Jason Brown | Page 99 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, Jason's forum certainly has some great discussions on different topics.

All of these posts are reasonable reactions, but I need to jump in with *the* interpretation. Not based on my own limited knowledge, but that of spousal unit, who has been a professor of classics of our local large private university (Lehigh) for 39 years, with degrees in Latin and/or Classics from Yale, Oxford and Brown (haha, Brown, Jason has his own university. :laugh:) I say all the degrees not to show off, but to show that on this, spousal unit knows whereof he speaks.

The literal translation is not what the phrase meant to an ancient Roman. Although the literal translation is indeed in "about taste there can be no disputing", the phrase came out of Ciceronian prose, and in that context, to an ancient Roman, the meaning was "There is no accounting for taste", or indeed, a chacun son gout.

Of course, if someone were to say they were not impressed by Jason's liveliness and joy in skating, there would be no accounting for taste!

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Language is fascinating and I appreciate your insight. In the matter of "There is no accounting for taste," the only context in which I've ever heard it is, for example, if three friends are shopping and one goes gaga over a truly ugly dress, the first friend might turn to the second and say snidely, "Well, there's no accounting for taste."

I found a few bits for this:

There is no accounting for taste(s).
Prov. You cannot blame different people because they like different things, even if you do not understand why they like what they like. Jill: I can't believe so many people are going to see that idiotic movie. Jane: There's no accounting for tastes.

Prov. Cliché There is no explanation for people's preferences. Look at that purple and orange car! There's no accounting for taste. Some people seemed to like the music, although I thought it was worse than noise. There's no accounting for taste.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/accounting

Those examples are subtly (or not so, perhaps) different from "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes"

It evidently evolved over the decades as so many words/phrases have.

O people! Is very interesting read your interpration of the Latin sentence :) I understand the Latin worsd but I needed to translete with a vocabulary your English interpretations! The origigal Latin frase means: only person has the own personal taste and only person is okay with him/her personal taste!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

All of these posts are reasonable reactions, but I need to jump in with *the* interpretation. Not based on my own limited knowledge, but that of spousal unit, who has been a professor of classics of our local large private university (Lehigh) for 39 years, with degrees in Latin and/or Classics from Yale, Oxford and Brown (haha, Brown, Jason has his own university. :laugh:) I say all the degrees not to show off, but to show that on this, spousal unit knows whereof he speaks.

The literal translation is not what the phrase meant to an ancient Roman. Although the literal translation is indeed in "about taste there can be no disputing", the phrase came out of Ciceronian prose, and in that context, to an ancient Roman, the meaning was "There is no accounting for taste", or indeed, a chacun son gout.

Of course, if someone were to say they were not impressed by Jason's liveliness and joy in skating, there would be no accounting for taste!

OOOOOHHH, duh! Christmas City, USA = Bethlehem, DUH! Anyway, wanted to note the shoutout cause I spent the first 16 years of my life in Montgomery and Philadelphia counties and been to Bethlehem a few times.

I always considered Lehigh a very good school. :)

So your take is the emphasis on "accounting" rather than "taste?" WeakAnkles uses that phrase a lot, I'd like to know he used it correctly. :)

alabhaois

On the Ice
Ah yes... Jason. We do have our little detours but ALWAYS we come back to the whole reason for this thread. That's what has brought us together. :biggrin:

alabhaois

On the Ice
Very impressive, el henry!! Don't think of it as showing off because it's not. I know how much work goes into becoming /being a professor (my father was one) and I always will love the world of academia-- learning is a joy. Lifelong learning.

Thank you for clarifying the fact that "the literal translation is not what the phrase meant in ancient Roman."
And finally, Jason's liveliness and joy in skating are an utter joy to me and I'm honored to be part of this forum. :clap:

TMC

Record Breaker
I've always understood is as sort of the opposite of condescending, more like the admission that "I do not share your positive opinion on thing X, but I accept that you like it, and I don't, and I do not need to understand why, nor can I, nor do we need to talk about it if the purpose of that conversation is to get me to like it or you to dislike it, because that is not going to happen, because for some reason some people like one thing and some people like another thing. That's just the way it is, there's no accounting for this fact, there's no explanation. It just is so. So in view of this, if we let each other like what we like without being condescending or superior about it, we'll all get along better and be the happier for it!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
golden411, do you think these examples (the italicized portions) are illustrative of a certain measure of condescension?

Prov. You cannot blame different people because they like different things, even if you do not understand why they like what they like. Jill: I can't believe so many people are going to see that idiotic movie. Jane: There's no accounting for tastes.

Prov. Cliché There is no explanation for people's preferences. Look at that purple and orange car! There's no accounting for taste. Some people seemed to like the music, although I thought it was worse than noise. There's no accounting for taste.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/accounting

Perhaps I miss the subtle difference but, IMO, the above examples seem tantamount to saying, "He/she has questionable taste." (The use of pejorative/judgmental terms such as "idiotic," and "worse than noise.")

But I'm certainly not disagreeing with you-- I appreciate others' thoughts on the matter. (And it's rather difficult to quibble with the Oxford & Cambridge Dictionaries!) :slink:

Continuing our civilized discussion, I would say that IMO, whether serious condescension is intended would depend on the context.

"Idiotic" often is used in affectionate banter as a pejorative only in the most lighthearted sense. I could imagine Jane and Jill as friends since childhood. They along with Jim, who is Jane's brother and Jill's boyfriend, are trying to decide what movie they should go to together that night. Jim suggests the latest Action Blockbuster, a genre that has never interested Jane. Jane teases Jim, "I can't believe so many people are going to see that idiotic movie." Jill, who doesn't want to take sides, gives Jim a wink and replies, "There's no accounting for tastes." Jill's response makes them all laugh, and they move on to throwing out names of other movies that might be enjoyable for all three.

Re: Some people seemed to like the music, although I thought it was worse than noise. There's no accounting for taste.
What I find notable about this example is that the speaker refers to "some people" liking the music -- indicating an awareness that appreciation of the music is not a unique phenomenon limited to just one person. I could imagine myself making this comment with a tolerant smile and the recognition that perhaps those same "some people" would consider the kind of music that I like to be "worse than noise." :laugh: My usage of the phrase would be an acknowledgment that any belief of mine that my taste is better than theirs would be no more valid than any belief of theirs that their taste is better than mine.

I've always understood is as sort of the opposite of condescending, more like the admission that "I do not share your positive opinion on thing X, but I accept that you like it, and I don't, and I do not need to understand why, nor can I, nor do we need to talk about it if the purpose of that conversation is to get me to like it or you to dislike it, because that is not going to happen, because for some reason some people like one thing and some people like another thing. That's just the way it is, there's no accounting for this fact, there's no explanation. It just is so. So in view of this, if we let each other like what we like without being condescending or superior about it, we'll all get along better and be the happier for it!

:agree: :agree: Thanks, TMC. Agree 2000%.

.... a chacun son gout...

I don't know French, and don't know this expression. Thanks for exposing me to something new. :)
If(??) it's the same thing as chacun à son goût, two definitions I see, for what they are worth:

TMC

Record Breaker
My usage of the phrase would be an acknowledgment that any belief of mine that my taste is better than theirs would be no more valid than any belief of theirs that their taste is better than mine.

This is exactly what I think & meant, nicely condenced into one simple sentence :yes:

alabhaois

On the Ice
Absolutely, golden411. I particularly like your statement, "... I would say that IMO, whether serious condescension is intended would depend on the context."

Before today, I honestly had heard the phrase in a condescending tone only-- now I see there are different gradations of meaning and I appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks, all, for your input! :)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I seem to recall someone asking if there was a video of the Olympic team medal ceremony and I found one today with footage of Jason (and the rest of the American team) receiving their medals:

Team Medal Ceremony part 1

Team Medal Ceremony part 2

The medal award happens at around the 7 minute mark of part 1 and the team receives their flowers at the beginning of part 2. Jason is adorable as always. :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OOOOOHHH, duh! Christmas City, USA = Bethlehem, DUH! Anyway, wanted to note the shoutout cause I spent the first 16 years of my life in Montgomery and Philadelphia counties and been to Bethlehem a few times.

I always considered Lehigh a very good school. :)

So your take is the emphasis on "accounting" rather than "taste?" WeakAnkles uses that phrase a lot, I'd like to know he used it correctly. :)

Well if you spent the first 16 years in Philadelphia, Mrs. P, at least you know how to pronounce "water" correctly. ( Born and raised there, and moved to Bethl'em for love:love:. The kids at Lehigh have been pretty decent, over the years, so thanks for the good words).

Yes, the emphasis is on accounting, in the sense that (and I think that TMC may have captured this), there's no sense fighting over taste. We all have it, and our own taste is always right. Unless someone likes Cotton Eyed Joe, then their taste is just wrong.:laugh:

<<I don't know French, and don't know this expression. Thanks for exposing me to something new.
If(??) it's the same thing as chacun à son goût, two definitions I see, for what they are worth:
- everyone to his taste
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...on goût
- Each to one’s own taste.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...-son-go%C3%BBt>>

Yes, Golden, it is the same phrase. Some day I will figure out accents and circumflexes on my keyboard, but not today. (maybe the same day I will figure out multiple quotes in one post on these boards. ;) I do know some French, when it came time to select languages in school, I thought, I love Canadians (Toller and the Flyers), so I selected French. Great selection process, eh?

babyskate

On the Ice

I am a Lehigh alum and a huge Jason fan. I was an engineering major so may not have had your wife as a professor but I love the connection as I always enjoy your posts.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Well if you spent the first 16 years in Philadelphia, Mrs. P, at least you know how to pronounce "water" correctly. ( Born and raised there, and moved to Bethl'em for love:love:. The kids at Lehigh have been pretty decent, over the years, so thanks for the good words).

Yes, the emphasis is on accounting, in the sense that (and I think that TMC may have captured this), there's no sense fighting over taste. We all have it, and our own taste is always right. Unless someone likes Cotton Eyed Joe, then their taste is just wrong.:laugh:

<<I don't know French, and don't know this expression. Thanks for exposing me to something new.
- everyone to his taste
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...on goût
- Each to one’s own taste.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...-son-go%C3%BBt>>

Yes, Golden, it is the same phrase. Some day I will figure out accents and circumflexes on my keyboard, but not today. (maybe the same day I will figure out multiple quotes in one post on these boards. ;) I do know some French, when it came time to select languages in school, I thought, I love Canadians (Toller and the Flyers), so I selected French. Great selection process, eh?
ajaj, I see the old story of the case of Iulius Caesar about asparagus with butter instead of olive oil has had its streets in the world .... http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gustibus_non_est_disputandum :scratch:

alabhaois

On the Ice
I seem to recall someone asking if there was a video of the Olympic team medal ceremony and I found one today with footage of Jason (and the rest of the American team) receiving their medals:

Team Medal Ceremony part 1

Team Medal Ceremony part 2

The medal award happens at around the 7 minute mark of part 1 and the team receives their flowers at the beginning of part 2. Jason is adorable as always. :)

Thanks, katmari-- I was the one who asked (or one of the ones)

Yep-- hes's adorable as always. :love:

How overwhelming for him--indeed, all of the medalists!!

:points:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am a Lehigh alum and a huge Jason fan. I was an engineering major so may not have had your wife as a professor but I love the connection as I always enjoy your posts.

Aww, thx,with the worldwide scope of the forum, I wasn't even sure anyone would know Lehigh (go Engineers, er, Mountain Hawks!) And some of spousal unit's best students were from the engineering college (taking their arts college requirements). BTW, I am a she and he is a he, the "henry" always throws people, but it is my (not his) last name. I need to come up with a better screen name. :eek:

Very impressive, el henry!! Don't think of it as showing off because it's not. I know how much work goes into becoming /being a professor (my father was one) and I always will love the world of academia-- learning is a joy. Lifelong learning.

Thank you for clarifying the fact that "the literal translation is not what the phrase meant in ancient Roman."
And finally, Jason's liveliness and joy in skating are an utter joy to me and I'm honored to be part of this forum. :clap:

Glad to be of help; you know as a PK that academics are more than happy when someone shows some interest in their subject. Much like USFA should be glad that fans are showing interest in skating again due to Jason. ;)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks, katmari-- I was the one who asked (or one of the ones)

Yep-- hes's adorable as always. :love:

How overwhelming for him--indeed, all of the medalists!!

Glad you enjoyed it, alabhaois. :) He certainly had a "I can't believe this is real but I'm loving every minute of it" expression on his face.

Thanks in return for the ponytail link. I've been a fan of Johnny Depp since 21 Jump Street and he knows how to rock a ponytail almost as good as Jason. ;)

More Jason adorableness this weekend. Yesterday he tweeted:

Jason Brown ‏@jasonbskates
For the next 2 days, I'm going 2 be working with @usgcorp families/customers...so excited 4 the activities coming up! #USGGamesFamilyEdition

This morning he posted an update:

Last night's cook-off! We made golden baked potatoes in honor of the unbelievable @JoeyCheek! @usgcorp #TeamInvite

And included one of his montage photos:

montage

To which Joey Cheek responded:

Joey Cheek ‏@JoeyCheek
Ha, I know when I've been in a tweet by @jasonbskates when all the sudden I get 40 notifications!

:laugh:

Additional posts throughout the day:

The 5 kids on my @usgcorp team r ready 2 go! We have one exciting day up ahead! #USGTeamInvite #usgbuildit #TeamBlack

photo

#TeamInvite is training hard preparing for our upcoming sports competitions!! usgcorp #USGfamilyGames

video

Sitting Volleyball...#USGTeamInspire vs. #USGTeamInvite #Black vs. #Red @usgcorp

photo

Dueling with the usgcorp team! Thanks #USFencingTeam for teaching us your moves!! Go #usgteaminvite!!!

Video

Lucky kids!

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Glad you enjoyed it, alabhaois. :) He certainly had a "I can't believe this is real but I'm loving every minute of it" expression on his face.

Huge thanks frome me, too!

Is it just me or does the audience cheer more for Jason than anyone else :biggrin:

I hear he's very popular in Russia!

alabhaois

On the Ice

Is it just me or does the audience cheer more for Jason than anyone else :biggrin:

I do think that he received more (or louder) applause than the others. And the look of gratitude
and wonder on his face is priceless. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

There are a few clips out there that it really does seem like he is getting more cheers than others. At the Olympics clip he certainly got more than the girls, but it was almost like once they started cheering for Jason, they just kept going which is almost better than only he getting cheers.

I think my favorite is the one from Bombard last year (2013). Both when they call his name to skate out and later when he gets his medal after the anthem, the crowd is clearly much more enthusiastic about Jason than the gold and silver medalists. As a reminder, it was Chan and Hanyu that beat him. (also at the end
a little over 8.5 minutes in, I think he can be seen putting the medal around Kori's neck, so sweet)

Im looking forward to seeing the crowd reactions at Skate America. . . skating in his home town to a song by a local artist, that arena has the potential to be really really loud!

I keep hearing talk that he is popular in Russia, but we will see later in the GP I guess.