Thread: Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

Hybrid View

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

News Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible??: Sen. Graham's idea if Snowden receives asylum

ETA, I see now that The Hill originally reported Sen. Graham's idea. (UPI did nothing more than cite The Hill.)
    Sen. Graham suggests US boycott Winter Olympics in Russia over Snowden
    By Jeremy Herb, Julian Pecquet and Justin Sink - 07/16/13 08:31 PM ET
    http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affa...s-over-snowden

Graham: US should consider Olympic boycott over possible Snowden asylum
    U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has suggested that the U.S. boycott the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, if NSA leaker Edward Snowden is granted temporary asylum in the country.
    By Kasie Hunt and Kelly O'Donnell, NBC News (Jul 17)
    http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...snowden-asylum

Lindsey Graham Wants to Ruin the 2014 Olympics Over Edward Snowden

Snowden told the truth. If President Obama is embarrassed by the truth then he should rethink his policies.

As for Senator Graham's proposal to punish American athletes, that requires no comment.

Custom Title
    For God sakes keep politics out of the Olympics. If Obama pulls a Jimmy Carter and boycotts he should just resign.

Custom Title
    Could not agree more; this is a ridiculous suggestion. Let's hope it comes to nothing.

I think it is generally understood that the 1980/1984 boycotts had absolutely no substantive effect on the international political situation and served only to hurt the athletes involved.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    That's one senator's puffed up opinion...I wouldn't pay it much mind.

Besides, the Olympics are about the athletes and the spirit of competition...they have nothing to do with whatever political hoopla is the flavor of the week. If that was the case the US would have boycotted the Beijing games in 2008...IIRC the US isn't too crazy about some of China's policies.

Custom Title
    The boycott won't happen. The Snowden affair doesn't rise to the level of the Soviets invading Afghanistan in '79, and will probably blow over by the time of the Olympics anyway.

Banned
    chickening out ??? No way for one person who is blown out of major proportion by the media and useless people in the senate
    well that will give Russia, Canada and Japan just more sweet medals in FS

Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    The Snowden affair doesn't rise to the level of the Soviets invading Afghanistan in '79, and will probably blow over by the time of the Olympics anyway.
    And now the Russians are out and the U.S. is in. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    For God sakes keep politics out of the Olympics. If Obama pulls a Jimmy Carter and boycotts he should just resign.
    Sounds good to me. Wishfull thinking though, the guy loves to live and travel like a king on our dime. Putin is not losing any sleep over this, in fact he might prefer it.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Snowden told the truth. If President Obama is embarrassed by the truth then he should rethink his policies.

As for Senator Graham's proposal to punish American athletes, that requires no comment.
    I Totally Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Apparently George Takei has also joined others recommending the host city be changed. He suggests Vancouver. Considering Vancouver hosted the last Winter Olympics, I don't think that will happen. However, I understand his logic. Vancouver would be the city most likely to have many facilities still in place after 2010. Still, it would be a huge task in such short notice for any country. I know Russia did a fine job hosting Worlds on short notice after the Japan disaster. However, we are now talking about hosting "all" winter sports, not just Figure Skating.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13641678/

Custom Title
    I'm wondering if he truly believes what he himself said?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Which thing that he said do you think he doesn't believe?

He would be for moving the Olympics because of the Russian anti-gay laws, not because of Snowden.

George Takei is quite a guy. I saw him interviewed recently, I think on Lawrence O'Donnell?

George and his family were moved by the US into a concentration camp in Arkansas when he was about 5 years old. No, not for being gay. For being Japanese and living on the west coast. The interview took him back to the concentration camp-it is all destroyed now, but he said it still haunts his dreams. (In the US we called them interment camps, but they were concentration camps.)

At about the same time, the Nazis arrested over 100,000 homosexuals and moved an estimated 5 to 15 thousand of them to concentration camps, where they became victims of the Holocaust, along with Jews & gypsies & other people the Nazis found undesirable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecu..._the_Holocaust

I daresay George believes what he said more than most. He knows where this kind of a hate law can lead, and has actually been there.

When California briefly legalized gay marriage, George married his partner of 25 years, Brad.

http://www.georgetakei.com/bio.asp

George has been persecuted for who is more than most: first for being Japanese in the US in WW2, then having to hide in the closet for years for being gay. Then, out of the closet, and married, he saw CA take away the opportunity for gay marriage, until that proposition was thrown back to the state courts by the US Supreme Court, effectively overturning the proposition.

Here's George's blog post on the subject of moving the Olympics:

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blo...-move-olympics

an excerpt
    It’s been bubbling for some time, but the controversy over Russia’s draconian “gay propaganda” law has now boiled over. Last week, Russia’s Sports Minister confirmed that the country intends to enforce its laws against visiting LGBT athletes, trainers and fans, meaning anyone even so much as waving a rainbow flag (and I presume many men enthusiastically watching and dramatically commenting on figure skating) would be arrested, held for weeks and then deported. Given this position, the IOC must do the right thing, protect its athletes and the fans, and move the 2014 Winter Olympics out of Russia.

The International Olympic Committee’s fundamental principles include an unequivocal statement: “The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.” In specific response to the Russian law, the IOC, in a recent interview, doubled down: “[We] would like to reiterate our long commitment to not discriminate against those taking part in the Olympic Games. The IOC is an open organization and athletes of all orientations will be welcome at the Games.” It appears Russia isn’t listening, and indeed now has raised the stakes by threatening arrests.
    another excerpt

NBC and the corporate sponsors of the Olympics should be paying close attention, too, and should get behind the “Move the Olympics” movement now, while there is still time to do so. If the Winter Olympics proceed in Sochi, Russia, all of the goodwill they have spent millions to build will evaporate in noisy protests, boycotts, and terrible publicity. I personally will be beating this particular drum loudly, as will many other LGBT actors, activists and allies. Trust me, if you are a corporate brand, you do not want to be associated with the Sochi Olympics.

Nations are not judged merely on their might, but also by how they treat their most vulnerable. Russia’s cynical and deplorable actions against the LGBT community have given license to hate groups within its borders to act with violence and impunity against a group, based solely on whom they were born to love. It now seeks to spread that hate abroad through its tainted Olympics. If Russia hopes to stand with the International Community, it must accept and adopt international principles of equality and non-discrimination.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-09-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Which thing that he said do you think he doesn't believe?
    The suggestion of moving Olympics to another place is a joke, Vancouver or anywhere else. Anyone with half of the brain will know that it will not happen.

Here is President Obama's most recent response to the issues that the Snowden case raised. Obama promises greater "transparency" about the government's surveillance programs.

On Thursday, Obama held talks on surveillance with the heads of leading IT and communications companies including Apple, Google and AT&T, the newspaper and website Politico reported.

"The meeting was part of the ongoing dialogue the president has called for on how to respect privacy while protecting national security in a digital era," another official said, without offering further detail.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...5186780bc7.2d1