Gracie Gold | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There is unfortunately a double standard for female athletes when it comes to sponsorship and endorsement opportunities in the U.S. Looks and packaging can carry you a long way even when the results aren't there. Look no further than Lolo Jones, who is a household name in the U.S. despite an unremarkable Olympic track record. Figure skating is certainly not immune to this. Nancy Kerrigan was rolling in endorsements long before Tonya Harding-gate, while Kristi Yamaguchi really struggled to cash in on her Olympic gold medal.

My point is that the bar is pretty low for Gracie Gold to profit from these Olympics. If she wins, she will be a multi-millionaire. Even if she doesn't, there will still be opportunities for her that weren't there for Rachael Flatt and won't be for Ashley Wagner. She's already on the cover of SI despite never winning a World Championship medal. That is a difficult task to accomplish for a figure skater in the U.S. She is extremely talented, but she is lucky that she has her looks and personality to fall back on.

Why did you change your username? I preferred the other.

travelbug

Rinkside
Gracie is a very beautiful girl and she has lots of potential in the sport. I can definitely see her on Worlds' podiums in the future.
But is it enough to be marketable? Especially when figure skating is not that popular any more in the U.S., her potential success in the sport won't necessarily appeal to the sponsors.

<snip>
But Gracie has a very bright future as a skater for sure.

I can't help but think of Nastia after her win in gymnastics and can see a lot of parallels with her and Gracie, with some Shawn thrown in.

Yet there many additional advantages Gracie has - already - and most of those are reflective of Shawn's post-Olympic journey.

Though Nastia and Shawn sort of went into figuring to be neck and neck, etc., Nastia was (at least vocally) quite confident, whereas Shawn just seemed thrilled to go and compete for the love of the sport, she would pour her whole heart into it, and would just take things as they came, and with a bright smile to boot (in that respect, Gracie's more like Shawn).

Nastia sort of earned her "right" to come across a little entitled after her medal, but since she struck many that way beforehand, she hadn't typically been as endearing as Shawn - who oozed marketability and the sponsors ate that up. Nastia, however, did have sort of having the stereotypical "look" sponsors like - blondes, thin lines, etc., just countered by what sometimes came off as aloofness.

Gracie is much, much more like Nastia in the stereotypical 'look' companies seem to like to use. Unlike Nastia, at least in those early years and even the first bit after her win, Gracie also has a nearly every-present easy smile about her, which, to some extent, can temper some of what had come across to some as a bit overly confident given her lack of senior int'l experience.

While Nastia got the gold, Shawn was the one who went on Dancing with the Stars, and Shawn really continued to be the one who had the public 'love.' Nastia certainly did a lot following her win, and then began heading into trying to broadcast. But even then, many still struggled to warm up to Nastia.

Once it was pretty apparent it was unlike either would really get back to being competitive for the London Olympics, despite the varying degrees of true attempt they each made, it's been interesting to see their journeys and their growth.

Nastia has grown tremendously. She's no longer cringe worthy much of the time when commentating, speaking, or now even interviewing and hosting some. And because she's camera appealing to most, that growth has opened what's really a significant door for her, with being there and really working for NBC doing all sorts of bits and pieces. While her family background surely added to it, she's jumped into the entire other Olympic realm now and is doing surprisingly well in the process.

Then we have Gracie, who, like Shawn, will very likely not leave with a gold medal this Olympic season, but is obviously at least walking away with the team bronze.

Unlike both Nastia and Shawn, barring something catastrophic, it seems nearly impossible that Gracie wouldn't continue competing at least the next four years to take part in at least on more Olympics if possible. (Heck, if for no other reason than she REALLY wants the "Gracie is Golden" type headline from an Olympics! Ha)

I think about the United airline commercial Gracie was just in. I've seen it only twice, I think. But she's just smiley, cute, looking totally at ease, etc. And I suspect that'll only be the part of bigger offers (beyond Cover Girl, etc.) that she'll get simply from walking away with at least the team bronze. If she wins something else - and this early on in her career - I suspect that will sky rocket! United did NOT put her in that ad thinking oh she has a slight chance and we need a cute person to be our "it" person in this new ad...

I also would honestly be shocked if Gracie is NOT asked to compete on Dancing with the Stars. To be even more honest, I'd not at all be surprised if she already has been asked. And Olympians have historically done well on there! And I suspect she'll do it.

And I suspect they'll follow the Nastia pattern with Gracie - only Gracie has the being relatively endearing thing down to decent degree now (and seems to be working on it!) I think they'll pull Gracie in to commentating at certain things - even other skating events to the extent it doesn't impede her career (similar to the balance they worked out with Nastia) And then I suspect she may well be seen at the next summer games, playing the role Nastia is here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think about the United airline commercial Gracie was just in.

No denying that Gold has a boatload of sponsors -- as does Wagner.
But I have yet to see any magnetic star quality or "it" factor in Gold. YMMV.
I have seen at least two or three slightly different versions of the United commercial. Gold fits the image of a figure skater right out of central casting, but I was more interested in other athletes/sports that were represented.

Now for the real purpose of this post:
Wanted to mention that United also is giving visibility to Zhang/Bartholomay, who are featured in the airline's signage. :)

Zamboni

On the Ice
I think Grace Kelly's best movie was Rear Window, but she was at her most stunning in To Catch A Thief. Not her best film, but she is absolutely gorgeous in that movie.

Alfred Hitchcock always made sure that GK was photographed beautifully.

Zamboni

On the Ice
I do think Gracie Gold is marketable because she is pretty and really has a great smile.

I also think her skating has improved markedly under Frank. I hope she starts to relate to her music a little better. That was one of the things that made Michelle Kwan so great. I'm sure that Frank will work with her on that.

She has also become far more consistent this season. She just seems so much more confident. I do think that with Yuna and Mao retiring she has a bright future.

Hopefully Gracie G will learn a lot from the Olympics in how she can improve. She can be a big star during the next few years. She has the jumps, now she just needs to work on the rest.

Manitou

Medalist
Here I'll use Yuna as a case study because she is the most marketable skater right now.

The reason why Yuna has been so marketable is because she can dance, sing, act, pose. Whatever they ask, Yuna could do. That opened up her chances to many products because Yuna is not just a pretty sportswoman, but a beautiful woman with many charms.

I don't think Yuna has even a minimal impact on the US public other than among the most hard-core skate fans. Outside of the hard-core fans nobody even knows who she is.
If Gracie makes an impact at OG it will be a completely different story. Being young, blond and pretty will make her a media princess and she will appear on every possible talk show in the US. US skating community needs her success a lot.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie Gold's Consistency

Gracie has improved drastically, both controlling her nerves and hitting her jumps on the ice
and is now one of the most consistent skaters out there under Frank Caroll tutelage

she has a legitimate shot at a medal, even gold if others falter, leading into in Sochi, she has been lying low and thus will be helpful for her
while other skaters have weaknesses, Gracie seems the most complete, her arsenal includes huge jumps, her speed and power, judges also seem to love her hollywood like looks and her body type highlights her lines especially in spinning

its really nice to see a complete package skater competing atm

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Seriously? Weren't you the one who made that other thread to put all of Gracie's news, discussion, etc. into it?

Anyways, it's nice to see her do a strong FS in the team event. She has yet to put out a clean SP & LP, but I think she is capable of it.

Her consistency will come with time, but I don't think it's quite at the level of the other skaters, certainly Julia being one of them.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
similar blonde ? she is definitely not, that is one of the highlights for Gracie because why she is getting noticed
imo, her being rushed has imrpoved under frank Caroll she has become more calm
I dont see how she cant medal if she is clean she was 2nd in the FS, and her PCS can improve
her jumps should rack high GOE's. her being consistent now in a short period is amazing, 2 clean skates in a row !
Gracie is now up there now with Yuna, Julia etc in terms of consistency

Gracie has definitely improved but (as usual) you're proclaiming a little too much too soon for her. That was her first clean FS of the season (she nearly fell on her 3F at nationals). She's definitely getting the hang of competing but I'd hold off on proclaiming her to be as consistent as Julia for now...

I think if Gracie skates well in both programs she'll have a shot at the top 5 but I can't see her on the podium unless a number of people have bad skates. It seems like gold and silver are locked up b/w Yu-Na and Julia. Gracie was 2nd in the FS but the majority of the heavy hitters were missing: No Yu-Na, no Mao, no Carolina, no Adelina, no Ashley...the only real competition there was Akiko (who did not perform well) and Julia (who beat her by 12 points).

The judges were very conservative with GOE and PCS for Gracie at the team event despite the fact she basically skated cleanly. She got +7.15 points in +GOE compared to Julia who got +10.47 points; She got 61.89 in PCS skating cleanly versus Julia's 69.82. Averaging out those scores for the SP, that puts Gracie at 30.94 in PCS...so right around 31+. I could see her PCS in the FS rising to 62+ or possibly 63+ if she skates cleanly again, but that won't be enough to compete with Yu-Na/Julia/Adelina/Carolina/Mao (all of whom are receiving 33+/68+ in PCS).

A number of skaters would have to make errors in order for Gracie to make it to the podium. I still think she's got the best shot of any of the American ladies to do it but right now it's not looking very likely.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yes, Gracie is hot :laugh: She seems to have that perfect figure, much like Yuna and Mao, which is pleasing to the eyes. In fact, I sometimes think she is the Western version of Yuna, at least in terms of visual package. Gracie still lacks artistry as many have said, but hopefully that will come.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Gracie has definitely improved but (as usual) you're proclaiming a little too much too soon for her. That was her first clean FS of the season (she nearly fell on her 3F at nationals). She's definitely getting the hang of competing but I'd hold off on proclaiming her to be as consistent as Julia for now...

I think if Gracie skates well in both programs she'll have a shot at the top 5 but I can't see her on the podium unless a number of people have bad skates. It seems like gold and silver are locked up b/w Yu-Na and Julia. Gracie was 2nd in the FS but the majority of the heavy hitters were missing: No Yu-Na, no Mao, no Carolina, no Adelina, no Ashley...the only real competition there was Akiko (who did not perform well) and Julia (who beat her by 12 points).

The judges were very conservative with GOE and PCS for Gracie at the team event despite the fact she basically skated cleanly. She got +7.15 points in +GOE compared to Julia who got +10.47 points; She got 61.89 in PCS skating cleanly versus Julia's 69.82. Averaging out those scores for the SP, that puts Gracie at 30.94 in PCS...so right around 31+. I could see her PCS in the FS rising to 62+ or possibly 63+ if she skates cleanly again, but that won't be enough to compete with Yu-Na/Julia/Adelina/Carolina/Mao (all of whom are receiving 33+/68+ in PCS).

A number of skaters would have to make errors in order for Gracie to make it to the podium. I still think she's got the best shot of any of the American ladies to do it but right now it's not looking very likely.

This totally. Even if she is now a JuLip like machine I believe the following skaters if clean still beat her (and keep in mind this is if she skates PERFECTLY clean):

Yuna & Julia. I now believe Julia has a 2 mistake advantage over Gracie. Yuna has a 2-3 mistake advantage.
Mao. A 1-2 mistake advantage.
Carolina. A 1 mistake advantage.
Akiko and Adelina. Probably no advantage mistake wise but if they go clean they beat Gracie (or at least Akiko SHOULD. Adelina WILL, fair or not, cuz it's Russia).

In addition, if both clean, Ashley MIGHT beat Gracie (though far from certain and some unlikely). Again, still operating under assumption hat Gracie skates PERFECTLY.

If Gracie falters and any of these skaters go clean, the clean skater does in all absolute liklihood beat Gracie.

Ashley.
Osmond.

I am probably forgetting some.

This is not meant as a post to drag Gracie down. This is the objective truth.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't think there's much possibility Osmond beats Gold unless she has a meltdown. Osmond has major TES deficit and this isn't in Canada where she's going to get a big PCS boost for 3T+3T, 3F like Worlds last year.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is very consistent. She is one-for-one in her short program and one-for-two in her long (leaving aside the edge call). Unless her PCS magically balloons, she has no chance at a gold medal and only a slim chance at a bronze.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
How on earth can brunette Julia or black-haired Kim/Asada compete with this blonde beauty? :laugh:

I feel like you're the type of person who dyes your own hair blonde (or even blonder) with the hopes of looking prettier. :rolleye:

ummm. ever wondered first that Gracie "Gold" gets attention because golden/blonde hair goes with her name :)
her facial beauty, hollywood looks and ideal body type is just a bonus for the judges to score her higher in component marks

speed, power and huge jumps is her asset

tulosai

Record Breaker
lol, what makes you think Wagner will score higher than Gracie if both go clean

What I actually said (verbatim) is Ashley MIGHT beat Gracie (though far from certain and some unlikely). (I meant to say somewhat not some but that's what comes when you are quoting verbatim.

Why do I think it's not crazy to think she MIGHT?

Ashley Wagner PB Internationally (she got all of these in the past year, and 2 of them in the past 3-4 months so despite the fact that I admit/agree she's on a downward slide and hence think it's somewhat unlikely she'll beat Gracie, it's not like these scores are ancient history)

SP: 69.26
LP: 128.83
Overall: 194.37

Gracie Gold PB Internationally

SP: 69.45
LP: 129.38
Overall: 188.03

Not so very far apart, eh?

Now, as I said above, I do see Gracie as on an upward swing and Ash on a downward one. I think it is unlikely clean Ashley beats clean Gracie. But impossible or lol-worthy? Not so much.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
What I actually said (verbatim) is Ashley MIGHT beat Gracie (though far from certain and some unlikely). (I meant to say somewhat not some but that's what comes when you are quoting verbatim.

Why do I think it's not crazy to think she MIGHT?

Ashley Wagner PB Internationally (she got all of these in the past year, and 2 of them in the past 3-4 months so despite the fact that I admit/agree she's on a downward slide and hence think it's somewhat unlikely she'll beat Gracie, it's not like these scores are ancient history)

SP: 69.26
LP: 128.83
Overall: 194.37

Gracie Gold PB Internationally

SP: 69.45
LP: 129.38
Overall: 188.03

Not so very far apart, eh?

Now, as I said above, I do see Gracie as on an upward swing and Ash on a downward one. I think it is unlikely clean Ashley beats clean Gracie. But impossible or lol-worthy? Not so much.

Wagner's PCS

that is a downward trend even in componets alone
plus she is not consistent with her 3-3 either UR, two foots or falls down

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wagner's PCS

that is a downward trend even in componets alone
plus she is not consistent with her 3-3 either UR, two foots or falls down

I don't understand what part of what I said you are disagreeing with.