Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adam Rippon praises Yuna in interview

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    You know who Adam also talked about in his interview? Himself.

The parts about the Rippon Lutz and music selection had me giggling.
    Yes, I think, the interview is very interesting and he is cute.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Exactly. Plushy is a potential employer, and has employed American skaters in the past. I expect American skaters to say nothing but good things about him!
    I don't think this is the case. I mean, sure, they are potential employers, but I don't think that precludes honest admiration. Sounds like the same argument that says that skaters can never be real friends because they are also competitors.

I love Adam. He's refreshing to listen to, because he manages to be both candid and tactful about his career and some of the less glam parts of being a high level skater. Ugh, that feeling of being a fraud if you don't do as well as you have in the past is something I can definitely relate to, albeit in academics.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Did any cynics point their fingers at Gracie Gold when she professed admiration for Kim?
    If not, why no skepticism in that case? [To play devil's advocate: was/is Gold hoping esp. to follow in Ashley Wagner's footsteps as an All That Skate cast member? Just sayin'.But I myself agree with Mathman. Would prefer to presume the "innocence" of all skaters who praise others.
    ]

Well, I don't remember saying it, but I suspect Gracie would love to be an All that Skate cast member, don't you?

I don't think skaters are any more innocent than any other group of people their ages.

I haven't listened to the interview yet, BTW, and may or may not.

I didn't plan an argument, but I do think that people often know which side their bread is buttered on, not just skaters. But I think, from personal experience, that being friends with your employer can be trickier than being friends with your competitor.

Custom Title
    Heh... people are much too cynical. I can think of 101 better ways to flatter potential employees than doing some random interviews with cynical bloggers who encourage candidness and gossips (well appreciated).

Nahh.. Adam is alright. I doubt he was doing very much thinking when he said what he said. He hasn't been invited to a Yuna show in absolutely ages, and I highly doubt comment like he don't ever recall she doing clean run throughs are 'flattering ways' to invite himself back again to her show. If he really want to be invited again one day, it is likely to be because he is doing great work again and because ATS want to invite him. Not because of any comments he had particularly made publicly. He could have continued to keep in touch with her privately but seems haven't.

Javier has one of the most fun and entertaining exhibition this year, that was why he was invited.

I also don't consider anyone have ever flattered their way to the show. Take Joannie for instance. She didn't exactly make flattering comment on Yuna's Les Mis and said she felt Yuna held back a little back emotionally (right or wrong it is her right to state her opinion), yet she was still featured on her show, seems really enjoyed it and did a marvelous job

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Well, I don't remember saying it, but I suspect Gracie would love to be an All that Skate cast member, don't you?

I don't think skaters are any more innocent than any other group of people their ages.

I haven't listened to the interview yet, BTW, and may or may not.

I didn't plan an argument, but I do think that people often know which side their bread is buttered on, not just skaters. But I think, from personal experience, that being friends with your employer can be trickier than being friends with your competitor.
    Agree that Gold would dearly love to be chosen for ATS. But I don't think that sharing her desire for a photo with Kim was a premeditated attempt to s_ck up to her. (I am not a member of the Gold fan club, but I give her the benefit of the doubt in this instance.)

BTW, in my previous post, I was referring to the American legal principle of presumed innocence unless/until guilt is proven beyond reasonable doubt. Not to "innocence" in the sense of youthful naivete.

Coming up with a possible ulterior motive for just about anything that anyone (not just skaters) says does not seem that difficult. That doesn't mean that such speculation is necessarily justified ... at least IMHO. (Extreme example: I would hate to think that all the skaters who expressed sympathy and support after Asada lost her mother really just wanted to earn brownie points before the next cast of The Ice was selected.)

Full disclosure: I have not watched the Rippon interview either. Am reacting only to what I have read in this thread.

ETA:
    For anyone interested in the inner workings of The Skating Lesson, last night (Jul 4) they posted a long and informative response on FSU to various comments they have seen there:

Well, to those who haven't listened to it, I'll just say that it is well worth listening to. I'm not an Adam fan - meaning, I like him, and he is pleasant to watch, but he isn't particularly a favourite of mine. Yet I found the interview very interesting and enlightening. So often we sit around guessing what might be in a skater's mind at any given point, we don't really know. I really enjoyed the interview, and rec it to others interested in skating, as well.

By the way, maybe it would be an idea to change the thread title to something general about Adam's interview instead? After all, it's over one hour long, and most of it is given over to other things than his praise of YuNa (or Plushy ). Oh, apropos YuNa, I thought it was really interesting to hear his take on how it was to train there when she and Orser split so publicly.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Well, to those who haven't listened to it, I'll just say that it is well worth listening to. I'm not an Adam fan - meaning, I like him, and he is pleasant to watch, but he isn't particularly a favourite of mine. Yet I found the interview very interesting and enlightening. So often we sit around guessing what might be in a skater's mind at any given point, we don't really know. I really enjoyed the interview, and rec it to others interested in skating, as well.

By the way, maybe it would be an idea to change the thread title to something general about Adam's interview instead? After all, it's over one hour long, and most of it is given over to other things than his praise of YuNa (or Plushy ). Oh, apropos YuNa, I thought it was really interesting to hear his take on how it was to train there when she and Orser split so publicly.

Yes you are right! There are 2 videos on YouTube the Yuna piece was excerpted into its own 6 minute clip. I started the thread because I found it interesting what he had to say about Yuna and her preparation going into the Olympics. But the hour long interview is very enlightening and revealing about how injury or outside factors play on a mindset. I agree LRK instead of guessing or making assumptions I liked hearing it in his own words and seeing his body language. I found his honesty to be refreshing and before the cynics appear to say that there is no honesty in this self-promoting sport, I say, watch it before you dismiss its contribution. It is well worth it. TSL is doing a great job of interviewing the skaters and making them feel comfortable and I think the friendliness of the environment relaxes them and they say more than they might have said in a different styled interview.
    Full interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiAflwj7BAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2