Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kahindo's was not suitable for the challenge and Zach Posen was not wrong that you can find it on a sale rack in many department stores. That dress could go to the office with a jacket which made it just odd to be showing it with that jewelry.

Of the 3 in the bottom, I thought Kahindo's dress was the best of the 3, not that I thought it was the best. It really kind of irked me that they kept Timothy & Helen. I am not understanding the judges, they say they want something new and pick Kate for the win, I just am not understanding.

louisa05

Final Flight
Of the 3 in the bottom, I thought Kahindo's dress was the best of the 3, not that I thought it was the best. It really kind of irked me that they kept Timothy & Helen. I am not understanding the judges, they say they want something new and pick Kate for the win, I just am not understanding.

I think, though, that they let Helen through because the design was not a bad concept. She just didn't manage to execute it which was a time issue. So letting her through leaves racer back front sustainable freak show vs. boring not quite meeting the challenge dress...and at this early stage, they are always going to keep the freak show when it comes down to that choice. Plus it has consistently, every single season been the case that a boring piece that can be found on the rack at any major department store is going to go before an "original" train wreck. I'm not even sure that means the judges like the train wrecks like Timothy's dress, rather that they hold on to hope that that creativity can be channeled while the boring department store look shows a lack of creativity to begin with.

I didn't like any of the dresses this week. The winner was supposed to look like Marie Antoinette wrapped herself in a bed sheet. It did.

Helen cried, sobbed, and begged her way into staying, then had the nerve to tell the other designers, just take the criticism humbly and don't say anything.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I didn't like any of the dresses this week. The winner was supposed to look like Marie Antoinette wrapped herself in a bed sheet. It did.

Helen cried, sobbed, and begged her way into staying, then had the nerve to tell the other designers, just take the criticism humbly and don't say anything.

I had the same thought about Helen but I have a feeling that what Sandro said about Timothy didn't come across in the edit of the show. I think if we watched his whole critique we would probably see more of what Sandro was talking about - interrupting the judges and coming up with bizarre excuses. Also, in Helen's defense, I thought she came across as kind to Timothy, sort of putting a kind spin on Sandro's blunt, unsolicited advice.

Speaking of Sandro .... YUCK. The more the I see that look the less I like it. I think he's a poor man's version of Dmitry, the winner two seasons ago. True, there was more design in the look that some of the other safer ones so I suppose that's why he was on the top. but the skirt part was just plain ugly and trashy. Think about it without the top - who'd buy that skirt? At least he didn't win.

I was disappointed that Bradon wasn't in the top three. His look was simple and yet original, especially given that they only had one day. It showed his confidence. And it was just beautiful. I would wear it in a second.

Dom's dress was interesting and fun but could have been even better had she had more time to think it through and execute.

I was happy with Kate's win, especially the more I look at the dress and it's lovely detailing and the luxurious, fantasy feel of it. Yay for her!

I'm not surprised that Khalindo went home over bizarre Timothy and meltdown Helen. They always choose the outfit\ to go home, especially early on when they haven't had a feel for the designer's talent. And especially when it means they can keep an interesting personality on the show longer. It is TV after all. Sometimes this ends with a weak designer somehow making it to the very end of the show until it gets SO tedious, as you know there is no way they are going to win and are just there for the weirdo factor. See Wendy Pepper and Patricia from last season.

Timothy is really cringe-worthy. I'd be curious to see his audition pieces.

They showed some of Timothy's audition pieces the first week, and at a quick glimpse, they looked interesting. But generally, whenever they add a nontraditional designer to the mix (like that guy who did only sweaters last season), the person can't hold up under the demands of a tight schedule and all sorts of technical requirements for a mainline garment. But you never know. Anya had very little sewing experience, but her outsize design talent got her through. The difference is that Anya was able to adapt to the terms of each challenge, whereas Timothy seems to want to adapt each challenge to his requirements.

Patricia was also kind of out of the mainstream, but she had apparently studied some form of tailoring or dressmaking--am I misremembering, or was there an artisan in Italy that she trained with for a time? In any case, her personality was very pleasant, and it was especially lovely to see that home visit with her family and see the traditions she came from. Being in the finals but not winning was just about the right outcome for her. On this topic, I'd like to say how much I enjoy the home visits from all the seasons. So often you see the pride in the family members and/or friends, and their support for their designer. There's also a wonderful honoring of many different kinds of family relationships and ethnic groups, and it's all done in a low-key way without hitting viewers over the head with it. Tim is such a gracious guest; he's the perfect home visitor. It would never work as well if the task went to Heidi or Nina (even though they're actually both from a different culture).

I also hated Sandro's dress. It was rather tawdry, I thought. It used his sewing skills to make something that fought against line and form rather than using them. It was extremely unflattering to a young woman who is probably in the top 3% in terms of looks in this entire country. Imagine how a less gorgeous woman would look in it. His personality isn't very winning, either. (Alas, this practically guarantees that he'll be around for a long time to come.)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
So far, I'm liking Braden & Ken's creations. I don't understand how it is that Sue doesn't know how to use a sewing machine?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Possibly her own machine is very different, and she is not mechanically inclined? Does anyone know whether they give the contestants some time to learn the equipment?

Layfan

Record Breaker
They showed some of Timothy's audition pieces the first week, and at a quick glimpse, they looked interesting. But generally, whenever they add a nontraditional designer to the mix (like that guy who did only sweaters last season), the person can't hold up under the demands of a tight schedule and all sorts of technical requirements for a mainline garment. But you never know. Anya had very little sewing experience, but her outsize design talent got her through. The difference is that Anya was able to adapt to the terms of each challenge, whereas Timothy seems to want to adapt each challenge to his requirements.

Patricia was also kind of out of the mainstream, but she had apparently studied some form of tailoring or dressmaking--am I misremembering, or was there an artisan in Italy that she trained with for a time? In any case, her personality was very pleasant, and it was especially lovely to see that home visit with her family and see the traditions she came from. Being in the finals but not winning was just about the right outcome for her. On this topic, I'd like to say how much I enjoy the home visits from all the seasons. So often you see the pride in the family members and/or friends, and their support for their designer. There's also a wonderful honoring of many different kinds of family relationships and ethnic groups, and it's all done in a low-key way without hitting viewers over the head with it. Tim is such a gracious guest; he's the perfect home visitor. It would never work as well if the task went to Heidi or Nina (even though they're actually both from a different culture).

I also hated Sandro's dress. It was rather tawdry, I thought. It used his sewing skills to make something that fought against line and form rather than using them. It was extremely unflattering to a young woman who is probably in the top 3% in terms of looks in this entire country. Imagine how a less gorgeous woman would look in it. His personality isn't very winning, either. (Alas, this practically guarantees that he'll be around for a long time to come.)

Somehow Anya didn't feel out of the mainstream for me though. She lacked sewing skills and experience and it nearly derailed her toward the end but her aesthetic was fairly mainstream (in a good way, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan.) I was disappointed in her finale showing though. I think she won because it was just a weak season in terms of talent. They simply couldn't proclaim any of the others "America's next star designer" (or whatever the phrase is) because they just weren't. Whereas Anya could be with more experience.

I agree that Patricia's personality was very pleasant I couldn't understand Michelle's grumbling about her. (although Michelle came to change her mind and admit it). And you are right - the home visit was worth her being in the final group.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Possibly her own machine is very different, and she is not mechanically inclined? Does anyone know whether they give the contestants some time to learn the equipment?
The mechanics of most sewing machines are the same....you thread and sew. Most machines also give you the guide for threading.
I just watched the video about Sue and it was because it was an industrial machine, not your regular home sewing machine. I think she just got terrified of the bigger machine and didn't even try. A couple of the other designers said the industrial machine intimidated them ...but you do what you have to.

Layfan said:
Sometimes this ends with a weak designer somehow making it to the very end of the show until it gets SO tedious, as you know there is no way they are going to win and are just there for the weirdo factor. See Wendy Pepper and Patricia from last season.

I don't think Patricia was just there because, as you say, she was a weirdo. I saw a tremendous creative talented person.

Math said:
The winner was supposed to look like Marie Antoinette wrapped herself in a bed sheet. It did.

I totally agree about the winner, Math, you hit the nail on the head.

As a women, I was embarrassed for Helen....manipulation at its finest.

Oh, thanks for pointing out that the problem was that it was an industrial machine. I was thinking that this poor woman had no sewing skills at all, and I wondered what the producers were thinking by letting her onto the show. I like her work, mind you, and I want her to do well. This explains a lot. It also gives me hope that she will figure out how to operate the machine with a little more practice.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A lot of serious sewers use very old machines. My oldest son collects and fixes them as a hobby. I suspect those Brothers machines are a lot different than my mother's WW2 era Singer, which is what he prefers.

I have my mom's old Singer, too. I don't know how to use it, alas, and mostly sew by hand. Those old machines are beautiful, aren't they? I wish I had done what my college friend did and bought a Singer Featherweight to take to school with me. That remains my favorite machine, although the new fancy computerized Husquvarnas and Berninas can do any number of things such as free-motion embroidery.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I much prefer the older machines but they are quite heavy. I have a very, very old cast iron electric machine (could possibly be one of the first electric :laugh:), it is extremely heavy but sews perfect. The newer models I have found to be very touchy. In my older model, I could mix cotton & poly/cotton thread, no problem, the new model machine I have, you have to use just cotton thread.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Thanks for the information on sewing machines...then & now. It's been over 50 years since I used a sewing machine so I guess I'd be mimicing Sue.

heyang

Record Breaker
I didn't think the losing dress was that bad, but it wasn't a good dress for the challenge. All those diamonds demanded a classic evening look - something that would totally enhance the diamonds in stead of over powering.

Kate's probably did the job the best, but I did find some of the bodice ruching distracting.

heyang

Record Breaker
Forgot to also add that I agree that the setting up of machines is relatively the same. From my experience, the main difference between industrial vs home machines are the speed at which they stitch. If you're not used to an industrial machine, the speed can be a bit intimidating, especially if the fabrics are difficult to handle.

Thurs. Aug 1: I really agree with the winning outfit! I almost stood up and cheered when I saw something that didn't look like a disassembled plush toy. That dress was worthy to be on display in Parisian atelier. What contours! The runner-up was cute, playful, and witty, but that winner...I want to sew one for my dolls.

Wasn't that sweet of Sophie to write Timothy a card? We have tended to giggle at him, but it's possible that in person he's much lower key and sweeter. I don't think he's really made for the cutthroat aspect of the fashion world.

I thought that Kate and Helen worked really well as a team, by the way. Kate is turning out to be a wise choice to have been brought back on the show.

Layfan

Record Breaker
It was obvious from the start that Kate and Helen's look was going to win - glorious. Part of me was rooting for the runner-up just to see the judges NOT go for the chic look for once. But the winning look was just too good. I loved the second-place look though. So imaginative. Who thinks up something like that?

I felt completely rotten for Timothy. He was the right choice to go but it was a double punishment to have Miranda trash talk him the way she did. She felt horrible about it but there was no way she could take it back. She did something that people do all the time on that show and in the real world only she got caught and very publicly. So I'd like to think that she will come out better for it.

I don't know anything about making clothes but my gut tells me that Timothy needs to come off his cloud just long enough to get the basics down. Then he can really try to soar. Kelly Osbourne was spot on in calling him out on the simplicity of how he put together the jacket.

Last thought: Gee, what a coincidence that Miranda and Timothy were paired! :rolleye: