Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Giada Russo

7 Not allowed!

Giada Russo

Giada Russo is a two-time Italian national champion who just finished in 14th place at the Euros in Bratislava thus improving her result of last year (28th ).
    Giada’s LP to the Red Violin soundtrack is a masterpiece and I dare say is the most artistic program of this season in ladies.
    Her long program in Bratislava was a pure art which even a few jump mistakes could not spoil, the art only the Italians can create – so beautiful it makes you cry. As the BES guys said one thing is to choreograph a program like that but to come out and perform it in competition is quite another. I will later post a transcript of their commentary but enough to say at the moment that Chris & Nick were in awe of both the program and the skater.

I hope our Italian members will help with more info as very little is available in English.

ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011694.htm

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giada_Russo

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/r_giadina/?hl=en

Euro 2016 SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuXX2HtZssk

Euro 2016 LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A1FQNa0pcI

Giada Russo says her name here at 0:16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h4W0QoqeI0
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-06-2016 at 01:52 AM.

3 Not allowed!
    yes, Giada thread!!! i am a fan after seeing that awesome LP of hers and the way she moves/performs it, i was impressed with her performance at SP but her LP is amazing and so thrilling, i hope she will improve her jump consistency and add more difficult jumps cause it would be a shame if she misses chances to compete because of her low tech

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for starting her thread! Don't know how many times I watched her Red Violin programme after the Euros. I marveled at the quiet, still intensity she brings on to the ice... we could hear a pin drop during that performance. Superb.
    I too hope she will improve her tech content, but I sense she probably wouldn't like to sacrifice those beautiful transitions in order to try out more difficult jumps. It might take her a while to up the technical side but I'm ready to wait
    Last edited by Perdita; 02-05-2016 at 10:07 AM.

3 Not allowed!
    ^
    Ahh glad to see familiar faces ie avatars! We seem to have similar tastes

Hic Rhodus, hic salta

5 Not allowed!
    An interview with Giada just before nationals (in Italian): http://www.notizienazionali.net/noti...el-pattinaggio

A bit of trivia:
    Her parents met skating in public sessions. They took Giada skating for the first time at age 3 and a half.
    Giada was a sweeper at Torino Olympics - that's already 10 years ago!
    Last edited by bartlebooth; 02-05-2016 at 09:47 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    An interview with Giada just before nationals (in Italian): http://www.notizienazionali.net/noti...el-pattinaggio

A bit of trivia:
    Her parents met attending figure skating competitions. They took Giada skating for the first time at age 3 and a half.
    Giada was a sweeper at Torino Olympics - that's already 10 years ago!
    Thank for the link! Google translation isn't great, Giada might push me to give my very basic Italian another go...
    So looks like Giada had no choice but become a skater. And a flower girl at Torino where my all time favourite Sasha won silver- how sweet!

Am I mad or Giada looks a lot like Teresa Stratas who played Violetta in Franco Zeffirelli's La Traviata?

Hic Rhodus, hic salta

5 Not allowed!
    Maybe I'll try to translate it later. Meanwhile, here's an interview in which you can hear Giada and her Torinese accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyCb3bKCOM
    Translation:

Hi, I'm Giada Russo, I'm 18 years old, I've been skating since I was 3 and a half, I attend the final year of high school at a night school, and I love skating!
    My parents met while skating at public sessions, then they started dating and, in the end, here I am! They took me skating for the first time because they wanted me to be able to skate with them on Sundays, in public sessions. Then I developed a passion for it and my mother gradually increased my lessons throughout the years, and now I train 3-4 hours a day – dance, gym and skating.

TRAINING
    It requires a lot of dedication and sacrifices, you have to be well trained, it takes many hours of work on and off ice, many dance lessons in order to achieve a mature expression and grace in movements... it takes a lot of passion.

COMPETITION
    I have a number of little lucky charms, but I won't tell you what they are. I try to stay as much relaxed and calm as possible, I enter the rink, take a deep breath and start skating: it's as if there's only me and the ice. Even more than for the audience and for judges, I skate first and foremost for myself, because I like it.

NATIONAL TITLES
    I won Junior Nationals, then last year I won the National Championship and it was a marvellous emotion, almost impossible to describe, it took me a few days to realize it fully.

INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIONS
    I started in 2010 at Gardena Spring Trophy, where I placed 4th, then I climbed on the podium. The most important experiences I had were at last year [2015] Euros and Worlds. At Worlds I made the cut to the FS, whereas at Euros I was overwhelmed by emotions and I didn't make it.

IDOLS
    I've always admired Carolina Kostner for her beauty, grace and elegance, and also for her attitude, and we've become friends. Plushenko, one of the greatest champion in Men's Singles, Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, Hanyu, who seems to have come from another planet, given his results in recent competitions, and he's so pleasant to look at. I like to see the passion and dedication they all put in it. To become like them, I'll have to work. I hope to get there, maybe, if I go on with all the dedication and passion I've had since I was a child.

0 Not allowed!
    ^ Thank you so much Bartlebooth! Great interview! I'll watch it later as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Great to see a fan thread for her! I greatly enjoy her skating!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8swan View Post
    Thanks! How cute she was!

It's just figure skating thoakun's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Great to see a thread for Giada. Her FS was truly mesmerizing and I'm not surprised to learn that she had trained in dance and gymnastics.

0 Not allowed!
    I've just realised that Italy has only one spot for Worlds - anyone knows who is to go - Giada is a national champion but Roberta showed better results internationally?

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    I really love her FS, and she's so unique. I hope she gets a good jump coach to clean up her jumping technique.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutto View Post
    I've just realised that Italy has only one spot for Worlds - anyone knows who is to go - Giada is a national champion but Roberta showed better results internationally?
    I dunno if this has been decided/made official yet but I'm pretty sure they ll send Rodeghiero...For the time being she stands better chance to qualify for the free/end higher up in the standings (if she skates well of course!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast