Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

Here's a follow-up.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...8107/#52718107

Emphasizing that NSA leaker Edward Snowden isn’t a patriot, President Obama said he had called for a review of surveillance operations well before Snowden leaked any information.
    Sure you did, Mr. President. You just forgot to tell anyone about it until Snowden spilled the beans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here's a follow-up.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...8107/#52718107

Sure you did, Mr. President. You just forgot to tell anyone about it until Snowden spilled the beans.
    What's the matter? Through this surveillance program, you probably have already escaped from hundreds of terrorist attacks. You didn't do anything harm anyone. Why worry? There are just somethings that cannot be transparent to everybody. If you know it, the terrorists know it too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    What's the matter? Through this surveillance program, you probably have already escaped from hundreds of terrorist attacks. You didn't do anything harm anyone. Why worry? There are just somethings that cannot be transparent to everybody. If you know it, the terrorists know it too.
    In this I have to say I'm inclined to agree with you, Bluebonnet. I don't think the government can show its hand in every case, because the stakes are too high. The ethics force lawmakers to tread a fine line, and in this case it's impossible to please everyone. I read something today that said that the Republicans in Washington are angry at Obama for not defending the surveillance program more staunchly. And they're the antigovernment party!

This is one reason I'm angry at Snowden. Had he just shown up and said that the U.S. is checking phone records, I'd have thought, okay, he's a whistle blower. But what computer files did he bring to China and Russia? Has he endangered people living here in the U.S.? What gives him that right?

^ I am not so worried about that, Olympia. I seriously doubt that Snowden knows anything that the Chinese and Russian version of the CIA didn't already know.

To me, the most interesting point is that this one insignificant individual has the White House and everyone else in an uproar. It goes to show that one person can make a difference after all, for good or ill.
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-12-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Custom Title
    I believe what Snowden has revealed to other countries are far more damaging to US than you think. Otherwise, US won't be so mad and desperate.

Nah, President Obama ended up with egg on his face. That's all he's mad about.

Custom Title
    I hope you are right. I am afraid of the safety of US because of such massive leaking of top classified info by idiotic Snowden.

My understanding of the nature of these records is that they were basically the complete list of all phone calls and emails made and received by all United States citizens in the last year or so. The U.S. government hoped to be able to identify patterns that would be of use in spotting terrorist attacks in the planning stage. I think this would work only after they have identified suspects that they wanted to keep an eye on. The government has been strangely silent in identifying even a single terrorist attack that was thwarted by the use of these data (that information is too hush-hush to share with the American public, no doubt.)

That is the part that scares me a little, together with the colossal scope and scale of the operation. The position of the government is that the people can never question what the government does, because it would be a disaster if government secrets came out. That much is true – if all the secret shenanigans of the government were made public that would indeed be a disaster for public office holders.

In a democracy the people have a right to know what their elected leaders are up to.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10