Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    and im sure team russia/putin doesn't really care if team US will be there or not.. they will probably gonna' say.. go ahead.. LOL!
    Exactly! The Olympic games will go on and there will be less competitions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Exactly! The Olympic games will go on and there will be less competitions.
    agreed it will be worthless and a total loss for US, potential gold there for Davis/White and Gracie Gold could be gone
    while less competition for Japan, Russia and Canada

knowing Russia, they couldn't care less, maybe less competition for them

Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    The Snowden affair doesn't rise to the level of the Soviets invading Afghanistan in '79, and will probably blow over by the time of the Olympics anyway.
    And now the Russians are out and the U.S. is in. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Am I the only one who thinks Snowden is hot?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Snowden is hot?
    he looks like a geek version of Alexander Skarsgard

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    ridiculous..

and im sure team russia/putin doesn't really care if team US will be there or not.. they will probably gonna' say.. go ahead.. LOL!
    I read in the economist the Russians are spending $50 billion on Sochi, making it the most expensive Olympics yet, more than Beijing 2008 or London 2012. I always thought summer games cost more to produce, but apparently Putin is sparing no expense in Sochi. Any boycot would be a big blow to the games and to Sochi. But for one, the US won't do it. If we did, no other country would join the US. A lot of countries opposed the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in '79, while I doubt any other country is upset over the snowden affair. Also, if I remember correctly, the Russians got back at the US for the Moscow boycot by boycotting the LA games in 1984

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    And now the Russians are out and the U.S. is in. The more things change the more they stay the same.
    But the Russian invasion was unprovoked. They didn't have planes flying into buildings in their largest cities sent by Bin Laden. Not the same at all.

Kelly Whiteside ‏@KellyWhiteside 52m

USOC says they strongly oppose boycott of Sochi Olympics because of Snowden, citing 1980, saying they do not work

Custom Title
    I could see boycotting the Olympics back in 1936 in Germany but even then Jessie Owens threw Hitlers aryan superiority right back into his face. That was the best way to get back at him.

Custom Title
    Possible contender for homeland security secretary Jane harman also said something about Sochi and snowden and shes a democrat. I believe all the money over tv has already been spent and Russia would lose money only by the athletes not being there and merchandising i think. Like there was lots of Moscow merchandise that went unbought in the west like that misha? Merchandise. Afghanistan was December 1979 so there is still lots of time for something else! Lol!! Afghanistan had a communist government that was failing and it was always the soviet story that they were Invited to restore order. But then They killed that guy!

I just read, Putin doesn't like Snowden. "The Russian head of state as unacceptable any activity that could harm the Russian-American relations."

Medalist
    Foreign politics is a vanity enterprise for Sen. Lindsay Graham. He is prone to dubious posturing on international affairs - this looks like more of the same. No one in the US government who matters, including the President, supports this idea. I wouldn't waste any energy worrying about a boycott. Certainly not over Edward Snowden.

Custom Title
    I read in the economist the Russians are spending $50 billion on Sochi, making it the most expensive Olympics yet, more than Beijing 2008 or London 2012. I always thought summer games cost more to produce, but apparently Putin is sparing no expense in Sochi.
    One reason it's costing so much is the climate of Sochi. The average daily temperature there in February is almost 50 degrees F! Therefore they're having to bring in a huge amount of snowmaking equipment etc. Not to mention the fact there wasn't much infrastructure in place either.

It really is ridiculous that Putin ever put Sochi up for the Winter Games in the first place. And that the IOC awarded it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    One reason it's costing so much is the climate of Sochi. The average daily temperature there in February is almost 50 degrees F! Therefore they're having to bring in a huge amount of snowmaking equipment etc. Not to mention the fact there wasn't much infrastructure in place either.

It really is ridiculous that Putin ever put Sochi up for the Winter Games in the first place. And that the IOC awarded it to them.
    The Caucasus is cold enough, there is usually a lot of snow. But last winter was very little snow, so the Russians had taken the precautions.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/sp...pagewanted=all

But the Russian invasion was unprovoked. They didn't have planes flying into buildings in their largest cities sent by Bin Laden. Not the same at all.
    Still. it is Russia who got the last laugh. Now it is the United States that is stuck with the impossible task of trying to bring some kind of order to that morass of tribal bellicosity.

No doubt we will continue the principles that have guided U.S. Middle-eastern policy for fifty years. Give weapons to both sides of every conflict, then act surprised when those weapons are used to kill Americans.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast