Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Preliminary Entries Cup of China 2013

Custom Title
    Rogozine and Balde were AMONG the possible replacements, along with Misha Ge, Menshov and Voronov. Ge currently lives in China but has problems getting validated for competitions because although he has Russian and Chinese passports, he skates for Uzbekistan.

If Reynolds hadn't waited so long to withdraw, China might have selected Rogozine or Balde to replace Reynolds, because either one would have offered far less competition to the Chinese men than Ge, Menshov or Voronov. And maybe that's exactly why Kevin DID wait so long.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    They still have to pay expenses for the skater. The ISU requires all competitors to stay at the event hotel even if they live in the area, it seems. I remember seeing a video from the Shibtuanis about carrying their luggage into the hotel and Davis and White mentioned in an article that the competition experience was the same at home since they have to stay at the hotel.

That said, that and a few meals would cost them maybe $1k at most, so I agree that he could have been invited.
    They already had the hotel booked for Reynolds. There wouldn't be any extra cost.

Custom Title
    Does anyone have any practice reports?
    I'm dying to know what's going on.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Misha Ge tweeted some pictures of the rink. Apparently the competition is held at the same rink that he trains at. It's just so horrible that he didn't get an invite. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Misha Ge tweeted some pictures of the rink. Apparently the competition is held at the same rink that he trains at. It's just so horrible that he didn't get an invite. :(
    Ugh, that really sucks. Poor Misha :(

Custom Title
    Sad that Kevin has withdrawn.....but I am pretty sure if he wanted to, he could've competed I guess this was an attempt to protect his "reputation".

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    ... The ISU requires all competitors to stay at the event hotel even if they live in the area, it seems. I remember seeing a video from the Shibtuanis about carrying their luggage into the hotel and Davis and White mentioned in an article that the competition experience was the same at home since they have to stay at the hotel.
    Off topic, but am curious:

Did Davis/White say that they "have to stay" at the hotel? Or in contrast, merely that they "were staying" at the hotel?
    I assume that you're referring to Skate America in Detroit ... and I did not get around to reading much about Davis/White or the Shibutanis at that time, so I truly have no idea what exactly they said about the hotel.

The point of my questions:
    Virtue/Moir have stayed at the official hotel for at least two competitions where the venues were literally in their backyards: Skate Canada International 2012 in Windsor; and 2013 Worlds in London.
    From V/M's comments pertaining to those competitions, I got the impression that it absolutely was their own choice to stay in the hotel -- and that they preferred to do so because they wanted to retain the feeling of a normal competition as much as possible, including the routine of staying in the hotel. It never crossed my mind that possibly the ISU required them to stay at the hotel, although maybe silly me failed to put two and two together.
    Along the same lines: V/M's conditioning coach in London usually sends them off to competitions with a workout plan that they execute on the road without her. In the case of 2013 Worlds, I believe I read that she made her facility available to them for their "traveling" workout, but purposely stayed away from the premises when they were there.
    Especially in the case of 2013 Worlds, it was important for V/M to stay focused on the competition as much as possible -- and to minimize the distractions (including the pleasant distractions) of being at home.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I believe D&W said they were required to stay at the hotel (whether by USFS or by the ISU, I'm not sure), but that if they had been given a choice, they would stay there anyway, to keep the competition regime the same between events. At least that is how I remember it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3