Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Btw, I'm sure his mother was watching and cringing - tuck in your shirt!

I'm quite sure that if his mother was crying out for him to tuck in his shirt, there'd be hundreds of boys and girls all around the world crying out for him to not! :laugh:

Oooh yes, he used to do that into his 2A. Charlotte, then lunge, then 2A. Not bad. And he had a Biellmann then too - a full one.

Yay, an excuse to watch baby Josh and baby Jason again! *settles in happily*

laire

Rinkside
Thank you for the Eurosport videos! I had a:yay: moment when they compared Josh to John Curry, Curry is the epitome of class, elegance and artisrty in men's skating for me.

Remember during Nationals it was said Josh was practicing with a head band thingy that's supposed to help with alignment (if I'm not mistaken)? He used it at 4CC again so for those who, like me, was curious, this is how it looks

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's really interesting. Someone in another place said it had been referred to as "blinders" and I wonder if that is the primary usage: to block Josh's view of everything else. I'm trying to figure out what purpose that serves; perhaps it sharpens his focus on what his body is doing? It wouldn't surprise me if he was liable to being collision-spooked; he was injured quite badly in that way at 15.

I'm really curious now!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A longer version of Josh's quotes post-FS had a couple of sentences that I don't recall reading elsewhere (emphasis added):

... The 20-year-old had a ‘rough and tumble’ early season.

“Coming from two sprained ankles in the span of a month, being off the ice for two months, and then having the skate I did at NHK was awful, the worst of my career. Coming back and getting 3rd at Nationals, and doing what I did here, I’ve matured a lot,” he said. ...

http://www.skatetoday.com/2015/02/15/ten-strikes-gold-in-seoul/

... Remember during Nationals it was said Josh was practicing with a head band thingy that's supposed to help with alignment (if I'm not mistaken)? He used it at 4CC again so for those who, like me, was curious, this is how it looks

That's really interesting. Someone in another place said it had been referred to as "blinders" and I wonder if that is the primary usage: to block Josh's view of everything else. I'm trying to figure out what purpose that serves; perhaps it sharpens his focus on what his body is doing? It wouldn't surprise me if he was liable to being collision-spooked; he was injured quite badly in that way at 15.

I'm really curious now!

"Red alignment headband" is what Jackie Wong had called Josh's thingy at Nats.

I could swear that someone (else?) in Greensboro had written a little more about it at the time, but now I can't remember where. :think:

ETA, I had read more right here on GS :), in the Nats practice reports thread, thanks to Mrs. P:

From Lynn Rutherford (twitter.com/lynnrutherford):

.... .@joshDfarris holding red band round back of head at practice, wrapping it round his face during doubles.Could be training exercise #NC2015 ...

About @joshDfarris exercise band: It's visualization exercise recommended by his physio Ken Cole of Seattle. Helps with alignment. #NC2015 ...

And in Greensboro, Jennifer Comeaux :bow: had shot a photo and mini-vid of Josh using the red band in practice. Similar to the Seoul video posted by laire (thank you).

BTW, Jennifer loves Josh, and her blog has tons of her photos of him, as well as a smaller number of videos.​

Thanks, Mrs. P. :)

Last edited:

unokid

Spectator
I just wanted to come out of lurking to discuss one of the things I absolutely love about Josh and his skating. When watching his programs, it doesn't ever feel like, "Oh this is the moment for emotion and now it's time for the technical," or vice versa. Sometimes when watching some of the other male skaters, it feels like they separate their programs into the technical and lyrical or "art" parts. With Josh, the entire piece is a whole story - the technical is part of the story. Every movement has purpose and meaning in the context of the program. And he may not have the "power" in his jumps that some of the other top guys have but he makes them look incredibly easy and his position in the air is perfection. I could just go on for days about this guy. Anyway, I really enjoy reading this thread and all of the information everyone on here takes the time to provide. :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ yes you are absolutely right, Josh's technique element are all choreoed to the music, including, landing of jumps, spin change positions (actually much more sophisticated than the 2 points I just point out, arguably the best current male skater in this aspect). Also, his choreo flows together as a whole piece. this is real choreo and interpretation, not just stuff a couple of steps as transitions.
Josh's LP at 4CC, the step sequence is absolutely amazing, but his choreo step sequence, the depth of emotion he showed in that, it really great!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At what point did he become a stone-cold fox? He wasn't at Nats 2014 (although he was cute) but now it's like :love:

Sometime last year, around about the time he was touring with SOI, I think. I remember seeing the pictures from SOI, and thinking that wow, he's matured a lot since Nationals. But I wonder how much of that is a physical alteration, and how much came with the additional self-confidence that performing on SOI - especially in that outgoing Walker number - gave him...

jwren

Rinkside
Last year at Nats, I just remember him looking particularly unwell and pale - nerves? I agree he's looked much more confident this year and it's translated onto the ice. Whatever he's doing differently, I hope he keeps it up!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
At what point did he become a stone-cold fox? He wasn't at Nats 2014 (although he was cute) but now it's like :love:

Stone-cold fox? I know what you mean, but as a non-native english speaker I was just like :unsure:...:eek::...:laugh:

I agree with karne though, he's definitely more mature physically, but since SOI he has a certain calm self-assurance about him that is very attractive and gives him like... that something special. That smile doesn't hurt though ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last year at Nats, I just remember him looking particularly unwell and pale - nerves? ...

Two weeks before 2014 Nats, Josh caught a bad strain of the flu that took him out of commission for a week. He returned to the ice only in time for one week of training before Boston.
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/66313784/v31296649 (2:14 post-SP interview on Jan 10, 2014)​

Sweet that in the same interview, Josh spoke about feeling really close to Jeremy, and being so proud of Jeremy for his SP in Boston.
And Josh talked about Schindler's List being his favorite program ever.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Joshua Farris FS from 4CC, aired today on NBC, in full 1080p60 HD.

Still takes my breath away.

HD Schindler's List is excellent.

But these battering fools not only commit the cardinal sin of TALKING DURING THE STSQ but then Johnny just has to go and commit the ultimate blasphemy by using Joshua to insult Jason during the stsq!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwren

Rinkside
HD Schindler's List is excellent.

But these battering fools not only commit the cardinal sin of TALKING DURING THE STSQ but then Johnny just has to go and commit the ultimate blasphemy by using Joshua to insult Jason during the stsq!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh yes that's twice now with Johnny. Does he have something against Jason? The subtle jabs are unnecessary. I'll enjoy both for what and who they are, thanks.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice words from both the NBC and CBC crews today. :yay: (I switched between the broadcasts).

OK. So who's got the CBC telecast up?

I really want to hear their thoughts. Who were the commentators?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ugh yes that's twice now with Johnny. Does he have something against Jason? The subtle jabs are unnecessary. I'll enjoy both for what and who they are, thanks.

I'll wager I know exactly what Johnny's "problem" with Jason and Max is - and I'll wager he has exactly the same problem with Josh, it's just that Josh is the flavour of the month so he's not going to say it just yet.

It's that he knows all three are far better and more talented than he ever was. And he resents it bitterly, that even if he had managed to make his "comeback", he would not have gone to Sochi, he would not have even been close, for a sickly Josh and an off-day Max are both better, and he would never have come close to Riverdance Jason and a clean and lovely Jeremy.