Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Preliminary Entries 2013 Skate America

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachuusb View Post
    I just saw TSL posting on Facebook that Denis Ten may be out as well :(
    @USFigureSkating just now tweeted, "We have not heard anything," regarding Denis Ten rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    @USFigureSkating just now tweeted, "We have not heard anything," regarding Denis Ten rumors.
    Thanks, golden411 - Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing, and he's perfectly fine.

He's got twitter, too, I think? Does anyone know if he uses it much, and if he does, has he said anything about being unwell?

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Thanks, golden411 - Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing, and he's perfectly fine.

He's got twitter, too, I think? Does anyone know if he uses it much, and if he does, has he said anything about being unwell?
    His last Twitter post was from Sept. 28. But it looks like he's has gone weeks at a time without posting, so I don't think it's necessarily a concern.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Not jumping to any conclusions, but the GS post above citing TSL's Facebook page as a source of the rumor is a little troubling.
    I have not looked at TSL's FB page, so I don't know whether TSL itself posted the rumor or whether a random third party posted it there as a comment.

If TSL itself posted the rumor, I have some concern that it might prove to be true. They do have a track record of knowing inside scoop re Frank Carroll and his skaters [and/or prospective skaters ] ...

Good point, golden411 - So I went to their FB page (haven't been there before), and it is apparently TSL themselves who wrote:

The Skating Lesson

för 6 timmar sedan via mobil.

Hearing Denis Ten will be out of Skate America.

(Sorry about the Swedish - I copy/pasted - it says: 6 hours ago via mobile/cell phone.)

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Not jumping to any conclusions, but the GS post above citing TSL's Facebook page as a source of the rumor is a little troubling.
    I have not looked at TSL's FB page, so I don't know whether TSL itself posted the rumor or whether a random third party posted it there as a comment.

If TSL itself posted the rumor, I have some concern that it might prove to be true. They do have a track record of knowing inside scoop re Frank Carroll and his skaters [and/or prospective skaters ] ...
    TSL posted it on his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/TheSkatingL...16215461833761

Hearing Denis Ten will be out of Skate America.

About Joubert, any conspiracy theorists out there? What if Brian found himself unready for Skate America and needed a way to back out without backing out. So Gailhaguet steps in and "sanctions" him for skipping an event that he didn't even know he was supposed to do, deflecting criticism off Joubert.

Would Gailhaguet be so sneaky?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    About Joubert, any conspiracy theorists out there? What if Brian found himself unready for Skate America and needed a way to back out without backing out. So Gailhaguet steps in and "sanctions" him for skipping an event that he didn't even know he was supposed to do, deflecting criticism off Joubert.

I doubt he's teaming up with Gailhaguet. In a recent interview, he acknowledged that the federation's favor is now on Amodio and away from him.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Meanwhile Chafik Besseghier beat Amodio in the SP at French Masters. Unfortunately, Chafik broke his ankle in the warmup or practice for the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Meanwhile Chafik Besseghier beat Amodio in the SP at French Masters. Unfortunately, Chafik broke his ankle in the warmup or practice for the LP.
    Ugh! Poor Chafik!

So, did he beat Florent because he was that good - or was Florent that bad? Just curious.

You know, this thought had occurred to me, especially because Joubert hasn't been an early season skater in the past and has had an unstable training situation recently, so it's quite likely that if he did go to Skate America, he wouldn't have given particularly great performances. On the other hand, this doesn't exactly help Joubert either because it kind of sends the signal that the federation isn't really supporting him. So...I don't know. Given what I've heard about Gailhaguet and his behind the scenes machinations with coach switching and everything (making P/B switch coaches, forcing other skaters out of the Zazoui group), this sounds like it's right up his alley. Still, it seems like a particularly severe punishment, especially when other skaters have withdrawn from Masters before without any kind of sanction.

So, did he beat Florent because he was that good - or was Florent that bad? Just curious.
    I didn't see Chafik's performance, but saw Florent's and am inclined to believe the latter, unfortunately.

This is something else that doesn't make a lot of sense regarding FFSG not supporting Brian. I get that this is his last season and they're putting their support behind someone younger like Florent, but quite frankly, Florent hasn't exactly been giving sterling performances (and I generally like the guy, even if his skating style is not really my cup of tea). As far as Worlds results go, Brian has always beaten Florent. For someone who's been the biggest star of French skating for a long time (and probably will be for some time to come), it doesn't make sense to me that FFSG would throw him under the bus.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Rinkside
    Denis is officially withdrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by obalamus View Post
    Denis is officially withdrawn.
    So TSL proves itself as a reliable source

Custom Title

This post makes me smile (in a good way). Wonderfully mischievous.

Although I really loved watching Joubert skate last year, he seemed to skate several of last year's events "unready" and it did not seem to bother him. As an example, coming off an illness, with scant training time, into the French Grand Prix, there was basically no hope of his being able to skate well at it. But he went there, and he skated his best given the circumstances, and he made no apologies. None required IMO. I think that this is one skater who has reached a point in his life who loves to skate in front of an audience pretty well no matter what. I don't think Joubert would do something like that (even where it might be undeniably prudent). Not in his DNA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast