Preliminary Entries 2013 Skate America | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Preliminary Entries 2013 Skate America

Victura

On the Ice
About Joubert, any conspiracy theorists out there? What if Brian found himself unready for Skate America and needed a way to back out without backing out. So Gailhaguet steps in and "sanctions" him for skipping an event that he didn't even know he was supposed to do, deflecting criticism off Joubert.

Would Gailhaguet be so sneaky? :laugh:

You know, this thought had occurred to me, especially because Joubert hasn't been an early season skater in the past and has had an unstable training situation recently, so it's quite likely that if he did go to Skate America, he wouldn't have given particularly great performances. On the other hand, this doesn't exactly help Joubert either because it kind of sends the signal that the federation isn't really supporting him. So...I don't know. Given what I've heard about Gailhaguet and his behind the scenes machinations with coach switching and everything (making P/B switch coaches, forcing other skaters out of the Zazoui group), this sounds like it's right up his alley. Still, it seems like a particularly severe punishment, especially when other skaters have withdrawn from Masters before without any kind of sanction.

So, did he beat Florent because he was that good - or was Florent that bad? Just curious.

I didn't see Chafik's performance, but saw Florent's and am inclined to believe the latter, unfortunately.

This is something else that doesn't make a lot of sense regarding FFSG not supporting Brian. I get that this is his last season and they're putting their support behind someone younger like Florent, but quite frankly, Florent hasn't exactly been giving sterling performances (and I generally like the guy, even if his skating style is not really my cup of tea). As far as Worlds results go, Brian has always beaten Florent. For someone who's been the biggest star of French skating for a long time (and probably will be for some time to come), it doesn't make sense to me that FFSG would throw him under the bus.

phaeljones

On the Ice
About Joubert, any conspiracy theorists out there? What if Brian found himself unready for Skate America and needed a way to back out without backing out. So Gailhaguet steps in and "sanctions" him for skipping an event that he didn't even know he was supposed to do, deflecting criticism off Joubert.

Would Gailhaguet be so sneaky? :laugh:

This post makes me smile (in a good way). Wonderfully mischievous.

Although I really loved watching Joubert skate last year, he seemed to skate several of last year's events "unready" and it did not seem to bother him. As an example, coming off an illness, with scant training time, into the French Grand Prix, there was basically no hope of his being able to skate well at it. But he went there, and he skated his best given the circumstances, and he made no apologies. None required IMO. I think that this is one skater who has reached a point in his life who loves to skate in front of an audience pretty well no matter what. I don't think Joubert would do something like that (even where it might be undeniably prudent). Not in his DNA.

deedee1

Record Breaker
So sorry to hear about Denis withdrawing. Hope it's not a serious injury...

Very unfortunate there are only 8 men to compete now due to the last minute WD. We used to have 12 skaters before, right? Any other skaters would have been excited to accept the invitation from Skate America if only time and/or visa issues would allow them to do so, I would amagine, especially in this important Oly season...

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028019.htm Seems like US-vs-JPN match, so to speak.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tatjana Flade ‏@Tatjana21
Ten (KAZ) out of #SA2013 due to illness, now officially confirmed. :-( Too bad. Get well soon, @Tenis_Den !
7:59 AM - 16 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/Tatjana21/status/390492272858386432

Only my speculation:
The explanation of illness strikes me as a possible bit of a silver lining.
What I mean is that if the illness is debilitating but not serious, perhaps the recovery time will be shorter than for an injury. (I'm wondering about something like a lingering case of the flu, for example.)

In any case, best to Ten.

ETA, the ISU's official Skate America preview also cites illness:
"2013 World silver medalist Denis Ten (KAZ) had to withdraw due to illness on October 16."​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ten (KAZ) out of #SA2013 due to illness, now officially confirmed. :-( Too bad. Get well soon, @Tenis_Den !

Only my speculation:
What I mean is that if the illness is debilitating but not serious, perhaps the recovery time will be shorter than for an injury. (I'm wondering about something like a lingering case of the flu, for example.)

Feel better Denis!

There's definitely something nasty going around. I been dealing with a cold of sorts. Luckily I got my flu shot so I think it could have been worse.

