Jason Brown | Page 98 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

TMC

Record Breaker
Hmm I hadn't noticed that Jason wears a bandage on his hand??

Oh my Ivan Righini :eek::

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm I hadn't noticed that Jason wears a bandage on his hand??

My guess would be either that he cut himself doing one of his catch-foots (not at all uncommon) in practice, or that it's part of the costume (since Tristan was given the potion by Isolde in an attempt to heal a wound...)

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I know, I just happened to notice his photos as well and they were pretty hot ;)

Actually I think that they do share one characteristic: both are natural born performers!

Ok, if you consider hot Righini :sarcasm:
I being half Italian consider it an offense Righini (which is Russian, however, who lives in Italy).
It is true that we have many crappy italian macho but the majority of Italian men are much more beautiful and normal PER FORTUNA.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I know, I just happened to notice his photos as well and they were pretty hot ;)

Actually I think that they do share one characteristic: both are natural born performers!

Of course Jason doesn't need to roll on the ice with naked chest he is cute (and in a certain sense attractive) in any suit, sometimes hat and boots including....:clap::yay:

TMC

Record Breaker
Ok, if you consider hot Righini :sarcasm:
I being half Italian consider it an offense Righini (which is Russian, however, who lives in Italy).
It is true that we have many crappy italian macho but the majority of Italian men are much more beautiful and normal PER FORTUNA.

De gustibus non est disputandum ;)

When I look at him, I don't think "Italian Macho". I think "visually, this person is pleasing to my eyes". I don't really think about nationality at all, at least I try to avoid it. Subconsciously it is sometimes unavoidable, of course. National stereotypes and nationalism has caused so much grief in the world.

TMC

Record Breaker
Of course Jason doesn't need to roll on the ice with naked chest he is cute (and in a certain sense attractive) in any suit, sometimes hat and boots including....:clap::yay:

Yes they sure have very different themes in their performances :laugh:

I enjoy both ;)

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Yes they sure have very different themes in their performances :laugh:

I enjoy both ;)[/QUOT
Dear TMC!
I'm sorry! I'm too sensitive to this issue ...:bow: When I saw Righini I thought: but he plays the typical Italian macho jerk ... shirt unbuttoned (later removed), heavy gold chains around his neck (with a VERY BIG GOLD crucifix pentant like an autentic maffioso )... only thing missing was the famous white cotton sleveless undershirt from the era of the great Neorealismo :no:
OK, OK, forgive me, this is my sensitivity
But trust me, the majority of Italian men is much more cute than the picture interpretated by Righini ...
The rest: Jason with his hair curls (ponytail included) could pass for an Italian (or mediterranean). The only difference: the Italians (and others) don't use a lot of gel, hairspray, mousse. They love curly hair.:)
One more thing: In Europe the ponytail for men is not considered feminine.
It can be historian, rocker, comfy (if you have a lot of hair), hipster, oriental style but not feminine.
The feminine males wear their hair VERY sophisticatedly cut, generally short.

alabhaois

On the Ice
De gustibus non est disputandum ;)

How interesting re the Latin phrase you quoted. When I looked it up for the English translation, I read this:

De gustibus non est disputandum is a Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"
(literally "[that] of taste is not to be discussed"). :yes:​

That makes good sense and I agree with it. But then I went on to read this:

The phrase is most commonly rendered in English as "There is no accounting for taste" (or "There is no
accounting for tastes").​

So the English translation has completely changed the sentiment of the Latin expression! Latin says, in essence,
"to each his own," while in English it means, "some people have no taste." :eek:

Huge difference. Latin is a philosophical statement while the English is disparaging. :disapp:

(I've a deep interest in language)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How interesting re the Latin phrase you quoted. When I looked it up for the English translation, I read this:

De gustibus non est disputandum is a Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"

The phrase is most commonly rendered in English as "There is no accounting for taste" (or "There is no

So the English translation has completely changed the sentiment of the Latin expression! Latin says, in essence,
"to each his own," while in English it means, "some people have no taste." :eek:

Huge difference. Latin is a philosophical statement while the English is disparaging. :disapp:

I share your deep interest in language. :)

And I do not agree that "There is no accounting for taste" = "Some people have no taste."

When I say, "There is no accounting for taste," my meaning is much more innocuous -- merely that someone's taste happens not to be my cup of tea. (Very different from thinking that the person has no taste.)

I would use the phrase also when two people who very often like the same things happen in a particular case to like different things. It would be a neutral observation, not a judgment of either party.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Language is fascinating.

I actually took the accounting part more literal. Like there is no balance sheet like you use in accounting to measure and and compare taste. You can rationally put a numeric value on it, it is not quantifiable. Interesting how each takes it.

Even the first translation it seems "there shall be" or "there can't" be seems more accurate to the sentiment. At first reading I took "There can be" more to mean that good taste is not arguable - not a to each his own sentiment. I like the literal better.

alabhaois

On the Ice
Language is fascinating.

I actually took the accounting part more literal. Like there is no balance sheet like you use in accounting to measure and and compare taste. You can rationally put a numeric value on it, it is not quantifiable. Interesting how each takes it.

Even the first translation it seems "there shall be" or "there can't" be seems more accurate to the sentiment. At first reading I took "There can be" more to mean that good taste is not arguable - not a to each his own sentiment. I like the literal better.

Language is fascinating and I appreciate your insight. In the matter of "There is no accounting for taste," the only context in which I've ever heard it is, for example, if three friends are shopping and one goes gaga over a truly ugly dress, the first friend might turn to the second and say snidely, "Well, there's no accounting for taste."

I found a few bits for this:

There is no accounting for taste(s).
Prov. You cannot blame different people because they like different things, even if you do not understand why they like what they like. Jill: I can't believe so many people are going to see that idiotic movie. Jane: There's no accounting for tastes.

Prov. Cliché There is no explanation for people's preferences. Look at that purple and orange car! There's no accounting for taste. Some people seemed to like the music, although I thought it was worse than noise. There's no accounting for taste.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/accounting

Those examples are subtly (or not so, perhaps) different from "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"

It evidently evolved over the decades as so many words/phrases have.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Language is fascinating and I appreciate your insight. In the matter of "There is no accounting for taste," the only context in which I've ever heard it is, for example, if three friends are shopping and one goes gaga over a truly ugly dress, the first friend might turn to the second and say snidely, "Well, there's no accounting for taste."

I found a few bits for this: ...

:agree: Agree that language is fascinating.

Below are a couple of other bits that reflect the sense of disagreement (and perhaps bewilderment) -- but not a sense of disparagement, IMO.
I think of the phrase being used with good-natured laughter and a shrug, and not with a snide or mean-spirited tone.

there's no accounting for taste
saying
› said when it is difficult to explain why different people like different things, especially things that you do not like:
"I love working at weekends." "Well, there's no accounting for taste!"

there's no accounting for tastes (or taste)
proverb
It’s impossible to explain why different people like different things, especially those things which the speaker considers unappealing.

alabhaois

On the Ice
golden411, do you think these examples (the italicized portions) are illustrative of a certain measure of condescension?

Prov. You cannot blame different people because they like different things, even if you do not understand why they like what they like. Jill: I can't believe so many people are going to see that idiotic movie. Jane: There's no accounting for tastes.

Prov. Cliché There is no explanation for people's preferences. Look at that purple and orange car! There's no accounting for taste. Some people seemed to like the music, although I thought it was worse than noise. There's no accounting for taste.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/accounting

Perhaps I miss the subtle difference but, IMO, the above examples seem tantamount to saying, "He/she has questionable taste." (The use of pejorative/judgmental terms such as "idiotic," and "worse than noise.")

But I'm certainly not disagreeing with you-- I appreciate others' thoughts on the matter. (And it's rather difficult to quibble with the Oxford & Cambridge Dictionaries!) :slink: