Gracie Gold | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

The thing that makes me hopeful about Gracie is that she is the first American in awhile with really spacious, powerful jumps. I hope she can build on that and become a grade A skater rather than just a shade under that level. In my experience, it has seemed that skaters with good, strong jumps are able to maintain and even improve those jumps into their twenties, because the jumps don't depend for success on the skaters' being child-sized featherweights. Irina Slutskaya is a prime example of this.

Now if Gracie can just get inside the music a little more....I don't expect her to turn into Michelle or Sasha C., but she could conceivably develop some more elegance and flow.

As for her looks, of course she's very pretty, though those bright red lips aren't my preference. But if it's good enough for Taylor Swift, I suppose I should quiet down about it. I prefer her hair in that lovely braided style. I wouldn't put her at the top of my list of all-time skating beauties, because there are a lot of fine-looking skaters out there, including Czisny, Korpi, YuNa, Mao, about 90% of all ice dancers, and so on. In any case, a lot of fabulous skaters are merely pleasant-looking (for example, Jayne Torvill), and when they start skating, I can't take my eyes off them. So beauty is made up of many aspects, not just a fabulous face.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gold has a powerful, athletic base style to her skating and my hope is that she embraces that more moving forward. Not everyone is cut out to be a pretty princess and I think she is trying WAY too hard (or her coach is making her do so). Slutskaya was mentioned - she's proof that you can be successful without needing to be "the artist". I also feel she needs to be more gutsy in her performances - she comes across as too careful and holding back. Perhaps once she gets her nerves fully under control she can attack more.

usethis2

Medalist
Besides, I would argue that artistry can be developed later in the career unlike athleticism or techniques. And sometimes athleticism, real or perceived, can be enough. (see: Midori for the former and Adelina for the latter).

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Gold has a powerful, athletic base style to her skating and my hope is that she embraces that more moving forward. Not everyone is cut out to be a pretty princess and I think she is trying WAY too hard (or her coach is making her do so). Slutskaya was mentioned - she's proof that you can be successful without needing to be "the artist". I also feel she needs to be more gutsy in her performances - she comes across as too careful and holding back. Perhaps once she gets her nerves fully under control she can attack more.

Irina was no pretty ballerina but she had presence and personality

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
(first post wheeee)

Gold definitely has potential now that she's training with Carroll, he fits her style well, even though he does seem to be a bit cocky (comparing her to Yuna - or was it Mao? - and calling Yulia 'that little girl'). And I do enjoy her jumps - but I think she needs to have more of an emotional investment in her programs, if that makes any sense? Her technicality is great, sure, but I don't see much artistry, and that's what intrigues me in watching. Her programs are beautiful technically, but do nothing to draw me in on the feeling aspect. If she got deeper into the feeling the music, she'll have a pretty good package - speed, jumps, looks... I may not like her personality at all, and nerves are obviously a problem she needs to sort out, but she is pretty and very talented as well. Maybe more acting lessons would help.

(first post wheeee)

Gold definitely has potential now that she's training with Carroll, he fits her style well, even though he does seem to be a bit cocky (comparing her to Yuna - or was it Mao? - and calling Yulia 'that little girl'). And I do enjoy her jumps - but I think she needs to have more of an emotional investment in her programs, if that makes any sense? Her technicality is great, sure, but I don't see much artistry, and that's what intrigues me in watching. Her programs are beautiful technically, but do nothing to draw me in on the feeling aspect. If she got deeper into the feeling the music, she'll have a pretty good package - speed, jumps, looks... I may not like her personality at all, and nerves are obviously a problem she needs to sort out, but she is pretty and very talented as well. Maybe more acting lessons would help.

Welcome, Fleeting! Congratulations on your first post.

Acting lessons is an interesting idea and might be very effective. I don't know whether any other skaters have tried that, though I know that some people have attempted acting careers after they left skating. But I could see how studying acting might provide skaters with an understanding of how to connect with the music and with the audience.

usethis2

Medalist
I believe competitive skaters at least watch movies, musical, opera when they borrow music and story/theme from them.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(first post wheeee)

Welcome aboard!!! I myself have plenty Detroit Luv!!

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
Though Gracie appears somewhat stiff, it's a joy to watch her inspite of it. For me she has a appealing personality on ice.
I can imagine she'll bring World medals to USA after long abstinence, perhaps not in this year but soon.

desertskates

Medalist
Can't believe what I'm about to do here, but...

It is totally fair to omit Wagner's name from a list of "new and rejuvenated crop of US ladies"...Wagner is certainly not new on the scene! Plus, unlike the others, she's on a downward trend in the standings.

Other than that though, I immediately distance myself from anything SF is saying. :slink:

I should point out that "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder. I don't even think she is all that...looks-wise...but that's just me. :think:

Gold has had the "potential" for two years now. It looks like she might finally be realizing it...but I must say, it is STILL too soon to tell how much of a force she'll be in the near future. It really depends on whether she can stay healthy and consistent. I sure hope the "old demons" don't return at Worlds...especially now that she has now established herself as the top American in the field. It is critical that she does well here...no worse than 4th or 5th, which is definitely within her capabilities. Honestly, she really should be able to win a medal here (especially with no Kim or Sotnikova). But she must hold it together to do so. She did a good job of doing so at the Olympics, fall aside (wasn't a meltdown).

Remember Nagasu at 2010 Worlds after excellent showings at Nationals & Olympics? Yeah, never forget...

You have a point with the "new". I ain't mad at that ;) Maybe I was just frustrated to see some writing her off already.
I think worlds will be a very telling event. And beyond that, I'll be looking forward to the GP events next year to see what all the ladies bring in the post Olympic year.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I see Gracie winning gold in ... 2016. Worlds will be in Boston, she's originally from not too far away, from Beantown. Spotted in the audience will be former and current Celtics and Red Sox players, a couple of New England Patriots, and possibly the dynamic duo of Ben Affleck and Matt Damon with their families taking this all in. Her dress will be the same as her namesake / medal.

OK I've scripted this down to the minute details, haven't I?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'd love Gracie to win a gold sometimes in the future! Hopefully earlier than 2016. Show off a proper 3lz3T with all the power and athleticism it deserve. The sport need a standard to measure up to after the great dames leaving this sport.. sob!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I see Gracie winning gold in ... 2016. Worlds will be in Boston, she's originally from not too far away, from Beantown. Spotted in the audience will be former and current Celtics and Red Sox players, a couple of New England Patriots, and possibly the dynamic duo of Ben Affleck and Matt Damon with their families taking this all in. Her dress will be the same as her namesake / medal.

OK I've scripted this down to the minute details, haven't I?

i see possible scenario on her route to gold medal

2014 Worlds - silver
2015 Worlds - gold
2016 Worlds - gold
2017 Worlds - gold

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This I can't see happening. She hasn't won a single international competition, and now you're saying she'll surely medal at the next 4 Worlds, and win 3? If she were some artistic prodigy with insurmountable skating skills that can afford mistakes and still do well (like Kim, Chan, Asada), then sure, but this is way too ambitious to expect of her. I'm surprised you even suggested she would only win silver at this year's Worlds! :laugh:

I see Gracie winning gold in ... 2016. Worlds will be in Boston

I can see that happening. She will probably have refined her performance abilities and gotten to a point where she is worthy of "elite" PCS. Her FS at the Olympics was beautiful to watch, but she still has much improvement, particularly in outward performance and projection. Her jumping technique will serve her very well though... even if she still has body changes, her jumps are well rotated and have good power.

She still has yet to deliver a clean SP and FS, though, so I'd like to see her do that - and win an international competition - before pegging her as potentially dominant as a Lipnitskaia or Hanyu.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This I can't see happening. She hasn't won a single international competition, and now you're saying she'll surely medal at the next 4 Worlds, and win 3? If she were some artistic prodigy with insurmountable skating skills that can afford mistakes and still do well (like Kim, Chan, Asada), then sure, but this is way too ambitious to expect of her. I'm surprised you even suggested she would only win silver at this year's Worlds! :laugh:

I can see that happening. She will probably have refined her performance abilities and gotten to a point where she is worthy of "elite" PCS. Her FS at the Olympics was beautiful to watch, but she still has much improvement, particularly in outward performance and projection. Her jumping technique will serve her very well though... even if she still has body changes, her jumps are well rotated and have good power.

She still has yet to deliver a clean SP and FS, though, so I'd like to see her do that - and win an international competition - before pegging her as potentially dominant as a Lipnitskaia or Hanyu.

then that seeks hypocrisy when you agree she can win Worlds in 2016, what makes you think she cant win in 2015, 2017 or 2018 ?
she can max, 3 or 4 World Titles in the next 4-6 years if she stays healthy, that's more than what Kim, Asada or Kwan would have won at Worlds !

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I think she can win the title next year, but it's too much to give my opinion about 2016/17 (there can appear new great skaters in the meantime). Also, maybe a bronze or even silver medal this year. The gold medal probably not because the worlds seem to be Mao's swan song. I would like her to retire with a world title, Gracie has enough time.:)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
then that seeks hypocrisy when you agree she can win Worlds in 2016, what makes you think she cant win in 2015, 2017 or 2018 ?
she can max, 3 or 4 World Titles in the next 4-6 years if she stays healthy, that's more than what Kim, Asada or Kwan would have won at Worlds !

Home ice advantage will probably put the odds in her favour. Just like you say with Chan and Osmond, she'll probably have a 2-fall advantage over the field and will win no matter how she skates. :rolleye:

Only on home ice could she hold off the wave of Russian youngsters. She'll need to be perfect, but you'd have to imagine that one of Radionova/Lipnitskaia/Sotnikova/other Russians will constantly be nipping at her heels. And potentially Edmunds too, if we're talking domestically.

I'm predicting 2016 is when she'll peak technically, and then might get into Patrick Chan or Mao Asada territory where her standard of technical excellence drops, but hopefully gets it back together by 2018.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Currently, I'm not feeling 2015 gold because it is a steep field right now and she doesn't have much artistry. I agree with the thought that 2016 will be her year - if she gets some emotion into her programs, she'll be incredible.