Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    A far better reason to boycott the Sochi Olympics is the atrocious human rights abuses taking place in Russia, highlighted by the recent passage of draconian anti-gay laws, including one that would imprison anyone who publicly supports LGBT people, and the astounding posthumous conviction of Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian whistle-blower that Russian authorities tortured to death. The most recent London Olympics had a record number of openly LGB athletes (unfortunately, there were no openly trans athletes). Any openly LGB athletes in Sochi, however, would be violating Russian law and subject to torture and worse. True, the Russian authorities are likely to look the other way for the athletes, and possibly the tourists who are there for the games. I mean, as the Magnitsky conviction proved, the rule of law in Russia is a make-it-up-as-you-go-along situation. But why put any of our athletes and visitors at risk?

And those are just the glaring human rights abuses that took place in Russia in the past few weeks. Earlier this year, Russia had a massive crackdown on NGOs that receive foreign funding. Harassing them with a new legal ban, official audits, and pro-Putin youth groups that violently attacked their offices. The targets includes charity groups and human rights groups, many of which are now unable to perform their function at a time when they're needed more than ever. If Russia is that hostile to foreign money and perceived foreign agents, why send them any?

And for those who say politics and sports shouldn't mix, that is an absurd and craven notion. Politics is intrinsic to sports, especially the Olympics. The original and supposedly goal of the Olympics is to encourage world peace and harmony among the nations and their people. To use the games to bolster a regime whose policies and priorities are antithetical to peace and human dignity is a nauseating contradiction.

Senator Lindsey Graham, of course, is a despicable bidet of a man whose public positions and personal life have lots in common with Putin's Russia. That he would suggest a boycott of the Sochi games to crack down on a whistle blower (something Putin violently approves of when it comes to his own citizens) is hilarious irony on multiple levels.

Real talk, though, there will be no boycott of the games. Russia is now far too important a business and military partner to most countries, including the US, to directly antagonize by crapping on something their diminutive leader has set his little heart on. Graham knows this. His headline-grabbing bluster is designed to give himself political cover among the tea party xenophobes because he helped shepherd comprehensive immigration reform as part of the gang of eight. Yes, that vile man can do something sort of right, when the interests of him and his party are on the line. That he would follow it up by reverting to an evil rodeo clown is entirely expected.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Still. it is Russia who got the last laugh. Now it is the United States that is stuck with the impossible task of trying to bring some kind of order to that morass of tribal bellicosity.

No doubt we will continue the principles that have guided U.S. Middle-eastern policy for fifty years. Give weapons to both sides of every conflict, then act surprised when those weapons are used to kill Americans.
    How is it that Russia got the last laugh? The Russian's getting there butt kicked in Afghanistan was the final nail in the coffin for the old Soviet Union.

Banned
    time to move this thread to politics section
    nothing FS realted to this now

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    How is it that Russia got the last laugh? The Russian's getting there butt kicked in Afghanistan was the final nail in the coffin for the old Soviet Union.
    An interesting point. Do you think that Russia is better off or worse off without so many foreign entanglements and without the apparatus of the old Soviet Union?

Custom Title
    What was a big reason for soviet problems? United states funding of mujahadeen which turned into Taliban which got the us into Afghanistan and than bogged the US down!

Custom Title
    An interesting point. Do you think that Russia is better off or worse off without so many foreign entanglements and without the apparatus of the old Soviet Union?
    I think much better! Soviet union felt it had to invade Czechoslovakia Hungary give tons of money to Cuba and subsidize so many communist regimes and revolutions and just be everywhere! Now it has some financial obligations like say Ukraine oil or whatever but it is so much freer!

Custom Title
    I'm not so sure about being much more free then when they were communist especially under Putin. They seem to be going backwards again.

Custom Title
    I'm not so sure about being much more free then when they were communist especially under Putin. They seem to be going backwards again.
    I didn't mean it that way. Just free of international obligation to communist countries, rebels, revolutions etc.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    time to move this thread to politics section
    nothing FS realted to this now
    @JohnCoughlinUSA's tweets in reaction:

Senator Graham, please refrain from speaking for the American athlete or volunteering us for your politics.
    2:14 PM - 17 Jul 13
    https://twitter.com/JohnCoughlinUSA/...09353215348736

Notes dropped in the suggestion box carry little weight when from a senator whose govt. does not financially support Olympic athletes
    4:33 PM - 17 Jul 13
    https://twitter.com/JohnCoughlinUSA/...44345530257410

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    A far better reason to boycott the Sochi Olympics is the atrocious human rights abuses taking place in Russia, highlighted by the recent passage of draconian anti-gay laws, including one that would imprison anyone who publicly supports LGBT people, and the astounding posthumous conviction of Sergei Magnitsky, a Russian whistle-blower that Russian authorities tortured to death.

Senator Lindsey Graham, of course, is a despicable biget of a man whose public positions and personal life have lots in common with Putin's Russia. That he would suggest a boycott of the Sochi games to crack down on a whistle blower (something Putin violently approves of when it comes to his own citizens) is hilarious irony on multiple levels.
    Yeah, that really is rich.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    What was a big reason for soviet problems? United states funding of mujahadeen which turned into Taliban which got the us into Afghanistan and than bogged the US down!
    Now the U.S. has begun supplying weapons to al-Qaeda in Syria.

Custom Title
    Uhh... yeahh why don't you do just that Senator, that will sure show them 'real' justice and the American way!

I do wonder often the idiocy and the hypocrisy of these so called politicians elect. You do get those odd little ones all over the world that makes you goes umm.. I can't believe people actually took the trouble to vote for that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Uhh... yeahh why don't you do just that Senator, that will sure show them 'real' justice and the American way!

I do wonder often the idiocy and the hypocrisy of these so called politicians elect. You do get those odd little ones all over the world that makes you goes umm.. I can't believe people actually took the trouble to vote for that guy.
    If you want to know why people voted for Senator Graham, here is his own official website. You can see his comments the Olympics right under his views about Obama's national health care plan and what he thinks about the Supreme Court's decision regarding the "Defense of Marriage" act.

http://www.lgraham.senate.gov/public/

Custom Title
    If you want to know why people voted for Senator Graham, here is his own official website. You can see his comments the Olympics right under his views about Obama's national health care plan and what he thinks about the Supreme Court's decision regarding the "Defense of Marriage" act.

http://www.lgraham.senate.gov/public/
    My initial thought, why would I want to visit the propaganda site of a man who seems to be an idiot who couldn't tell the difference between proportionate response and are punishing US athletes who trains their entire life for the Olympics, which in the spirit of games should never be a political platform in the interest of fair play and solidarity. The Olympic movement should never become a topic to punish Russia, a mouthing piece for political sensationalism.

However, out of respect for you Mathman, I did click on the link and saw the youtube interview. Yeb, I now knows for sure that he IS an idiot.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    The Olympics is intrinsically political. In both ancient and modern times, it was conducted with the aspiration of stopping wars. While I vehemently disagree with Senator Graham's reason for boycotting the games, I would fully support a boycott of the Sochi games. Human rights in Russia, never robust to begin with, have taken a drastic turn for the worse this year. The regime should be punished.

And if the athletes really trained their whole lives for the Olympics, then they trained their whole lives for an event that encourages peace, harmony, fairness and respect for one another, not one that bolsters and legitimizes an administration that perpetrates horrors on citizens and foreigners. If the distinction doesn't matter to some of those athletes, then their dreams don't deserve to be realized.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast