Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Preliminary Entries 2013 Skate America

Custom Title
    So sorry to hear about Denis withdrawing. Hope it's not a serious injury...

Very unfortunate there are only 8 men to compete now due to the last minute WD. We used to have 12 skaters before, right? Any other skaters would have been excited to accept the invitation from Skate America if only time and/or visa issues would allow them to do so, I would amagine, especially in this important Oly season...

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028019.htm Seems like US-vs-JPN match, so to speak.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Tatjana Flade ‏@Tatjana21
    Ten (KAZ) out of #SA2013 due to illness, now officially confirmed. :-( Too bad. Get well soon, @Tenis_Den !
    7:59 AM - 16 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/Tatjana21/status/390492272858386432

Only my speculation:
    The explanation of illness strikes me as a possible bit of a silver lining.
    What I mean is that if the illness is debilitating but not serious, perhaps the recovery time will be shorter than for an injury. (I'm wondering about something like a lingering case of the flu, for example.)

In any case, best to Ten.

ETA, the ISU's official Skate America preview also cites illness:
    "2013 World silver medalist Denis Ten (KAZ) had to withdraw due to illness on October 16."

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Ten (KAZ) out of #SA2013 due to illness, now officially confirmed. :-( Too bad. Get well soon, @Tenis_Den !

Only my speculation:
    What I mean is that if the illness is debilitating but not serious, perhaps the recovery time will be shorter than for an injury. (I'm wondering about something like a lingering case of the flu, for example.)

Feel better Denis!

There's definitely something nasty going around. I been dealing with a cold of sorts. Luckily I got my flu shot so I think it could have been worse.

Everyone, get your flu shot!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Absolutely! Flu shots are a necessity. Also, pneumonia shots are a good idea, too. And yes adults do need a DPTwhatever booster shot

Not to mention the ones I should have gotten & haven't, shingles.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 10-16-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

Only my speculation:

ETA, the ISU's official Skate America preview also cites illness:
    "2013 World silver medalist Denis Ten (KAZ) had to withdraw due to illness on October 16."
    Maybe Denis got the flu the French fed said Brian has, but he hasn't?

General note (not directed at you golden411 ) - I don't think the French fed deserves any conspiracy theories as their handling of the situation has been so shoddy and incompetent. If you are going to say that someone has the flu, it would be a good idea to tell the person presumably suffering from it. And what's the point of a sanction, if no one finds out about it? Isn't a reason for those to create a precedent and warn others that the same can happen to them? No, they simply lack the required competence to merit something so delicious as a suspicion of a conspiracy.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Maybe Denis got the flu the French fed said Brian has, but he hasn't?

General note (not directed at you golden411 ) - I don't think the French fed deserves any conspiracy theories as their handling of the situation has been so shoddy and incompetent. If you are going to say that someone has the flu, it would be a good idea to tell the person presumably suffering from it. And what's the point of a sanction, if no one finds out about it? Isn't a reason for those to create a precedent and warn others that the same can happen to them? No, they simply lack the required competence to merit something so delicious as a suspicion of a conspiracy.
    No worries, LRK. Your post has opened my eyes and made me realize that I must be out of the loop on some of the Joubert news.
    I had been aware only of l'Equipe's report that the French fed made Joubert withdraw from Skate America b/c he missed French Masters.
    Did the FFSG give the flu as the ostensible reason for Joubert's withdrawal? I just looked up the English version of yesterday's FFSG press release and I see that it mentions "viral reasons," but in a sort of cryptic (or at least indirect) way.
    (Sorry that I do not know French, and cannot read the original French version. Even after reading your post about some kind of connection btwn the flu and Joubert, my first split-second thought at seeing the wording of the English press release was that "viral" was a reference to rampant rumors spread by social media, as in "going viral.")

Anyway ... in hindsight, I can see that my use of the flu as a hypothetical cause of Ten's withdrawal must have seemed really dumb and inappropriate.
    If I had known that the flu had come up as an explanation for Joubert's withdrawal, I would have mentioned another illness instead.
    The strange thing is that when writing my earlier post about Ten, I almost used "ear infection" as the hypothetical illness. Should have stuck with that. (I think ear infections tend to be bacterial, not viral?? And they can cause problems with balance.)

Custom Title
    Oh, no, golden411! Not at all - I didn't think you meant anything inappropriate, I thought you meant it in all sincerity - the flu seems a good guess this time of year especially! It just gave me the idea/opportunity to make a silly joke.

Note: I've been following the thread on FSU on the subject of Brian's withdrawal. It is indeed... eye opening. The good thing is that, it is all so ridiculous, that it's made me less angry.

ETA - Here's an article linked on that thread by Zemgirl:

http://poitou-charentes.france3.fr/2...ca-338817.html

ETA Excerpts - via Googletranslate:

"Brian Joubert and his coach, Veronique Guyon believe that this punishment is "late and very severe".
    Brian Joubert is back this Tuesday at Poitiers. We met "What is annoying is that there is no dialogue, no discussion" says the Frenchman, who says he tried in vain to reach the leaders of the Federation of Skating in During the last week because he was worried about not receiving his tickets and heard rumors about possible sanctions. "But I do not want to be in conflict with the federation. I accept the decisions," concludes Brian Joubert justifies his plan for Master's of Orleans, explaining that this competition even if it is only national is actually particularly scrutinized by international judges. "

And:

"The reactions on social networks were very numerous. This package appears to be the same penalty if the skating federation defends himself.
    Late afternoon, Didier Gailhaguet, president of the French Federation of Ice Sports, says the Federation has made ​​this decision because it believes Brian Joubert "is not ready" and "he is sick." "

Sad that Denis had to withdraw. Mrs. P is right there is a nasty virus out there making its rounds
    and its very contagious.

Get well soon Denis!

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028019.htm Seems like US-vs-JPN match, so to speak.
    GO Artur and Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Very unfortunate there are only 8 men to compete now due to the last minute WD. We used to have 12 skaters before, right?
    Exactly, almost forgot about the "old times".... sad...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    GO Artur and Alexander
    I do have a soft spot for Alexander actually. I love and admire how much he has improved both of his skating and performance skills ever since he moved up to the senior. So, I would not mind at all if either or both! of them to steal a podium finish from these favorites in Detroit!
    Go Artur & Alexander! You can do it and prove me wrong, please!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4