Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

b-man

Final Flight
ridiculous..

and im sure team russia/putin doesn't really care if team US will be there or not.. they will probably gonna' say.. go ahead.. LOL!

I read in the economist the Russians are spending $50 billion on Sochi, making it the most expensive Olympics yet, more than Beijing 2008 or London 2012. I always thought summer games cost more to produce, but apparently Putin is sparing no expense in Sochi. Any boycot would be a big blow to the games and to Sochi. But for one, the US won't do it. If we did, no other country would join the US. A lot of countries opposed the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in '79, while I doubt any other country is upset over the snowden affair. Also, if I remember correctly, the Russians got back at the US for the Moscow boycot by boycotting the LA games in 1984

b-man

Final Flight
And now the Russians are out and the U.S. is in. The more things change the more they stay the same.

But the Russian invasion was unprovoked. They didn't have planes flying into buildings in their largest cities sent by Bin Laden. Not the same at all.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Kelly Whiteside ‏@KellyWhiteside 52m

USOC says they strongly oppose boycott of Sochi Olympics because of Snowden, citing 1980, saying they do not work

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could see boycotting the Olympics back in 1936 in Germany but even then Jessie Owens threw Hitlers aryan superiority right back into his face. That was the best way to get back at him.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Possible contender for homeland security secretary Jane harman also said something about Sochi and snowden and shes a democrat. I believe all the money over tv has already been spent and Russia would lose money only by the athletes not being there and merchandising i think. Like there was lots of Moscow merchandise that went unbought in the west like that misha? Merchandise. Afghanistan was December 1979 so there is still lots of time for something else! Lol!! Afghanistan had a communist government that was failing and it was always the soviet story that they were Invited to restore order. But then They killed that guy!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I just read, Putin doesn't like Snowden. "The Russian head of state as unacceptable any activity that could harm the Russian-American relations."

LauraV

On the Ice
Foreign politics is a vanity enterprise for Sen. Lindsay Graham. He is prone to dubious posturing on international affairs - this looks like more of the same. No one in the US government who matters, including the President, supports this idea. I wouldn't waste any energy worrying about a boycott. Certainly not over Edward Snowden.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I read in the economist the Russians are spending $50 billion on Sochi, making it the most expensive Olympics yet, more than Beijing 2008 or London 2012. I always thought summer games cost more to produce, but apparently Putin is sparing no expense in Sochi.

One reason it's costing so much is the climate of Sochi. The average daily temperature there in February is almost 50 degrees F! Therefore they're having to bring in a huge amount of snowmaking equipment etc. Not to mention the fact there wasn't much infrastructure in place either.

It really is ridiculous that Putin ever put Sochi up for the Winter Games in the first place. And that the IOC awarded it to them.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
One reason it's costing so much is the climate of Sochi. The average daily temperature there in February is almost 50 degrees F! Therefore they're having to bring in a huge amount of snowmaking equipment etc. Not to mention the fact there wasn't much infrastructure in place either.

It really is ridiculous that Putin ever put Sochi up for the Winter Games in the first place. And that the IOC awarded it to them.

The Caucasus is cold enough, there is usually a lot of snow. But last winter was very little snow, so the Russians had taken the precautions.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/s...-olympics-in-sochi-russia.html?pagewanted=all

But the Russian invasion was unprovoked. They didn't have planes flying into buildings in their largest cities sent by Bin Laden. Not the same at all.

Still. it is Russia who got the last laugh. Now it is the United States that is stuck with the impossible task of trying to bring some kind of order to that morass of tribal bellicosity.

No doubt we will continue the principles that have guided U.S. Middle-eastern policy for fifty years. Give weapons to both sides of every conflict, then act surprised when those weapons are used to kill Americans.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
A far better reason to boycott the Sochi Olympics is the atrocious human rights abuses taking place in Russia, highlighted by the recent passage of draconian anti-gay laws, including one that would imprison anyone who publicly supports LGBT people, and the astounding posthumous conviction of Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian whistle-blower that Russian authorities tortured to death. The most recent London Olympics had a record number of openly LGB athletes (unfortunately, there were no openly trans athletes). Any openly LGB athletes in Sochi, however, would be violating Russian law and subject to torture and worse. True, the Russian authorities are likely to look the other way for the athletes, and possibly the tourists who are there for the games. I mean, as the Magnitsky conviction proved, the rule of law in Russia is a make-it-up-as-you-go-along situation. But why put any of our athletes and visitors at risk?

And those are just the glaring human rights abuses that took place in Russia in the past few weeks. Earlier this year, Russia had a massive crackdown on NGOs that receive foreign funding. Harassing them with a new legal ban, official audits, and pro-Putin youth groups that violently attacked their offices. The targets includes charity groups and human rights groups, many of which are now unable to perform their function at a time when they're needed more than ever. If Russia is that hostile to foreign money and perceived foreign agents, why send them any?

And for those who say politics and sports shouldn't mix, that is an absurd and craven notion. Politics is intrinsic to sports, especially the Olympics. The original and supposedly goal of the Olympics is to encourage world peace and harmony among the nations and their people. To use the games to bolster a regime whose policies and priorities are antithetical to peace and human dignity is a nauseating contradiction.

Senator Lindsey Graham, of course, is a despicable bidet of a man whose public positions and personal life have lots in common with Putin's Russia. That he would suggest a boycott of the Sochi games to crack down on a whistle blower (something Putin violently approves of when it comes to his own citizens) is hilarious irony on multiple levels.

Real talk, though, there will be no boycott of the games. Russia is now far too important a business and military partner to most countries, including the US, to directly antagonize by crapping on something their diminutive leader has set his little heart on. Graham knows this. His headline-grabbing bluster is designed to give himself political cover among the tea party xenophobes because he helped shepherd comprehensive immigration reform as part of the gang of eight. Yes, that vile man can do something sort of right, when the interests of him and his party are on the line. That he would follow it up by reverting to an evil rodeo clown is entirely expected.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still. it is Russia who got the last laugh. Now it is the United States that is stuck with the impossible task of trying to bring some kind of order to that morass of tribal bellicosity.

No doubt we will continue the principles that have guided U.S. Middle-eastern policy for fifty years. Give weapons to both sides of every conflict, then act surprised when those weapons are used to kill Americans.

How is it that Russia got the last laugh? The Russian's getting there butt kicked in Afghanistan was the final nail in the coffin for the old Soviet Union.

How is it that Russia got the last laugh? The Russian's getting there butt kicked in Afghanistan was the final nail in the coffin for the old Soviet Union.

An interesting point. Do you think that Russia is better off or worse off without so many foreign entanglements and without the apparatus of the old Soviet Union?

gmyers

Record Breaker

What was a big reason for soviet problems? United states funding of mujahadeen which turned into Taliban which got the us into Afghanistan and than bogged the US down!

gmyers

Record Breaker
An interesting point. Do you think that Russia is better off or worse off without so many foreign entanglements and without the apparatus of the old Soviet Union?

I think much better! Soviet union felt it had to invade Czechoslovakia Hungary give tons of money to Cuba and subsidize so many communist regimes and revolutions and just be everywhere! Now it has some financial obligations like say Ukraine oil or whatever but it is so much freer!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not so sure about being much more free then when they were communist especially under Putin. They seem to be going backwards again.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I'm not so sure about being much more free then when they were communist especially under Putin. They seem to be going backwards again.

I didn't mean it that way. Just free of international obligation to communist countries, rebels, revolutions etc.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
time to move this thread to politics section
nothing FS realted to this now :)

@JohnCoughlinUSA's tweets in reaction:

Senator Graham, please refrain from speaking for the American athlete or volunteering us for your politics.
2:14 PM - 17 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/JohnCoughlinUSA/statuses/357609353215348736

Notes dropped in the suggestion box carry little weight when from a senator whose govt. does not financially support Olympic athletes
4:33 PM - 17 Jul 13
https://twitter.com/JohnCoughlinUSA/statuses/357644345530257410

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
A far better reason to boycott the Sochi Olympics is the atrocious human rights abuses taking place in Russia, highlighted by the recent passage of draconian anti-gay laws, including one that would imprison anyone who publicly supports LGBT people, and the astounding posthumous conviction of Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian whistle-blower that Russian authorities tortured to death.

Senator Lindsey Graham, of course, is a despicable biget of a man whose public positions and personal life have lots in common with Putin's Russia. That he would suggest a boycott of the Sochi games to crack down on a whistle blower (something Putin violently approves of when it comes to his own citizens) is hilarious irony on multiple levels.

Yeah, that really is rich.