Jason Brown | Page 94 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Oh yes his hands may be large but they are beautiful and the way he moves them is so lyrical, just like a ballet dancer. Miles different & better from any other current male skater (and female)
I agree!
In the world of the dance is a great gift to have hands, arms, thighs long!
And the boys have big feet, it is normal!
One small criticism from the point of view of an ex dancer: his armwork is so great that he could dance on the stage of a theater! BUT: sometimes he keeps his fingers too open (separate) and sometimes the arc of the arms and hands broken at the wrists.
He is a young boy is natural that he seems a bit ' a playful puppy with big paws . But if you watch his bones : he has broad shoulders and narrow hips . These are not the characteristics of a puppy but a young man.

LRK

Record Breaker
I thought we decided he was a kitty not a puppy. . . . ya know kitties can have over sized paws too. . . look at a baby tiger sometime.

I'm trying to picture it with the boots the same color. . . getting a mental error. . . can't see it. . .

I don't want the boots to be the same colour - I like it the way it is. Also, with my bad eyesight, if they were the same colour, I may have difficulty seeing them! I like them to be differentiated.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I agree!
In the world of the dance is a great gift to have hands, arms, thighs long!
And the boys have big feet, it is normal!
One small criticism from the point of view of an ex dancer: his armwork is so great that he could dance on the stage of a theater! BUT: sometimes he keeps his fingers too open (separate) and sometimes the arc of the arms and hands broken at the wrists.
He is a young boy is natural that he seems a bit ' a playful puppy with big paws . But if you watch his bones : he has broad shoulders and narrow hips . These are not the characteristics of a puppy but a young man.

Ok, I have to ask from your dancer point of view. . . sometimes his moments in Juke felt a little too. . . formal elegant dancing style to the music. Not all styles of dance always want the classic lines emphasizing grace. The best example I can give is in the video for Michael Jackson's Bad the dancing is supposed to be street, but still good dancing. . . which largely works until you get to about 3:53 in and he starts pointing his toes so much it. . . starts to look too ballet to me. It is attractive dancing, but it does not seem to match the style, and kinda takes me out of it.

There are points in Juke, where his hands to seem too. . . pretty and graceful for the style. . is that sorta what you mean, or. . . am i missing something. Not sure how best to articulate how it would look better. . . there are certainly parts of it where i was paying more attention to his hands than I wanted to.

Also on his fingers. . . he does play the piano. . . so there could be a hint of that showing up in his hand positions.

As for his shoulders and waist. . . well he is certainly more a wedge of cheese than last year.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't want the boots to be the same colour - I like it the way it is. Also, with my bad eyesight, if they were the same colour, I may have difficulty seeing them! I like them to be differentiated.

See that is my concern too with them the same color. . . they would just blend in and look strange, it might look good up close with good lights and high def. . . but that is not how everyone sees things. But at the same time how do you keep them different without breaking up the line. . . I have seen some say the boots should be more the same color as the pants. Maybe if they were darker. . . you know the whole black is slimming thing. I wonder how many layers he has going on down there. If he has his standard black skate cover things on and then the boots over that. It could be starting to get a bit bulky with layers.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Ok, I have to ask from your dancer point of view. . . sometimes his moments in Juke felt a little too. . . formal elegant dancing style to the music. Not all styles of dance always want the classic lines emphasizing grace. The best example I can give is in the video for Michael Jackson's Bad the dancing is supposed to be street, but still good dancing. . . which largely works until you get to about 3:53 in and he starts pointing his toes so much it. . . starts to look too ballet to me. It is attractive dancing, but it does not seem to match the style, and kinda takes me out of it.

There are points in Juke, where his hands to seem too. . . pretty and graceful for the style. . is that sorta what you mean, or. . . am i missing something. Not sure how best to articulate how it would look better. . . there are certainly parts of it where i was paying more attention to his hands than I wanted to.

Also on his fingers. . . he does play the piano. . . so there could be a hint of that showing up in his hand positions.

As for his shoulders and waist. . . well he is certainly more a wedge of cheese than last year.

Yes, from your point of view you are right.
But those people who love ballet and contemporary dance prefer to found a discipline in every movement. It is this that makes the difference between dancing in a party and dance in the stage.
I understand that you like a style more akin to dance "normal" or stret dance.
We all have different tastes. 

Jason is great for me because he looks like a dancer who has the basics of classical ballet but he prefers and knows and has chosen the modern dance.
I think he has had very good teachers of dance.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yes, from your point of view you are right.
But those people who love ballet and contemporary dance prefer to found a discipline in every movement. It is this that makes the difference between dancing in a party and dance in the stage.
I understand that you like a style more akin to dance "normal" or stret dance.
We all have different tastes. 

Jason is great for me because he looks like a dancer who has the basics of classical ballet but he prefers and knows and has chosen the modern dance.
I think he has had very good teachers of dance.

I know Kori has a background in hip hop dance so she is part of it.

It is not so much I like a street style. . . more that I like consistency. . . if you are going for street (which I think the Bad video clearly was) keep it that way. . . when the ballet points creep in. . . well it just stands out as different. I am sure if someone wanted to they could do a really do classic ballet routine to Bad where the toes would look right as opposed to stand out. I want to make it clear I don't dislike the points and the classic lines. . . I rather enjoy it, I much prefer controlled deliberate movement. I am not saying relax and be lazy with the arms. . . I am saying be deliberate and disciplined with a different position. I just don't like seeing the classic training creeping into a dance that is not going for that. For me seeing the slip into classic training is a bit like when an actor slips into their native accent for a sentence, not wrong, just noticeably different and sometimes a bit out of place. The stuff I am talking about would work lovely in T&I still, but they are very different pieces and thus different styles.

How are you saying his hands/fingers should be then?

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I know Kori has a background in hip hop dance so she is part of it.

It is not so much I like a street style. . . more that I like consistency. . . if you are going for street (which I think the Bad video clearly was) keep it that way. . . when the ballet points creep in. . . well it just stands out as different. I am sure if someone wanted to they could do a really do classic ballet routine to Bad where the toes would look right as opposed to stand out. I want to make it clear I don't dislike the points and the classic lines. . . I rather enjoy it, I much prefer controlled deliberate movement. I am not saying relax and be lazy with the arms. . . I am saying be deliberate and disciplined with a different position. I just don't like seeing the classic training creeping into a dance that is not going for that. For me seeing the slip into classic training is a bit like when an actor slips into their native accent for a sentence, not wrong, just noticeably different and sometimes a bit out of place. The stuff I am talking about would work lovely in T&I still, but they are very different pieces and thus different styles.

How are you saying his hands/fingers should be then?
Yes, you're right, Kori made also street dance. But Kori is a highly educated teacher, she was studying spine training! It is for this reason I hope that Kori saves the spine of Jason, she is careful to the exercises. (And perhaps for this reason that she does not seek the quad or she doesn’t force Jason’s spine during the Bielmann.)
I do not know, how Jason should hold hands. More simply put some links. Sure, not as the dancers of Russia which is one pure Kitsch! All the fingers in every direction! Bleah!
Maybe as in American modern dance! America is the birthplace of modern dance! (I say it being an European!) Maybe as a dancer of Martha Graham’s technique! Or like in the choreographies of another American choreographer, an ex student of Martha Graham, Robert North!

Martha Graham Dance Company:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv9r8-bq_FQ

Robert North and others modern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zVHl2Xr0Y

Jiry Kylian and the NDT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZiGt0RLHkw

Kylian’s „Juke” or „Cotton Eyed” for Mozart 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynpO-3PL-SM

And this  (In memoriam Virginia Wolf):
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150514536683280&video_source=pages_finch_main_video

AND NOT!!!!! this hands and fingers!!!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tzG9CcjO7Q

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Have to say.... I love love how well his hairstyle matches the costume!

Also, I've already watched the program at least 8 times. So captivating! Can't wait to see it live at nationals!!!!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, and I especially like how the arrow shot is soon after the one-handed Biellmann spin whose shape reminds me of a bow. Those little Rohene touches are brilliant!
Sorry, I am not sure but If I recall correctly, that is not a Biellmann but more like a catch-foot spiral position. He is still in the camel position IMO.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, and I especially like how the arrow shot is soon after the one-handed Biellmann spin whose shape reminds me of a bow. Those little Rohene touches are brilliant!

Sorry, I am not sure but If I recall correctly, that is not a Biellmann but more like a catch-foot spiral position. He is still in the camel position IMO.

I think katmari means this position??

Thank you for pointing out the resemblance to a bow, which is very cool :cool:, no matter what it should be called (I don't know). (And I usually dislike blade-grabbing.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Jason has fully answered the question, "How do you follow Riverdance?" :love: The LP is incredible. Such a powerful performance, with attention to detail (his movements are even in sync with the flapping? sounds in the beginning). Riverdance was a dance of joy; Jason has proved he is equally adept at portraying pain.

Some of the sound effects were a bit strange, but I think they work. I wouldn't change anything about the program. All I want is for him to keep improving his jumps, because they look somewhat small right now (compared to the top men).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think katmari means this position??
Thank you for pointing out the resemblance to a bow, which is very cool :cool:, no matter what it should be called (I don't know). (And I usually dislike blade-grabbing.)
Yes, it's catch-foot from a camel spin. :) I also love that position. I myself can try that (but much uglier lol).
As for Biellmann, it hurts and :cry: hurts so... No. I just want to say it's not Bielmann, still it's beautiful.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
balletanddancefan thanks for the links. . . it is interesting how little things like hand position can really alter how things look.

The American style seems to be a bit more hand straight from wrist with no bend and fingers straight and together. I think I like the don't make the fingers obvious approach a little better. Hands seem more to either be doing something deliberate or and extension of the arm/body line as a whole.

I re-watched Juke a few times. There is actually a lot of for lack of a better term hand choreography in there. Lots of fists, a few finger guns, some snap type positions, one part i think he is even doing piano fingers. He is doing stuff that suits the style (but is still deliberate and controlled, not propelled by inertia). I am starting to wonder if there was more of that if it would get to be too much, likewise I wonder if the playful finger guns and such sorta cause the contrast in styles to make the pretty stuff more noticeable. I do think you hit the nail on the head that fingers less splayed and a straighter wrist would help. Or maybe it is that way to throw a bone to the judges who do like the fingers everywhere.

And I have to say the spine training does interest me. :laugh:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, it's catch-foot from a camel spin. :) I also love that position. I myself can try that (but much uglier lol).
As for Biellmann, it hurts and :cry: hurts so... No. I just want to say it's not Bielmann, still it's beautiful.

Sorry for not being clearer about which spin I meant earlier, I was posting from work (shhhh) ... the spin starts here at about 1:25 into the program and it's the ending position that reminds me of a bow.

alabhaois

On the Ice
...sometimes he keeps his fingers too open (separate) and sometimes the arc of the arms and hands broken at the wrists...

You saw something I didn't consciously notice-- his fingers do splay. I didn't notice it when he was skating
but I saw that when he put his hand over his heart during the SSB that his fingers were apart instead of
closer together and I thought it looked a tiny bit unusual. But then, I suppose, everyone has his/her own
way of saluting when the national anthem plays.

http://imgur.com/dWdDYzC

ETA: You'll have to copy & paste the url into your browser-- the link functionality appears to be
broken at the moment.

Good catch, balletanddancefan! You and everyone else here have such sharp eyes and attention
to detail!! :agree:

I've already learned so much just from reading the posts. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I never occurred to me until you all brought it up, but I looked at my hands and my fingures are actually naturally separated.

I think part of the reason is 9 years of piano lessons. The other is likely cause I type a lot of words for a living, so perhaps my hands are accustomed to widening for keyboarding, LOL.

alabhaois

On the Ice
My absolute favourite in T&I is this Ina Bauer shooting an arrow move :love:

AHHH!! TMC, thank you for pointing out the arrow move-- I must have noticed it subconsciously but not
consciously-- either way, it's sublime the way he so seamlessly incorporates it. Very subtle and most elegant.

Any other things you notice, don't hesitate to post here! My untrained eye misses most of the subtleties and
symbolic gestures, but that's OK-- it's great fun uncovering them. ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was looking for photos of fingers together and/or splayed and instead found this:

the last time Jason skated with his hair down before T&I?

<<http://o2.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/format/jpg/quality/82/resize/1024x768/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/50582f6b4f871df4f9553018351d06b1>>

Squeee alert:biggrin:

ETA: Sorry I can't make the link work, but cut and paste in the browser brings it up. 2 old 4 tech:scratch: