Preliminary Entries Cup of China 2013 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Preliminary Entries Cup of China 2013

Nena

Rinkside
Misha Ge lives in China and could easily have been a replacement but it's too late now :(

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Agreed. The situations with these last minute GP withdrawals is starting to get ridiculous. There's no way that a skater with boot trouble, lack of training, etc. would not be able to look at their situation 3 weeks ago and know that they wouldn't be in shape. It is quite detrimental to the events that end up with less than a full field. The ISU should either start assessing penalties or put into place a backup/alternate system, or both.

I agree with this. The thing is you can't even really fault the skaters all that much, as there is absolutely no incentive for them to withdraw early. What if something changes and they end up being able to attend? What if the replacement skater takes this opportunity to push ahead? I also don't think its realistic to ask elite international skaters to standby on the off chance that there is a last minute withdrawal - there just needs to be consequences. A fine, a loss in ranking points or some other type of penalty for postponing withdrawals is needed. Obviously, this wouldn't apply for injuries happening too close to the start of the competition, but that is just a matter of reviewing cases and creating thresholds.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Misha Ge lives in China and could easily have been a replacement but it's too late now :(
Shame, Misha is such an entertainer, and even if he often doesn't look like a medal contender, he adds spice to any competition.

The Chinese fed could still have invited him. He lives in Beijing where the event is being held so it wouldn't have cost them anything. :(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I agree with this. The thing is you can't even really fault the skaters all that much, as there is absolutely no incentive for them to withdraw early. What if something changes and they end up being able to attend? What if the replacement skater takes this opportunity to push ahead? I also don't think its realistic to ask elite international skaters to standby on the off chance that there is a last minute withdrawal - there just needs to be consequences. A fine, a loss in ranking points or some other type of penalty for postponing withdrawals is needed. Obviously, this wouldn't apply for injuries happening too close to the start of the competition, but that is just a matter of reviewing cases and creating thresholds.

Yes, the current system encourages having competitions with far too few skaters competing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
COC is pretty weak for competitors. Not sure why. As for Ge doesn't China already have 3 competitors - the max. This "ain't " the Chinese Nationals. As for Reynolds this does not bold well for his Olympics. I still think the drive to compete and win often leads to people leaving things to last minute hoping for the miracle. We see it all the time or suspect it - Cohen, Weir, Evan, Czisny, maybe Pang and Tong. Suguri, maybe Abbott too.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes, the current system encourages having competitions with far too few skaters competing.

Also agree. Some penalty should be put in place for people who fail to withdraw barring a last minute injury the date of which can be documented (should be easy enough for a skater to do).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Chinese fed could still have invited him. He lives in Beijing where the event is being held so it wouldn't have cost them anything. :(

They still have to pay expenses for the skater. The ISU requires all competitors to stay at the event hotel even if they live in the area, it seems. I remember seeing a video from the Shibtuanis about carrying their luggage into the hotel and Davis and White mentioned in an article that the competition experience was the same at home since they have to stay at the hotel.

That said, that and a few meals would cost them maybe $1k at most, so I agree that he could have been invited.

gottadance

On the Ice
one also wonders where Skate Canada were in all this - since Reynolds pulled out of the Japan Open just a month ago they had to know there were issues with him - shouldnt they have been monitoring the situation especially when Rogozine and Balldje were the official replacements apparently?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rogozine and Balde were AMONG the possible replacements, along with Misha Ge, Menshov and Voronov. Ge currently lives in China but has problems getting validated for competitions because although he has Russian and Chinese passports, he skates for Uzbekistan.

If Reynolds hadn't waited so long to withdraw, China might have selected Rogozine or Balde to replace Reynolds, because either one would have offered far less competition to the Chinese men than Ge, Menshov or Voronov. And maybe that's exactly why Kevin DID wait so long.

They still have to pay expenses for the skater. The ISU requires all competitors to stay at the event hotel even if they live in the area, it seems. I remember seeing a video from the Shibtuanis about carrying their luggage into the hotel and Davis and White mentioned in an article that the competition experience was the same at home since they have to stay at the hotel.

That said, that and a few meals would cost them maybe $1k at most, so I agree that he could have been invited.

They already had the hotel booked for Reynolds. There wouldn't be any extra cost.

Misha Ge tweeted some pictures of the rink. Apparently the competition is held at the same rink that he trains at. It's just so horrible that he didn't get an invite. :(

Becki

Medalist
Sad that Kevin has withdrawn.....but I am pretty sure if he wanted to, he could've competed :slink: I guess this was an attempt to protect his "reputation".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The ISU requires all competitors to stay at the event hotel even if they live in the area, it seems. I remember seeing a video from the Shibtuanis about carrying their luggage into the hotel and Davis and White mentioned in an article that the competition experience was the same at home since they have to stay at the hotel.

Off topic, but am curious:

Did Davis/White say that they "have to stay" at the hotel? Or in contrast, merely that they "were staying" at the hotel?
I assume that you're referring to Skate America in Detroit ... and I did not get around to reading much about Davis/White or the Shibutanis at that time, so I truly have no idea what exactly they said about the hotel.

The point of my questions:
Virtue/Moir have stayed at the official hotel for at least two competitions where the venues were literally in their backyards: Skate Canada International 2012 in Windsor; and 2013 Worlds in London.
From V/M's comments pertaining to those competitions, I got the impression that it absolutely was their own choice to stay in the hotel -- and that they preferred to do so because they wanted to retain the feeling of a normal competition as much as possible, including the routine of staying in the hotel. It never crossed my mind that possibly the ISU required them to stay at the hotel, although maybe silly me failed to put two and two together.
Along the same lines: V/M's conditioning coach in London usually sends them off to competitions with a workout plan that they execute on the road without her. In the case of 2013 Worlds, I believe I read that she made her facility available to them for their "traveling" workout, but purposely stayed away from the premises when they were there.
Especially in the case of 2013 Worlds, it was important for V/M to stay focused on the competition as much as possible -- and to minimize the distractions (including the pleasant distractions) of being at home.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe D&W said they were required to stay at the hotel (whether by USFS or by the ISU, I'm not sure), but that if they had been given a choice, they would stay there anyway, to keep the competition regime the same between events. At least that is how I remember it.