will wear partly down for his free skate to Maxime Rodriguez's Tristan and Isolde, a romantic piece that requires a strong, European-style feel. (The last time he skated without a full ponytail was in 2005.)

"I didn't want to change it completely because this is part of what makes me who I am, " he said. "I'm growing up. My hair can be different. We're using my hair to enhance the character. I really feel like I'm playing a part."

Other topics included fame after the Olympics, progress on the quad, and building toward 2018.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Nick McCarvel interviewed Jason for USA Today and, while no further details were revealed, Jason confirmed his hair will be partly down in his FS:

Other topics included fame after the Olympics, progress on the quad, and building toward 2018.

So now it is part down in the free. . down in the short as of champs camp. . . and two mystery braids.

My guess is it is going to be two braids on the side pulled in pack as a sorta hair band made of out of hair to keep well. . .his hair out of his face.

sorta the Legolas style.

I hope the reporters start asking all the guys about their hair. . . I want to see if they eat it up, or get really confused.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thx for McCarvel's article, katmari. My very favorite part (which brought me to tears -- no "almost" about it ;)):

One encounter included a military member who told Brown he and fellow troops cheered him on in Sochi while watching the Games from an outpost in Afghanistan.

"That was something that really hit me," Brown said. "It was so touching. I couldn't move. I was almost in tears."

A cute photo of Jason, Mariah, Maddie Aaron, and Max Settlage having dinner together is #3 in the IN "Backstage at Nebelhorn" gallery.
#2 shows Jason and Mariah all smiles in a vehicle with luggage.