Gracie Gold | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

CarneAsada

Medalist
Nobody has written her off. 5th is respectable. But based on her results, I'd write her off long before I hyped her up.

sky_fly still probably believes Gold will win the next 3 world titles, even though the Russians will likely hog the podium.
Remember when sky_fly hated Adelina? It was supposedly because she was a headcase. How many times would Gracie have to implode before falling out of sky_fly's good graces, you think? I would guess 8 straight competitions.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
And Gracie has a 4th at Olympics, which is more impressive than a 4th at Worlds, especially given that no Russian ladies performed well at the Worlds where Ashley finished 4th.

However, neither Gracie nor Ashley has really made it out of the middle of the pack as yet. I think Frank has done a lot with her this last six months. I may find it frustrating that her jumps are now smaller (but landed more frequently), and I might fear that Frank will soon teach her to flutz like most other nice US ladies, but she has learned how to fall without totally imploding, which is a big step for her. Let's give Frank more than 6 months to see what he can make of Gracie before writing her off entirely? :laugh:

Don't ladies generally either flutz or lip? Gracie is a chronic lipper

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It.was.a.joke.

However, Sasha Cohen used to both flutz and lip. And she wasn't the only one.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, good luck getting Hollywood offers with a 5th at Worlds and no international wins. At least Wagner has wins and a 4th at Worlds.

Yeah and is sinking not just internationally but domestically too. Polina will soon pass up Wagner. With no 3-3 she's doomed to be 7th at Worlds everytime if she she makes it that far that is. Wagner better pray that no one else in the US comes up in the next season or two.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
The USFSA's desperation to get an audience back has made them over hype Gold to a point of ridiculousness. Yes, she has a 3/3 and is generally pretty consistent .. But, tell me, can she hear the music playing? Because it sure seems as if the music is doing one thing and she is doing another. There is no connection to the music. She's an arm flapper,stiff and does not flow, she whips her arms around in an attempt to be dramatic but it doesn't fit the music.
I'm not seeing a lot of grace in her skating, she comes off disconnected and rushed. Oh, but she is pretty and blond. Yippee. :sarcasm:

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Gracie wasn't invited to the Worlds gala, but Ashley was, along with Marissa/Simon. Thoughts?
I'm biased because I love Ashley's and C/S's exhibition, but it's odd she wasn't invited.

ranjake

Final Flight
The USFSA's desperation to get an audience back has made them over hype Gold to a point of ridiculousness. Yes, she has a 3/3 and is generally pretty consistent .. But, tell me, can she hear the music playing? Because it sure seems as if the music is doing one thing and she is doing another. There is no connection to the music. She's an arm flapper, she whips her arms around in an attempt to be dramatic but it doesn't fit the music.
I'm not seeing a lot of grace in her skating, she comes off disconnected and rushed. Oh, but she is pretty and blond. Yippee. :sarcasm:

I think she has it there- she just has to access it. She has to fight and want it. Some of her positions and spins are naturally very pretty- but they are not maximized. The little Russians, when they have a beautiful element- they seem to highlight it. I think Gracie needs to regain the fight without the frantic. Such a naturally gifted Girl, and yes- beautiful. And the judges LOVE her. But what path is a her career going to take? Will she be like Johnny Weir or Jeremy- amazingly gifted but never totally capitalized with winning all they should have? I hope not. She can be the whole package, but she has to fight for it. That said, Gracie is only 18 and did well in this long season. I hope to see her potential fully realized in the future.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
If Frank can't pull it out of her I don't know who can. I am surprised he would tolerate her lip.

Speaking of Frank how much longer will he coach?? He is 75!!

ranjake

Final Flight
If Frank can't pull it out of her I don't know who can. I am surprised he would tolerate her lip.

Speaking of Frank how much longer will he coach?? He is 75!!

I was wondering the same :( He LOOKS great- and some senior citizens can work even longer than 75 and do great- I just wonder how much longer he will want too?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I may find it frustrating that her jumps are now smaller (but landed more frequently), and I might fear that Frank will soon teach her to flutz like most other nice US ladies, but she has learned how to fall without totally imploding, which is a big step for her. Let's give Frank more than 6 months to see what he can make of Gracie before writing her off entirely? :laugh:

It's interesting, because the combination of her stiffness and (now) small jumps reminds me very much of Jenny Kirk, who could also be very consistent. Earlier this season I thought she was packaged wrong and should make her choreography to highlight her power, but now that she isn't a power skater I don't know what would work for her musically.

Barb

Record Breaker
The USFSA's desperation to get an audience back has made them over hype Gold to a point of ridiculousness. Yes, she has a 3/3 and is generally pretty consistent .. But, tell me, can she hear the music playing? Because it sure seems as if the music is doing one thing and she is doing another. There is no connection to the music. She's an arm flapper, she whips her arms around in an attempt to be dramatic but it doesn't fit the music.

I hated her sp at worlds so stiff and not gracious at all :disapp:, but she can do it better, she is capable, look at her performance in the today show :love:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CPnD8hB1O8 , she was not doing jumps and not judges, so I guess she was just enjoying it and even it was really cold in NY that day, but I think she moved very well with the music and not stiffness, except her step seq that IMO always are horrendous.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frank and Lori need to open Gracie up and find out what makes her tick and translate that to the ice. No more trying to make her something she isn't she needs to be herself.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She's still very new and young and can't be expected to have the success of a Lipnitskaia or Kim just yet.

Her jumping technique is strong but she needs to fix her flip and the stability of her axel. Seems like she can do a 3T off any jump with decent flow.

I have faith in her to do well, but it's not rabid hype so much as tentative optimism.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What would you like to see her skate to? I have no idea myself.

Something with character or attitude. That is the plus Wagner has over her... She has great fire and connection. Gracie doing two classical pieces is fine but they both seem "safe" and pretty and prim. Compare that to Schindler's List or Send In the Clowns and its apparent that if you can become more expressive or create a spark (and not just simply be elegant) you will be automatically more interesting to watch and people will look at you for more than jumps (and your blisteringly stunning Blonde looks that are the envy of all of Hollywood :laugh:).

caelum

On the Ice
Something with character or attitude. That is the plus Wagner has over her... She has great fire and connection. Gracie doing two classical pieces is fine but they both seem "safe" and pretty and prim. Compare that to Schindler's List or Send In the Clowns and its apparent that if you can become more expressive or create a spark (and not just simply be elegant) you will be automatically more interesting to watch and people will look at you for more than jumps (and your blisteringly stunning Blonde looks that are the envy of all of Hollywood :laugh:).

Hm. Sounds like the Vertigo soundtrack would be perfect. And sky_fly is obviously playing Scottie in this narrative.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
The program I've enjoyed the most from Gracie this year is her Chicago exhibition - probably because she looks like she's actually having fun in it.
She needs to find her own style.

jaylee

Medalist
The program I've enjoyed the most from Gracie this year is her Chicago exhibition - probably because she looks like she's actually having fun in it.
She needs to find her own style.

I agree with this. I thought her SP was a poor fit (especially the footwork, where she's beaming like she's having the time of her life but the music is all dramatic...what?), but I actually thought the FS, when executed with speed and power, was quite exciting and a good showcase for Gracie. Not the best of programs, but I thought it worked as performed at Nationals.

She does need better, more interesting programs and hopefully she'll get it this season.