Everyone, get your flu shot!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Absolutely! Flu shots are a necessity. Also, pneumonia shots are a good idea, too. And yes adults do need a DPTwhatever booster shot

Not to mention the ones I should have gotten & haven't, shingles.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker

Only my speculation:

ETA, the ISU's official Skate America preview also cites illness:
"2013 World silver medalist Denis Ten (KAZ) had to withdraw due to illness on October 16."​

Maybe Denis got the flu the French fed said Brian has, but he hasn't?

General note (not directed at you golden411 :) ) - I don't think the French fed deserves any conspiracy theories as their handling of the situation has been so shoddy and incompetent. ;) If you are going to say that someone has the flu, it would be a good idea to tell the person presumably suffering from it. And what's the point of a sanction, if no one finds out about it? Isn't a reason for those to create a precedent and warn others that the same can happen to them? No, they simply lack the required competence to merit something so delicious as a suspicion of a conspiracy. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe Denis got the flu the French fed said Brian has, but he hasn't?

General note (not directed at you golden411 :) ) - I don't think the French fed deserves any conspiracy theories as their handling of the situation has been so shoddy and incompetent. ;) If you are going to say that someone has the flu, it would be a good idea to tell the person presumably suffering from it. And what's the point of a sanction, if no one finds out about it? Isn't a reason for those to create a precedent and warn others that the same can happen to them? No, they simply lack the required competence to merit something so delicious as a suspicion of a conspiracy. ;)

No worries, LRK. Your post has opened my eyes and made me realize that I must be out of the loop on some of the Joubert news.
I had been aware only of l'Equipe's report that the French fed made Joubert withdraw from Skate America b/c he missed French Masters.
Did the FFSG give the flu as the ostensible reason for Joubert's withdrawal? I just looked up the English version of yesterday's FFSG press release and I see that it mentions "viral reasons," but in a sort of cryptic (or at least indirect) way.
(Sorry that I do not know French, and cannot read the original French version. Even after reading your post about some kind of connection btwn the flu and Joubert, my first split-second thought at seeing the wording of the English press release was that "viral" was a reference to rampant rumors spread by social media, as in "going viral.")

Anyway ... in hindsight, I can see that my use of the flu as a hypothetical cause of Ten's withdrawal must have seemed really dumb and inappropriate.
If I had known that the flu had come up as an explanation for Joubert's withdrawal, I would have mentioned another illness instead.
The strange thing is that when writing my earlier post about Ten, I almost used "ear infection" as the hypothetical illness. Should have stuck with that. (I think ear infections tend to be bacterial, not viral?? And they can cause problems with balance.)

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, no, golden411! Not at all - I didn't think you meant anything inappropriate, I thought you meant it in all sincerity - the flu seems a good guess this time of year especially! It just gave me the idea/opportunity to make a silly joke. ;)

Note: I've been following the thread on FSU on the subject of Brian's withdrawal. It is indeed... eye opening. The good thing is that, it is all so ridiculous, that it's made me less angry.

ETA - Here's an article linked on that thread by Zemgirl:

http://poitou-charentes.france3.fr/...ion-il-n-ira-pas-au-skate-america-338817.html

ETA Excerpts - via Googletranslate:

"Brian Joubert and his coach, Veronique Guyon believe that this punishment is "late and very severe".
Brian Joubert is back this Tuesday at Poitiers. We met "What is annoying is that there is no dialogue, no discussion" says the Frenchman, who says he tried in vain to reach the leaders of the Federation of Skating in During the last week because he was worried about not receiving his tickets and heard rumors about possible sanctions. "But I do not want to be in conflict with the federation. I accept the decisions," concludes Brian Joubert justifies his plan for Master's of Orleans, explaining that this competition even if it is only national is actually particularly scrutinized by international judges. "

And:

"The reactions on social networks were very numerous. This package appears to be the same penalty if the skating federation defends himself.
Late afternoon, Didier Gailhaguet, president of the French Federation of Ice Sports, says the Federation has made ​​this decision because it believes Brian Joubert "is not ready" and "he is sick." "

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sad that Denis had to withdraw. Mrs. P is right there is a nasty virus out there making its rounds
and its very contagious.

Get well soon Denis!

deedee1

Record Breaker
GO Artur and Alexander :)

:laugh: I do have a soft spot for Alexander actually. I love and admire how much he has improved both of his skating and performance skills ever since he moved up to the senior. :) So, I would not mind at all if either or both! of them to steal a podium finish from these favorites in Detroit! ;)
Go Artur & Alexander! You can do it and prove me wrong, please! :yay: