Gracie Gold | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

R.D.

Record Breaker
woah, settle down y'all. :rofl:

Although Gold seems to be improving on consistency, we don't know how she will handle pressure as defending national champ or as medal contender. Remember Nagasu 4 years ago? What happens when Gold finds herself leading after the SP (unlikely to happen now, but say next year at worlds it happens)? Does she rise to the occasion or fold?

Too soon to proclaim her the Next Big Thing. BUT - things do look promising if she can continue on her current path. She is already ahead of Wagner and has become the top US lady so next step is a world medal. She can do it...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Kwan has 5 World titles. Gold has yet to win any international event, let alone Worlds. :rolleye:

Gracie is still 18, with potential of medaling at Worlds only in her second appearrance
if she stays post 2018, that is more than potential 4 gold medals or more she could win at Worlds

If Gracie will win 2018 Olympics, she will be up there with the American greats
something even Kwan did not achieve, that elusive OGM

jaylee

Medalist
Well, I'm not sure what will happen at 2014 Worlds, but Gracie Gold DID say after her Sochi gala in the mixed zone that she wanted to win the world title in Japan. She sounds very hungry. Of course, Mao, Carolina, and Yulia are not to be counted out, but I definitely think Gracie will contend.

L_Canada

Rinkside
i see possible scenario on her route to gold medal

2014 Worlds - silver
2015 Worlds - gold
2016 Worlds - gold
2017 Worlds - gold

I'd say this scenario is very doubtful with all the talent in the ladies field. Has Gracie even won a grand prix event? Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Plus, a lot can happen in 4 years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Agreed, but Wagner's won GP events and it's not like she's going to win worlds, so...not the best example IMO

L_Canada

Rinkside
Agreed, but Wagner's won GP events and it's not like she's going to win worlds, so...not the best example IMO

True, but I feel like until you can win a GP event you have a slim chance of world podium domination for the next 4 years, as per sky_fly haha.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie is still 18, with potential of medaling at Worlds only in her second appearrance
if she stays post 2018, that is more than potential 4 gold medals or more she could win at Worlds

If Gracie will win 2018 Olympics, she will be up there with the American greats
something even Kwan did not achieve, that elusive OGM

I admire your faith and fanaticism, but you're really getting ahead of yourself. It's exceptionally difficulty, especially given the increasing depth of the women's field, for a skater to with 4+ World titles, let alone all in a row. We don't deny Gold has talent, and excellent technique (I really couldn't give a damn about her looks because being pretty doesn't keep you on your feet and figure skating is a sport not a beauty pageant). But 4 titles is ridiculous. If she were like Julia and won all her GP events (even if CoR was controversial), and came 2nd at the GPF, and delivered two clean programs as per the team event, then sure you could potentially see her as a dominant over the next quad, but she hasn't done anything notable other than win US nationals.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

True, but that can be said about many skaters, Pogorilaya being one of them -- she didn't even make the Sochi team, but beat the eventual Sochi gold medalist to win GP China. All skaters have their ups and downs and things are circumstantial. However, there is no definitive thing that guarantees Gold will win all the world titles (or even anything remotely like that) over the next 4 years, especially when she has shown a lack of consistency this season and produced no winning results or clean competitions. She will be pressed by Polina and other up and comers in the US to even win the next 4 US titles, let alone World titles against the onslaught of young Russians.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I highly doubt whoever wins worlds this year will win next year. I'd be just as surprised if anyone wins two out of the next three. IMO if anyone can make the podium all four years it would be a great accomplishment in itself. With all this talent and the chance of injury it seems the odds are stacked against everyone. I feel it needs to be noted that there is not a clear front runner and the talent next quad is relatively even. As CanadianSkaterGuy pointed out there are ups and downs in this sport. It may simply come down to who can position themselves at the right time to take advantage and who can stay healthy.

Does pretty looks affect your P/E scores? :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I highly doubt whoever wins worlds this year will win next year. I'd be just as surprised if anyone wins two out of the next three. IMO if anyone can make the podium all four years it would be a great accomplishment in itself. With all this talent and the chance of injury it seems the odds are stacked against everyone. I feel it needs to be noted that there is not a clear front runner and the talent next quad is relatively even. As CanadianSkaterGuy pointed out there are ups and downs in this sport. It may simply come down to who can position themselves at the right time to take advantage and who can stay healthy.

Does pretty looks affect your P/E scores? :biggrin:

Yep... we've had a lot of surprise winners and medalists, which is what makes the sport fun to watch. I mean, you could get a silver medalist like Leonova or gold medalist like Meissner. And Arakawa won Worlds, then placed 9th at Worlds, and then won the Olympics, so you never know.

I think with the up and coming Russians (and potential other threats like Li, Edmunds, etc.), Gold will have her work cut out for her to even medal at Worlds over the next quad, let alone win them.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I admire your faith and fanaticism, but you're really getting ahead of yourself. It's exceptionally difficulty, especially given the increasing depth of the women's field, for a skater to with 4+ World titles, let alone all in a row. We don't deny Gold has talent, and excellent technique (I really couldn't give a damn about her looks because being pretty doesn't keep you on your feet and figure skating is a sport not a beauty pageant). But 4 titles is ridiculous. If she were like Julia and won all her GP events (even if CoR was controversial), and came 2nd at the GPF, and delivered two clean programs as per the team event, then sure you could potentially see her as a dominant over the next quad, but she hasn't done anything notable other than win US nationals.

excuse me ? not only has she won nationals
but placed 4th at the Olympics ! ahead of Julia

Gracie is a young lady now, and has shows signs of a new consistency
what makes you think she cant win 4 or 5 World titles in a row
she is CoP marketable and will bring the needed rejuvinated interested in ladies FS in the US
again her being an attractive Hollywood like blonde beauty is just a plus

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

she is CoP marketable and will bring the needed rejuvinated interested in ladies FS in the US

In 2010, Mirai also had won nationals (and arguably some felt she should have won a second title in 2010) and place 4th at the Olympics ahead of two Russian skaters and people though Mirai had some new found consistency under Frank Carroll.

I'm hoping and confident in a different outcome for Gracie, but point is nothing is guaranteed.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
In 2010, Mirai also had won nationals (and arguably some felt she should have won a second title in 2010) and place 4th at the Olympics ahead of two Russian skaters and people though Mirai had some new found consistency under Frank Carroll.

I'm hoping and confident in a different outcome for Gracie, but point is nothing is guaranteed.

except Mirai was a CoP made for disasster, she was still 16 and her body was still stick thin, now not so much
she was an underrotated her her jumps while Gracie has good technique

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
except Mirai was a CoP made for disasster, she was still 16 and her body was still stick thin, now not so much
she was an underrotated her her jumps while Gracie has good technique

Hindsight is 20-20. That's all I can say about that.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There were also questions about Mirai's discipline,training and desire also of which is not in question with Gracie. She has her eye on the prize and truly believes she can be World champion one day which i don't think Mirai ever believed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

So did Mirai. 2008 US champion, 4th in the Winter Olympics, and loads of World medals after. Or Sasha coming 4th and not winning Worlds in the ensuing quadrennial. It's like a curse for American ladies to place 4th in their Olympics debut and then fizzle or not win Worlds after.

The main thing that makes me doubtful at this point that Gracie can win 4 or 5 World titles in a row is because she has yet to win 5 international competitions in a row, or 4 in a row, or 3 in a row, or 2 in a row.

Or one.

Gold should have had easy wins this season. Lost twice to Suzuki, bombed after SP leads, lost to Courtney Hicks.

Even Osmond has 2 international wins under her belt while Gracie has none. Not to mention an Olympic silver medal (while Gracie has only a bronze) which gives her better hardware than Gold at this point.

How you can suggest someone who didn't even make the GPF or medal at the Olympics and hasn't won a single international competition as the one to win the next 4 Worlds is astounding.

redfiretrees

Rinkside
So did Mirai. 2008 US champion, 4th in the Winter Olympics, and loads of World medals after. Or Sasha coming 4th and not winning Worlds in the ensuing quadrennial. It's like a curse for American ladies to place 4th in their Olympics debut and then fizzle or not win Worlds after.

The main thing that makes me doubtful at this point that Gracie can win 4 or 5 World titles in a row is because she has yet to win 5 international competitions in a row, or 4 in a row, or 3 in a row, or 2 in a row.

Or one.

Gold should have had easy wins this season. Lost twice to Suzuki, bombed after SP leads, lost to Courtney Hicks.

Even Osmond has 2 international wins under her belt while Gracie has none. Not to mention an Olympic silver medal (while Gracie has only a bronze) which gives her better hardware than Gold at this point.

How you can suggest someone who didn't even make the GPF or medal at the Olympics and hasn't won a single international competition as the one to win the next 4 Worlds is astounding.

Hope that placing 4th in the Olympics won't be a bad omen for her career (since you pointed out the previous American Ladies that are 4th place finishers did not do well after). But I agree that she has not yet proven herself compared to the other ladies (since she has not yet won any international competition). This upcoming Worlds will be a test for her in terms of consistency and if she can handle the pressure of being the new US#1. But I'm really looking forward to what she can do next season since she seems to be a very driven individual and has already improved a lot under Frank Carroll.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Gracie does well, but her record to date does not support a prediction that she will win even one World Championship. Is is possible she will? Of course! Past performance is not always a predictor of future performance. But without past performance, there is no sound basis for a prediction. It is just guesswork.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Osmond was on a better team simple as that doesn't mean anything else.

But the point is, Gold is being proclaimed as a 4-5 time consecutive world champion with her only international win being 2011 JGP Estonia.....that's a tall order.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not even Kim and Asada have racked up that many world championships and they've been on the scene 7 years. That should tell you something right there...

Honestly, in the post-6.0 era, it is INCREDIBLY difficult to win multiple worlds even if you're the cream of the crop.