Adam Rippon praises Yuna in interview | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon praises Yuna in interview

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I guess I'm a cynic. Plushy & Yu Na have the 2 of the biggest ice shows. I don't find skaters all that interesting when they are flattering potential employers, particularly when they come from the US, where there really are few employment opportunities for skaters.

Which doesn't mean that Yu Na didn't have a really great mindset for the 2010 Olympics, she did, absolutely.

ciocio

On the Ice
Adam says that Plushenko started to land 3A at 15. yo but in fact he was landing 3A at 13 years old and quads at 15 yo.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I guess I'm a cynic. Plushy & Yu Na have the 2 of the biggest ice shows. I don't find skaters all that interesting when they are flattering potential employers, particularly when they come from the US, where there really are few employment opportunities for skaters.

Which doesn't mean that Yu Na didn't have a really great mindset for the 2010 Olympics, she did, absolutely.

I don't think you are a cynic, but you are wrong. Plushy invited Johnny, Stef, Tomas and recently Ilia Kulik and Brian into his shows. And you don't forget Artur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8f8yvsQK8o
2011 Champs Camp: Fun with Adam Rippon listen to him :)

from1'02"

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Exactly. Plushy is a potential employer, and has employed American skaters in the past. I expect American skaters to say nothing but good things about him!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Exactly. Plushy is a potential employer, and has employed American skaters in the past. I expect American skaters to say nothing but good things about him!

ha-ha..they were simply envious. :biggrin:;)

Before Vanc Evan praised Plushy, but and after Vanc he said bad things about him, when everybody calmed down he psaised him again, not once. He said Plushy is the best skater...

I don't know. Between them Kim and Plushenko have 5 world championships and two Olympic gold medals. I don't think we need to read anything in particular into comments that these are a couple of admirable skaters.

babayaga

On the Ice
I agree with dorispulaski though. When Armin was making piano videos dedicated to Mao people were suspecting that he was just trying to get to the Japanese market. I remember that idea felt quite reasonable, and this situation is very similar now. Smart move from Adam to try to get to Korean and Russian markets, hope he'll succeed :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't know... if Adam had meant to weasel his way into Plushy's good graces, wouldn't he have expressed himself slightly differently? ;)

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview - very thoughtful, and it's really interesting to see what may be going on in a skater's mind at various points in his life/career.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't know... if Adam had meant to weasel his way into Plushy's good graces, wouldn't he have expressed himself slightly differently? ;)

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the interview - very thoughtful, and it's really interesting to see what may be going on in a skater's mind at various points in his life/career.

Yes, I also think so. And I have a feeling that he really does not understand himself, and apologizes ... :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I guess I'm a cynic. Plushy & Yu Na have the 2 of the biggest ice shows. I don't find skaters all that interesting when they are flattering potential employers, particularly when they come from the US, where there really are few employment opportunities for skaters. ...

Did any cynics point their fingers at Gracie Gold when she professed admiration for Kim? :confused2:
If not, why no skepticism in that case? [To play devil's advocate: was/is Gold hoping esp. to follow in Ashley Wagner's footsteps as an All That Skate cast member? Just sayin'.]

I don't know. Between them Kim and Plushenko have 5 world championships and two Olympic gold medals. I don't think we need to read anything in particular into comments that these are a couple of admirable skaters.

But I myself agree with Mathman. Would prefer to presume the "innocence" of all skaters who praise others.

LRK

Record Breaker
Yes, I also think so. And I have a feeling that he really does not understand himself, and apologizes ... :biggrin:

Oh, I just think that it's rather funny that, after being so... blunt, the poor boy should be accused of sycophancy :) - suffice to say that if that was the intent, he has a long way to go. ;) Anyway, the way he expressed himself left no doubt in my mind of the sincerity of his admiration. :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
You know who Adam also talked about in his interview? Himself.

The parts about the Rippon Lutz and music selection had me giggling. :)

Antiloquy

Rinkside

I don't think this is the case. I mean, sure, they are potential employers, but I don't think that precludes honest admiration. Sounds like the same argument that says that skaters can never be real friends because they are also competitors.

I love Adam. He's refreshing to listen to, because he manages to be both candid and tactful about his career and some of the less glam parts of being a high level skater. Ugh, that feeling of being a fraud if you don't do as well as you have in the past is something I can definitely relate to, albeit in academics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Did any cynics point their fingers at Gracie Gold when she professed admiration for Kim? :confused2:
If not, why no skepticism in that case? [To play devil's advocate: was/is Gold hoping esp. to follow in Ashley Wagner's footsteps as an All That Skate cast member? Just sayin'.But I myself agree with Mathman. Would prefer to presume the "innocence" of all skaters who praise others.
]

Well, I don't remember saying it, but I suspect Gracie would love to be an All that Skate cast member, don't you?

I don't think skaters are any more innocent than any other group of people their ages.

I haven't listened to the interview yet, BTW, and may or may not.

I didn't plan an argument, but I do think that people often know which side their bread is buttered on, not just skaters. But I think, from personal experience, that being friends with your employer can be trickier than being friends with your competitor.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Heh... people are much too cynical. I can think of 101 better ways to flatter potential employees than doing some random interviews with cynical bloggers who encourage candidness and gossips (well appreciated).

Nahh.. Adam is alright. I doubt he was doing very much thinking when he said what he said. He hasn't been invited to a Yuna show in absolutely ages, and I highly doubt comment like he don't ever recall she doing clean run throughs are 'flattering ways' to invite himself back again to her show. If he really want to be invited again one day, it is likely to be because he is doing great work again and because ATS want to invite him. Not because of any comments he had particularly made publicly. He could have continued to keep in touch with her privately but seems haven't.

Javier has one of the most fun and entertaining exhibition this year, that was why he was invited.

I also don't consider anyone have ever flattered their way to the show. Take Joannie for instance. She didn't exactly make flattering comment on Yuna's Les Mis and said she felt Yuna held back a little back emotionally (right or wrong it is her right to state her opinion), yet she was still featured on her show, seems really enjoyed it and did a marvelous job :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, I don't remember saying it, but I suspect Gracie would love to be an All that Skate cast member, don't you?

I don't think skaters are any more innocent than any other group of people their ages.

I haven't listened to the interview yet, BTW, and may or may not.

I didn't plan an argument, but I do think that people often know which side their bread is buttered on, not just skaters. But I think, from personal experience, that being friends with your employer can be trickier than being friends with your competitor.

Agree that Gold would dearly love to be chosen for ATS. But I don't think that sharing her desire for a photo with Kim was a premeditated attempt to s_ck up to her. (I am not a member of the Gold fan club, but I give her the benefit of the doubt in this instance.)

BTW, in my previous post, I was referring to the American legal principle of presumed innocence unless/until guilt is proven beyond reasonable doubt. Not to "innocence" in the sense of youthful naivete.

Coming up with a possible ulterior motive for just about anything that anyone (not just skaters) says does not seem that difficult. That doesn't mean that such speculation is necessarily justified ... at least IMHO. (Extreme example: I would hate to think that all the skaters who expressed sympathy and support after Asada lost her mother really just wanted to earn brownie points before the next cast of The Ice was selected.)

Full disclosure: I have not watched the Rippon interview either. Am reacting only to what I have read in this thread.

ETA:
For anyone interested in the inner workings of The Skating Lesson, last night (Jul 4) they posted a long and informative response on FSU to various comments they have seen there: