Preliminary Entries 2013 Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Preliminary Entries 2013 Skate America

LRK

Record Breaker
Sounds like a messy situation. Got to love the French skating fed.

Good grief... yes, with them in your corner, you really don't need enemies, do you?

Well, I suppose it's a relief that he isn't injured.... ? (shakes head)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) is #3 on the replacement list, so if he and USFS are willing, he could replace Joubert. He does have SC next week.

French Masters was last week. If Gailhaguet wanted to sanction Joubert, he could have done so in time enough for USFS to have more than enough time for a replacement. Is he not giving the finger also to Russia (Joubert's second event is CoR), or did he not save his bile only for the US?

LRK

Record Breaker
Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) is #3 on the replacement list, so if he and USFS are willing, he could replace Joubert. He does have SC next week.

French Masters was last week. If Gailhaguet wanted to sanction Joubert, he could have done so in time enough for USFS to have more than enough time for a replacement. Is he not giving the finger also to Russia (Joubert's second event is CoR), or did he not save his bile only for the US?

Who knows? I suppose we won't know until a few days before that either... ? It would be nice if he had bothered to inform the athlete he was sanctioning? "You were prepared to go - waiting for your tickets, were you? Ha! - Surprise! - You're not going at all! So there!" Such responsible, mature behaviour... If he's willing to treat one of his most decorated skaters that way, what does he care about foreign federations or replacements or other skaters?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who knows? I suppose we won't know until a few days before that either... ? It would be nice if he had bothered to inform the athlete he was sanctioning? "You were prepared to go - waiting for your tickets, were you? Ha! - Surprise! - You're not going at all! So there!" Such responsible, mature behaviour... If he's willing to treat one of his most decorated skaters that way, what does he care about foreign federations or replacements or other skaters?

Um, Joubert didn't enter French Masters. His reasoning was that he wasn't prepared.

If he wasn't prepared for a tiny little domestic comp, how the hell did he expect to be ready for a Senior GP?

IMO, I'm with the French fed on this one. And surely Joubert's fans didn't want to see him underdone?

LRK

Record Breaker
Um, Joubert didn't enter French Masters. His reasoning was that he wasn't prepared.

If he wasn't prepared for a tiny little domestic comp, how the hell did he expect to be ready for a Senior GP?

IMO, I'm with the French fed on this one. And surely Joubert's fans didn't want to see him underdone?

What I said was that the person sanctioned ought to have been informed. As of Saturday, Brian was not. I presume that Gaillaghuet did not just wake up on Monday and decide to have him sanctioned. Presumably this had been in the works for some time. Or should have been. But your mileage may vary. Whatever.

Victura

On the Ice
I don't agree with the sanction (it's not like Masters was mandatory and clearly Joubert didn't know it was) but if it had to happen, I agree with LRK that Brian should have been informed sooner. In fact, everyone should have been informed sooner...another skater could have taken his place, since it doesn't seem likely that they will send some someone else so close to the competition. It's just a wasted spot. (The French federation doesn't necessarily do things that make a lot of sense though - they had three men's spots at the last Worlds and only sent two, so that spot was also wasted.)

For what it's worth, Joubert was just allowed to start training in the new rink in Poitiers from mid-September, and construction hasn't even completely finished yet. Before that, he and his coach had been commuting an hour away, and it's very likely that he just wanted some more time in a stable training situation before competing.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, so it's two of the top men probably out... And probably no time for a replacement, too... :bang:
(This should be good news for Gachinski and Rippon...)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks, golden411 - Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing, and he's perfectly fine.

He's got twitter, too, I think? Does anyone know if he uses it much, and if he does, has he said anything about being unwell?

His last Twitter post was from Sept. 28. But it looks like he's has gone weeks at a time without posting, so I don't think it's necessarily a concern.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not jumping to any conclusions, but the GS post above citing TSL's Facebook page as a source of the rumor is a little troubling.
I have not looked at TSL's FB page, so I don't know whether TSL itself posted the rumor or whether a random third party posted it there as a comment.

If TSL itself posted the rumor, I have some concern that it might prove to be true. They do have a track record of knowing inside scoop re Frank Carroll and his skaters [and/or prospective skaters ;)] ...

LRK

Record Breaker
Good point, golden411 - So I went to their FB page (haven't been there before), and it is apparently TSL themselves who wrote:

The Skating Lesson

för 6 timmar sedan via mobil.

Hearing Denis Ten will be out of Skate America.

(Sorry about the Swedish - I copy/pasted - it says: 6 hours ago via mobile/cell phone.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not jumping to any conclusions, but the GS post above citing TSL's Facebook page as a source of the rumor is a little troubling.
I have not looked at TSL's FB page, so I don't know whether TSL itself posted the rumor or whether a random third party posted it there as a comment.

If TSL itself posted the rumor, I have some concern that it might prove to be true. They do have a track record of knowing inside scoop re Frank Carroll and his skaters [and/or prospective skaters ;)] ...

TSL posted it on his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/TheSkatingLesson/posts/416215461833761

Hearing Denis Ten will be out of Skate America.

About Joubert, any conspiracy theorists out there? What if Brian found himself unready for Skate America and needed a way to back out without backing out. So Gailhaguet steps in and "sanctions" him for skipping an event that he didn't even know he was supposed to do, deflecting criticism off Joubert.

Would Gailhaguet be so sneaky? :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
About Joubert, any conspiracy theorists out there? What if Brian found himself unready for Skate America and needed a way to back out without backing out. So Gailhaguet steps in and "sanctions" him for skipping an event that he didn't even know he was supposed to do, deflecting criticism off Joubert.

Would Gailhaguet be so sneaky? :laugh:

I doubt he's teaming up with Gailhaguet. In a recent interview, he acknowledged that the federation's favor is now on Amodio and away from him.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meanwhile Chafik Besseghier beat Amodio in the SP at French Masters. Unfortunately, Chafik broke his ankle in the warmup or practice for the LP.

LRK

Record Breaker
Meanwhile Chafik Besseghier beat Amodio in the SP at French Masters. Unfortunately, Chafik broke his ankle in the warmup or practice for the LP.

Ugh! Poor Chafik!

So, did he beat Florent because he was that good - or was Florent that bad? Just curious.