Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Gold vs. Kim

Gold vs. Kim

I see Grace as her sucessor if all goes well. Could a techie person compare their LPs this year in terms of content difficulty across all the elements, jumps, footwork, speed, choreo , spins etc. How did they compare when both were 17?

How I wish they had summer skating trials and all had to qualify for soschi moths ahead. Ladies event alone will be thrilling I hope. I cannot wait-!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Gracie doesn't have the soul and connection to the music that Yu-Na displayed at an even younger age.

Custom Title
    This is still one of the best SPs of all time, despite her back injuries. The way she moved to the music in this was absolutely phenomenal, and at only 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bYtM0vmtkM

Banned
    sorry not yet comparable

In terms of accomplishments, she's way behind:

17 year old Yuna: two World medals, two GPF titles, three GP titles, etc.
    17 year old Gracie: one GP medal, one silver at nats

What about artistry and musicality? Not close either. Just compare their performances: "Tango de Roxanne" and "the Lark Ascending" vs. "Hernando's Hideaway" and "Life is Beautiful".

The only terms they are comparable on is technical proficiency. Granted, Gracie may be the type of skater who matures musically and achieves greater competitive results at an older age, but right now there isn't much to go by to call her Yuna's "successor."

Custom Title
    I think Gracie is more of a Miki Ando-type - a strong technician without an artistic bone in her body.

Gracie lost to Yuna by over 30 points at Worlds. She might as well have competed in a different event, because she's not in Yuna's league as a skater. She is far behind when it comes to skating skills, presentation, choreography, musicality, projection to the audience and consistency on her technical elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I think Gracie is more of a Miki Ando-type - a strong technician without an artistic bone in her body.
    This may turn out to be true, but I am still hoping that Gracie does develop her artistry to become the next great skater. She has a lot of potential and has the IT factor.

I don't have the expertise to technically break down their jumps, but aside from not doing 3L and 3A Yuna appears to be in a league of her own. The height, massive ice coverage, ease and consistency of Yuna's jumps is amazing, and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of hers. Gracie's jumps are also impressive but her consistency so far has been her downfall. Her jumps also look more laborious as compared to Yuna. Jenny Kirk has mentioned several times that she jumps with her arms and I think that effects the aesthetics of the jump.

Gracie does trump Yuna in the layback spins (well most North American skaters do) and I like her spin positions better in general. However when it comes down to skating skills, musicality, artistry and performance quality, she's nowhere near Yuna.

Custom Title

Gracie lost to Yuna by over 30 points at Worlds. She might as well have competed in a different event, because she's not in Yuna's league as a skater. She is far behind when it comes to skating skills, presentation, choreography, musicality, projection to the audience and consistency on her technical elements.
    I would merely point out, though, that both Caro and Mao also lost to Yuna by a landslide, more than 20 points, so Gracie is in stellar company . The fact is, when Yuna skates like that, no one has managed to get within striking distance of her (yet). But no one suggests that they ought to be skating in different events (except Phil Hersh ).

On the other side of the ledger, Gracie is younger than Mao/Caro, and therefore, on that basis alone, has greater upside potential.

Even if, in the worst case scenario, all the apparent effort Gracie is putting into improving her presentation, musicality and artistry comes to naught, and in a couple of years time she really is seen as the inheritor of Miki's mantle (I made a funny ) rather than Yuna's, we must try to remember that there are, in the larger scheme of things, far worse fates. I mean, Miki did win a couple of World titles, after all.

But allow me to cling to my hopes (or illusions, as the case may be) for a while longer, that Gracie will continue to slowly blossom over time, and, eventually, do her Korean idol proud.

Banned
    to be fair Gracie she just needs more experience and artistry
    she already has the big jumps, speed and raw power in her skating

Banned
    Gold is already the top skater of her age group. This is proven by her repeated dominance over others of her generation. She does look like the one to beat in the 2015-2018 quad already (unless Yu Na stays on) and thus her likely successor as Queen of Figure Skating.

Custom Title
    Any female skater vs. YuNa - Yuna wins.

Yuna is so much better than any other Lady, that other has no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Miki's mantle

Banned
    it wont be that bad either she is a two time World Champion

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Gold is already the top skater of her age group. This is proven by her repeated dominance over others of her generation. She does look like the one to beat in the 2015-2018 quad already (unless Yu Na stays on) and thus her likely successor as Queen of Figure Skating.
    Gracie hasn't really proven herself yet. She has yet to win a major competition (or even a Grand Prix qualifying event). Her jumps are very close to Yu Na's level--when she does them. Her artistry, though, is seriously lacking. But maybe it doesn't matter under IJS. It's heresy, I know, but I really don't think Yu Na is the most artistic skater. But she is miles ahead of Gracie at this point.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast