Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden) | Golden Skate

Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible? (Snowden)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sochi Games boycott by U.S. possible??: Sen. Graham's idea if Snowden receives asylum

ETA, I see now that The Hill originally reported Sen. Graham's idea. (UPI did nothing more than cite The Hill.)
Sen. Graham suggests US boycott Winter Olympics in Russia over Snowden
By Jeremy Herb, Julian Pecquet and Justin Sink - 07/16/13 08:31 PM ET
http://thehill.com/blogs/global-aff...ider-boycott-of-russian-olympics-over-snowden

Graham: US should consider Olympic boycott over possible Snowden asylum
U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has suggested that the U.S. boycott the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, if NSA leaker Edward Snowden is granted temporary asylum in the country.
By Kasie Hunt and Kelly O'Donnell, NBC News (Jul 17)
http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...-olympic-boycott-over-possible-snowden-asylum

Lindsey Graham Wants to Ruin the 2014 Olympics Over Edward Snowden

Snowden told the truth. If President Obama is embarrassed by the truth then he should rethink his policies.

As for Senator Graham's proposal to punish American athletes, that requires no comment.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For God sakes keep politics out of the Olympics. If Obama pulls a Jimmy Carter and boycotts he should just resign.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Could not agree more; this is a ridiculous suggestion. Let's hope it comes to nothing.

I think it is generally understood that the 1980/1984 boycotts had absolutely no substantive effect on the international political situation and served only to hurt the athletes involved.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That's one senator's puffed up opinion...I wouldn't pay it much mind.

Besides, the Olympics are about the athletes and the spirit of competition...they have nothing to do with whatever political hoopla is the flavor of the week. If that was the case the US would have boycotted the Beijing games in 2008...IIRC the US isn't too crazy about some of China's policies.

b-man

Final Flight
The boycott won't happen. The Snowden affair doesn't rise to the level of the Soviets invading Afghanistan in '79, and will probably blow over by the time of the Olympics anyway.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:laugh: chickening out ??? No way for one person who is blown out of major proportion by the media and useless people in the senate
well that will give Russia, Canada and Japan just more sweet medals in FS :)

96skiluvr

On the Ice
I understand the reasoning, but politicians really need to keep politics out of sports. First of all, U.S. athletes typically are one of the top 3 nations in the medal standings. Second, they need to think about the moral and ethical part of this. For some athletes, this may be their only chance to go to the Olympics - should their potential Olympic glory be wiped away because politicians let politics mettle in sports? What about the athletes who have dreamed of going to the Olympics since they first started their sport (for instance, this is most likely Ashley Wagner's only/last chance to make the Olympic team that she's so desperately wanted to do) - should their dreams be wiped away because of politics?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
agreed if we were to include both politics and sports shouldn't we boycotting too
US competition held sports over Guantanamo, Afghanistan, Iraq etc. ?

these silly no good politicians only care about themselves
its the athlete that counts and I believe most athletes would dream of going to any Olympics

prettykeys

Medalist
Snowden told the truth. If President Obama is embarrassed by the truth then he should rethink his policies.

As for Senator Graham's proposal to punish American athletes, that requires no comment.
I Totally Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
For God sakes keep politics out of the Olympics. If Obama pulls a Jimmy Carter and boycotts he should just resign.

Sounds good to me. Wishfull thinking though, the guy loves to live and travel like a king on our dime. Putin is not losing any sleep over this, in fact he might prefer it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I say capture Snowden who should be captured in other ways. Leave the athletes alone for God's sake! They've worked so hard for it!

cooper

Medalist
ridiculous..

most republicans don't like the idea of hollywood talking about politics..that they should stay away.. and yet here comes a republican senator asking the US olympic team to boycott sochi which has nothing to do about politics either.. so much hypocrisy..

and im sure team russia/putin doesn't really care if team US will be there or not.. they will probably gonna' say.. go ahead.. LOL!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Exactly! The Olympic games will go on and there will be less competitions.;)

agreed it will be worthless and a total loss for US, potential gold there for Davis/White and Gracie Gold could be gone
while less competition for Japan, Russia and Canada

knowing Russia, they couldn't care less, maybe less competition for them

The Snowden affair doesn't rise to the level of the Soviets invading Afghanistan in '79, and will probably blow over by the time of the Olympics anyway.

And now the Russians are out and the U.S. is in. The more things change the more they stay the same.