Joshua Farris | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
He would have to deliver, of course. Not just "plan" the quads. But the judges really went with him even though he has no international rep, came in as USA #3, and didn't have a quad in the SP (which does affect PCS). If he does well at 4CC, goes into Worlds with momentum, and delivers two clean programs... Of course, clean programs aren't easy, but at least he controls his own destiny--when he skates well, the judges reward him.

If he skates 2 clean programs, chances are very high he'll medal, IMO. There aren't too many men out there who' be capable of beating that - Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten, maybe Han or Mura, anyone else? - and I don't expect all of them to skate as well. I just hope he doesn't get the hype too soon and can skate at worlds half way pressure-free (which is already impossible, given that the 3 spots are on the line).

Warwick360

Medalist
If he skates 2 clean programs, chances are very high he'll medal, IMO. There aren't too many men out there who' be capable of beating that - Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten, maybe Han or Mura, anyone else? - and I don't expect all of them to skate as well. I just hope he doesn't get the hype too soon and can skate at worlds half way pressure-free (which is already impossible, given that the 3 spots are on the line).

I think he'll need a quad in Free to medal considering how many quad-ables there are in this competition. Or, the top four will have to really collapse if there is any chance of podium without the quad. I'm still sticking with Ten-Uno-Han prediction unless one or all of those guys end up having a brain-fart. But Han and Mura feel so vulnerable in my mind. :eek:hwell:

andromache

Record Breaker
I think he'll need a quad in Free to medal considering how many quad-ables there are in this competition. Or, the top four will have to really collapse if there is any chance of podium without the quad. I'm still sticking with Ten-Uno-Han prediction unless one or all of those guys end up having a brain-fart. But Han and Mura feel so vulnerable in my mind. :eek:hwell:

Based one what we've seen from Josh, he's definitely planning a quad toe in the long. If he skates clean, he has a great shot at bronze.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Josh practiced his LP with the quad, so I'm sure he's going to include it. I love Han Yan, but he really has trouble holding it together in the LP... same for Mura. And they're only around 3 or 0.5 points ahead - he could beat both.
Also, in completely clean, he might make up the less-than-5-points gap Shoma has on him. And I know a lot of people here love Denis, but looking at TEB, I'd still not even bet on Denis holding on to the podium...

Warwick360

Medalist
Josh practiced his LP with the quad, so I'm sure he's going to include it. I love Han Yan, but he really has trouble holding it together in the LP... same for Mura. And they're only around 3 or 0.5 points ahead - he could beat both.
Also, in completely clean, he might make up the less-than-5-points gap Shoma has on him. And I know a lot of people here love Denis, but looking at TEB, I'd still not even bet on Denis holding on to the podium...

I'm glad the quad's there in that case. But I hope and pray Farris doesn't end up doing anything silly like he tried with his SP at NHK with axel at the far end of the program. Don't see the attraction when considering the risk, same as Kostner in Worlds 2013.

As for Shoma, is it just me or are Japanese federation coming up with new breed of skaters with magical legs. Still amazed how he did a hanyu and managed to save two of his jumps. :shocked:

PS: while I wouldn't necessarily hold Ten to Gold now that the TEB memory has been brought up, I still think with that SP score it would be hard, if not impossible, to knock him off the podium itself.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm glad the quad's there in that case. But I hope and pray Farris doesn't end up doing anything silly like he tried with his SP at NHK with axel at the far end of the program. Don't see the attraction when considering the risk, same as Kostner in Worlds 2013.

Oh, I do see the attraction. That 3A is gorgeous and if he nails it at the very end of the program - how could the judges not go completely :love: and throw all the high marks at him they can find? :)

Also, he strikes me as the kind of guy that is also taking the risk for artistic reasons. Balancing the program, wanting to have that jump fitting to that part of the music... I think he values the performance aspect enough to take an (otherwise unrewarded) risk. And I love that.

PS: while I wouldn't necessarily hold Ten to Gold now that the TEB memory has been brought up, I still think with that SP score it would be hard, if not impossible, to knock him off the podium itself.

If he skates like he did at TEB... Kovtun was 14(!) points behind Denis after the SP, and managed to beat him overall with about 6 points. And IMO, Kovtun has less scoring potential than Shoma, Mura, Han or Josh. Those 4 are the only ones who could be capable of catching him at all - but 3 guys would be enough to pump him off the podium.
(I'm NOT saying I want that to happen, or that it's very likely. But with Denis, I just feel everything is possible - the good, the bad, and the very bad....)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
My dream of Josh-fighting-for-World-medals of course depends on him doing a perfect quad toe in both SP and LP. Of course, if Yuzu/Javi/Denis (and even Mura/Han Yan/Kovtun depending on the panel) go clean, Josh will still be out of medals. But right now I don't put my money on anyone going clean.

One quad in each program will be enough, if Josh can deliver. :cool: But I hope he isn't reading this. :laugh: No pressure, no pressure.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^ I'm relatively optimistic he has better stuff to do - like singing and guitar playing and honing his heartthrob/heartbreaking skills ;)

Warwick360

Medalist
Oh, I do see the attraction. That 3A is gorgeous and if he nails it at the very end of the program - how could the judges not go completely :love: and throw all the high marks at him they can find? :)

But the key word being "IF". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDk6E3AtbQ

I do hope whatever he does, it pays off for him, considering how less than expected this season has been for him so far, barring the Nationals. And if he does go for the impressive factor I hope it goes well. As much as I find it difficult to get into the Kwan worshipping factor, I really did love what she did at the end with her Salome.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
He is the best American man this season, in my opinion... have always thought so. Consistency is the problem (obviously not so much at 4CC so far, though, thankfully!)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Oh, I forgot until now: in case some of you still didn't see the scoresheets so far (the server is down again) - if I remember correctly, Josh got a lv 3 on the steps and a ! on the 3F. So room for improvement! If he would have hit both, that would have probably been a 86+ score! 4T-SP Josh would definitely score above 90 :cheer:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
^ I'm relatively optimistic he has better stuff to do - like singing and guitar playing and honing his heartthrob/heartbreaking skills ;)

No please, he doesn't need to improve on that last bit :drama:

bwayrose7

On the Ice
After his SP, Josh no doubt has gotten a whole new crowd of ladies swooning ... and wishing to be his Valentine on Saturday. :cool:

Most definitely :love: I'm going to miss this SP- it's so lyrical and contemporary and just a delight to watch (and so is he!) If he sticks with the hipster-pop style, I could imagine him doing a beautiful program to "Stay With Me", too.

jwren

Rinkside
is it just me or Joshua got so underscored in the 3A? http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2015/fc2015_Men_SP_Scores.pdf
He only got 1.57 points for his wonderful 3A while some skaters who don't have as beautiful 3A got higher GOE on this jump. :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing. 1.57 is far too low for that gorgeous 3A. Both here and at Nats, it's been on point. I hope that's a pattern that continues, because I don't think I like any jump more than a beautifully executed 3A

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree. It seems like the judges are prize "overtly difficult entry" over the height, flow, and deftness of landing on the jump itself. :disapp:
if they have difficult entry but with the same height and crazy distant as Yuzuru's 3A I'd have no complaint.
But obviously just a difficult entry with so so execution on 3A should not get higher GOE than Joshua's 3A IMO. Gezzz
I hope it was just because Joshua skated early. Maybe his GOE will go up in the FS if he skate clean.