Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Winter Universiade

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

2013 Winter Universiade

With the Summer Universiade in Kazan, Russia, currently taking over Eurosport's schedules (meaning the Australian Open Snooker isn't on TV in Europe this year - Grrrr!!! ), it started me thinking about the upcoming Winter Universiade.

Dates: 10th December to 21st December 2013 (11th December to 15th December for figure skating).

Of the winter sports I am interested in, Eurosport only showed the ski jumping competitions from the 2011 Universiade in Erzurum. And I was surprised to find that most of the competitors were people that I would regularly see competing in the World Cup (this was especially the case in the women’s ski jumping).

But, thinking about it afterwards, I shouldn’t have been that surprised as most of the ski jumpers combine their training with their University education.

In figure skating, this generally does not happen. Most skaters delay their University education until after they finish their competitive skating career.

So that started me wondering: which (familiar) figure skaters would be eligible for this year’s Universiade? And, who are we likely to see representing each country?

As I said, Eurosport did not show the figure skating competitions from Erzurum. But I just looked at the results ( http://www.isuresults.com/results/wu2011/index.htm ) and, although there were a few familiar names (particularly around the top of the results), most of the names were not.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Have any Latin American skaters ever made it to the Olympics? In recent years? Or ever?

I have a vague recollection of a lady from Mexico some time ago, but it's so vague I can't trust the memory to be accurate.
    But, for those who were interested in the fortunes of Latin American skaters in the “remaining Olympic spots” thread, there were a few Brazilians competing at the 2011 Universiade.

Men’s: Kevin Alves
    Ladies: Elena Rodrigues, Alessia Baldo

Finally, I didn’t know where it would be best to post this thread, so I just put it in the main forum. So, if any of the Mods think it would be more suitable in a different forum, feel free to move it!

CaroLiza_fan

I might go there, so I would be really interested in knowing if some of the top skaters could be there! In 2011 there were Oda and B/L, but the Ladies and Dance fields were really "empty"...

Custom Title
    Many Nationals/Euros/4CC are being held in December/January, and since Olympics are only two months away from Universiade, I doubt any of the top skaters would be willing to compete there.

Tripping on the Podium
    Kwak Min-Jeong of South Korea is eligible. She restarted her training a while ago after a series of injuries. If she recovers enough, we may see her in the game.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    I was just reading the thread where russell30 was enquiring about a skating diary, and golden411 pointed out this page on Golden Skate:

http://www.goldenskate.com/upcoming-...skating-events

I didn't know about that page either, so I had a look. It's a very handy tool, so WELL DONE Golden Skate!!!

While there, I noticed that the Universiade was the last event on the list.

So, that started me wondering if there was anybody confirmed as an entry yet.

Neither the Universiade website ( http://www.universiadetrentino.org ) nor Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Winter_Universiade ) have got the pages for the individual sports up yet.

So, does anybody know if any of the teams have confirmed any of their skating representatives for Trentino? And, if so, who's going?

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    This DOES seem like it should be a very worthwhile event and yet the TIMING is so oddly out of synch with the elite skaters' competition schedules (conflicts with so many European National championships). Odd.

Della Monica/Guarise just said in an interview that they plan to compete in Trento!

For Russia: Artemieva & Biryukova said in interviews they were going. I believe Tarasova/Morozov's coach also said they would go. For the men there are 5 that are eligible but don't know who will be chosen (Gorshkov, Bush, Dmitriev, Sezganov, S. Borodulin). But Russian nationals is 1 & 1/2 weeks later so who knows if any will actually go.

Medalist

2013 Winter Universiade

The 2013 Winter Universiade, the XXVI Winter Universiade, is a multi sport winter event which will take place in Trentino, Italy between 11 to 21 December 2013

Information on the Figure Skating Event
    http://www.universiadetrentino.org/s...%20Skating.pdf

http://www.universiadetrentino.org/i...ggio-artistico

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I merged your thread, snsd, with the existing thread, which had been archived.

Custom Title
    Is this event hosted every year?

Every 2 years!

So, now that she is not qualified for the GPF, Carolina will probably compete there!! Any other information about other notable entries? USA? Canada? Japan? Ice Dance (which is one of the events I plan to attend)?

Team Russia announced:

Ladies: Maria Artemieva, Sofia Biryukova, Sofia Mishina,
    No alternates

Men: Moris Kvitelashvili, Gordei Gorshkov, Zhan Bush
    Alternates: Vladislav Sezganov

Pairs: Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Evgenia Trasova/Vladimir Morozov, Natalia Mitina/Yuri Shevchuk
    Alternates: Anastasia Martyusheva/Alexei Rogonov

Ice dance: Ksenia Monko/Kirill Khaliavin, Viktoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin, Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin
    Alternates: Valeria Zenkova/Valery Sinitsin

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Team Russia announced:

Ladies: Maria Artemieva, Sofia Biryukova, Sofia Mishina,
    No alternates
    So many promising ladies and they had such a hard time finding some that are eligible.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast