Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden) | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I still don't think we should boycott, for the athletes' sake. But I wish this Olympic Games was anywhere but Russia.

I truly love and appreciate and respect Russian culture. But IMO Putin is destroying this country, or at least its international reputation. His antigay legislation is a disgrace, his jailing and destruction of his political opponents is immoral, and his decision to shelter Snowden is not only deeply hypocritical but also beyond insulting to the U.S.

Russians know what it's like when the country they are living in is being destroyed!! Lol! Last years or so soviet union first years of Russia under Yeltsin - or maybe always under yeltsin. Not even Talking about the nazi invasion! This just goes to show the whole longevity of Putin in power. Comparisons to recent history!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If that idiot Snowden thought it was bad here i hope he enjoys mother Russia and all her "freedoms" :laugh: He just better not piss off Putin or he will be in deep ****.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If that idiot Snowden thought it was bad here i hope he enjoys mother Russia and all her "freedoms" :laugh: He just better not piss off Putin or he will be in deep ****.

same, your emails are already compromised but then again I read a recent survey , most Americans are actually indifferent to government spying and in some ways welcome government intrusion to 'feel safe', maybe he was wrong for exposing it in the first place as most Americans are unhappy with his cause and prefer government spy on them :eek:hwell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twqyvw-h3ns
about Russia, he already got an offer for a job from Pavel Durov, founder of vk ( Russian facebook )
if you have an account you can register and maybe you can find snowden :think:

same, your emails are already compromised but then again I read a recent survey , most Americans are actually indifferent to government spying and in some ways welcome government intrusion to 'feel safe', maybe he was wrong for exposing it in the first place as most Americans are unhappy with his cause and prefer government spy on them :eek:hwell:

I think most Americans are simply apathetic and consider this to be a non-issue. Everyone knows that the CIA, FBI, PDQ and everybody else (not to mention Microsoft, Google, etc.) are spying on them all the time. It is a little startling to realize the scope of this activity -- hundreds of billions of data on virtually every American -- but, oh well.

As for the politicians, they don't care either. They make speeches in the hope that something they say will fit on a bumper sticker for the next election.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have to stress that the US spying on Americans is nothing new. Check out J. Edgar Hoover and his FBI's spying activities on Martin Luther King, the Quakers, civil rights leaders in general, and anti-war groups. Endless files were created. The difference today is that we have more extensive spying through better technology; that's all.

I don't like that our government is spying on us. But in order to call attention to that, has this Snowden given information about us to the Russians? Gee, that makes me feel a lot more relaxed.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm sensing a real life 007 movie is in the making. Snowden will probably have to hide and run from CIA for the rest of his life.:p

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I have to stress that the US spying on Americans is nothing new. Check out J. Edgar Hoover and his FBI's spying activities on Martin Luther King, the Quakers, civil rights leaders in general, and anti-war groups. Endless files were created. The difference today is that we have more extensive spying through better technology; that's all.

you should sign in for a vk account
there are already 10 fake Snowden and parody accounts :laugh:

I don't like that our government is spying on us. But in order to call attention to that, has this Snowden given information about us to the Russians?

Yes. Now Mr. Putin knows that I called my Aunt Tilly three times in the month of July and my favorite Internet site is something called Golden Skate.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes. Now Mr. Putin knows that I called my Aunt Tilly three times in the month of July and my favorite Internet site is something called Golden Skate.

but it's not only american records that they have, maybe they have mine too :)

bestskate8

On the Ice
I still don't think we should boycott, for the athletes' sake. But I wish this Olympic Games was anywhere but Russia.

I truly love and appreciate and respect Russian culture. But IMO Putin is destroying this country, or at least its international reputation. His antigay legislation is a disgrace, his jailing and destruction of his political opponents is immoral, and his decision to shelter Snowden is not only deeply hypocritical but also beyond insulting to the U.S.

:rolleye:

When the last time you have been to Russia? Do you know every citizen in Russia has a chance to vote for president? Putin got around 65% in 2012! Do you have a chance in US to vote for your president?--> You have a good show on TV, but no chance to put your vote in a box :p

This legislation could be disgrace for you, but it got almost 100% votes in Russian parliament. 99% Russians are happy about it, do you really think 140 000 000 Russians are wrong. :laugh:

This is not antigay legislation, it is legislation “prohibiting propaganda of homosexuality to minors” and it was enacted on June 30. It’s an amendment to the law “On protecting children from information harmful to their health and development”. If it is not important to US citizens, it doesn't mean it is not important to Russians. In many Russian people minds homosexualism is related to criminals, who have been to jail.
Multicultural Russia has her own history, cultural roots, fundamentals and way of development, and nobody from western world has no rights to dictate to 140000000 Russians how to build healthy society.
Western dictators gain only hate towards them from Russian people by interfering in internal affairs.

This is from Russian officials:

http://rt.com/news/russia-olympics-gay-law-948/

“It bears remembering that this legislation has nothing to do with discrimination against sexual minorities, which, as any other discrimination, is absolutely prohibited by the Constitution of the Russian Federation. The amendments have been adopted solely for the sake of protecting children, who can be too young to objectively and critically assess the information forced upon them, which might do harm to their psyche and imbed distorted perceptions concerning human relations,” Dolgov said.

I really want to know how many people in US will disagree with bolded part

bestskate8

On the Ice

Russia has much more freedoms then you in US, just as a fact

I think most Americans are simply apathetic and consider this to be a non-issue. Everyone knows that the CIA, FBI, PDQ and everybody else (not to mention Microsoft, Google, etc.) are spying on them all the time. It is a little startling to realize the scope of this activity -- hundreds of billions of data on virtually every American -- but, oh well.

As for the politicians, they don't care either. They make speeches in the hope that something they say will fit on a bumper sticker for the next election.

see, it is ok and non-issue for Americans for spying on them, it is ok for gay propaganda for minors, it is ok to dictate others what to do...where does it take you ALL( Americans)!:)

I'm sensing a real life 007 movie is in the making. Snowden will probably have to hide and run from CIA for the rest of his life.:p

As many Russian criminals hiding and running now in US, now you got the feel what Russians feel for many years. The difference is your democratic media never told you about it, but Russian media IS OPEN!:p

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia has always been a backwards country. All you have to do is look at their history and we know Putin wishes for the good ole days of the Soviet Union. As for the Russian media no doubt they are still state run and are told to tow the line and kiss Putin's ring.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Russia has always been a backwards country. All you have to do is look at their history and we know Putin wishes for the good ole days of the Soviet Union. As for the Russian media no doubt they are still state run and are told to tow the line and kiss Putin's ring.

are you from the American midwest ?
then you need to learn history they were behind the renaissance because of the mongol yoke, they were heavily fighting in the east even as in 14th century
if there was no Russia the European borders would be so totally different with the mongol horde in it :) and a backwards country that not even Hitler or Napoleon could conquer

:rolleye:

When the last time you have been to Russia? Do you know every citizen in Russia has a chance to vote for president? Putin got around 65% in 2012! Do you have a chance in US to vote for your president?--> You have a good show on TV, but no chance to put your vote in a box :p

This legislation could be disgrace for you, but it got almost 100% votes in Russian parliament. 99% Russians are happy about it, do you really think 140 000 000 Russians are wrong. :laugh:

its more around 80-88% disapproval not 99%
actually most russians aho are not happy the "proaganda" is more about the irritance that they see the LGBT does
for example during WWII commemoration it is one of Russias biggest holidays, LGBT community would go to the tomb of the unknown soldier
a war memorial present in many russian cities, many russians are still not acceptable of them laying flowers w/ a rainbow flag on it or going to tomb of unknown soldier and kissing their in public, it is considered very unacceptable/desceration and you will find yourself in trouble

yesterday there is a video in vk about a lone 3rd gender who went to the Russian Paratroopers Day with a rainbow flag shouting
this is a day were the navy goes to the park and party with alchohol and some bring tehir wives and children
he was rounded out up but luckily we is not beaten up by them ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8B20cige_Fo

note: Russia is still a very macho dominated society even morso than the US and if you go to the south (caucasus) is even worst

...do you really think 140 000 000 Russians are wrong. :laugh:

I do think that it is possible for the majority of the population to be wrong.

Democracy has two goals. Rule of the majority and protection if the rights of minorities and individuals. When these two principles are in conflict, we've got a problem.

I can't fault someone for being proud of his or her country, but I'm sorry that so many Russians perceive that gays are responsible for a lot of the crime. My perception is that most crimes of violence, including gang wars, mass killings committed by drug cartels, and plain old personal attacks, are committed by macho sorts. Unless anyone thinks that hordes of rampaging, alcohol-fueled soccer hooligans, for example, are all gay. If any country locks up all of its homosexuals in the hopes of lowering the violent crime rate, citizens there are going to be in for a surprise.

Whatever argument about Putin's regulation that one wants to use--religious beliefs, a rejection of Western values--the argument about crime has no logic to it.

Icey

Record Breaker
Whatever your sexuality, go at your own risk . There will be trouble.

Matilda

Medalist
Johnny and Blake Skjellerup on CNN this morning: http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/03/olympians-jeer-russias-anti-gay-law/

The two are very much in agreement that for gay athletes to go to Sochi, to compete, and be themselves is a statement in and of itself.

Regarding this demand (brought up in this interview and floated on gay blogs) that gay athletes should make a "public statement" in Sochi: if the athletes did actually plan some sort of statement, what would be the point of advertising it for the whole world ahead of time? It would only give Russia a reason to deny them a visa, or their home federation might deem it too dangerous to send them to the Olympics under the circumstances. And seriously, should Johnny qualify, he really doesn't need a rainbow flag to announce that he's gay and proud of it--everyone following figure skating, in Russia and elsewhere, knows it! His presence really would be the ideal statement. Now, should Johnny qualify, the USOC could make a statement by choosing him to bear the US flag in the opening ceremony, and New Zealand could o the same with Blake :)

bestskate8

On the Ice
I do think that it is possible for the majority of the population to be wrong.

This is so American :)

Democracy has two goals. Rule of the majority and protection if the rights of minorities and individuals. When these two principles are in conflict, we've got a problem.

exactly! Russians want to protect their children! and there is no conflict!

Russian media doesn't show or writes about western buzz on new legislation at all, because if they do, Russian people will develop hate and be more violent towards gays. Foreign intervention in the last couple of years already brought up violence.
People in Caucuses could pull out swords and shashki if law will be breached !:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do2vsNz-Ync

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bNfACTmoLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nCT93kiaxw

This is the place for Olympics in Sochi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EX4-lpgBU8

By the way Putin got over 90% votes in Caucuses in 2012.

This is how Caucuses people voted for president in Russia, everyone has a chance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg1pcEdRfsQ