Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

This week is activewear, which I don't enjoy mainly because of the colors available in sweat fabric. Oh, well. Someone always manages to surprise me with a design.

Meanwhile, on Bravo, the original PR channel, they seemed to be having a PR marathon this morning. I got to watch some of the episodes from Season 1, one of the best in my estimation, the one with Jay McCarroll, Kara Saun, and Austin Scarlett, three of my favorite designers ever. Jay was wonderful, but I really loved Kara's designs and wanted her to win. And Austin was fabulous; it's splendid that he ended up working for a bridal designer.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, on Bravo, the original PR channel, they seemed to be having a PR marathon this morning. I got to watch some of the episodes from Season 1, one of the best in my estimation, the one with Jay McCarroll, Kara Saun, and Austin Scarlett, three of my favorite designers ever. Jay was wonderful, but I really loved Kara's designs and wanted her to win. And Austin was fabulous; it's splendid that he ended up working for a bridal designer.

Olympia, I was able to watch today as well. One of the things I noticed on Jay's skirt design was the layered look that has been so popular in the last couple of years. Wasn't the original PR about 10 years ago???

Also just wanted to say...tonight I am not getting the judges pick at all.

Well, I did like the jacket. But overall, I would have given the win to the runner-up.

Yes, Jay was on about 10 years ago. His final show was wonderful, though he seems not to have the business sense that one needs to work in fashion. Christian Siriano was clearly the complete package (his year is my other favorite). Kara Saun has had a good career doing red-carpet fashions, dressing other celebrities, and I think doing costumes for television shows, but there's really no recent sign of Jay that I could find online. That futuristic fashion show that was done in Jay and Kara's season was amazing, especially Kara's long coat. I bet she would do knockout steampunk attire.

louisa05

Final Flight
For last night's show, I thought Ken or whatever her name is who made the dropped crotch pants (again) should have been off. Who on earth would buy dropped crotch pants for workout wear? Seriously. And her claims that you could move in them, yeah, no, honey. The model could only stretch as far as the pants were wide. You're not going to be doing yoga, pilates or even just running on a treadmill in those. My favorite workout is a ballet barre class and you aren't going to be getting your leg on the barre in those things.

And Ken's...an awkwardly long tank top and some pants. Whatever.

I loved Kate's jacket. I would have bought that. Helen's winning one, not so much.

For last night's show, I thought Ken or whatever her name is who made the dropped crotch pants (again) should have been off. Who on earth would buy dropped crotch pants for workout wear? Seriously. And her claims that you could move in them, yeah, no, honey. The model could only stretch as far as the pants were wide. You're not going to be doing yoga, pilates or even just running on a treadmill in those. My favorite workout is a ballet barre class and you aren't going to be getting your leg on the barre in those things.

And Ken's...an awkwardly long tank top and some pants. Whatever.

I loved Kate's jacket. I would have bought that. Helen's winning one, not so much.

And what's more, dropped crotch pants are ugly. They make such an unattractive silhouette on anyone, male or female. Not only that, her execution of them was uneven and especially droopy.

I liked Helen's jacket, but I liked Kate's whole ensemble--beautifully thought out and coordinated, and unusually interesting-looking for actionwear. Kate is getting more and more impressive, and it's turned out to be a great idea that she was brought back to the show. She's behaved well, and she's produced beautifully made and creative clothing.

louisa05

Final Flight
And what's more, dropped crotch pants are ugly. They make such an unattractive silhouette on anyone, male or female. Not only that, her execution of them was uneven and especially droopy.

Absolutely! I figured the fact that they were fugly and badly made went without saying. :)

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't know this and am just asking a question. Aren't the hip hop dancers wearing these??

I liked Kate's whole ensemble.

I was surprised that Kate wasn't the winner that's why I said I'm not understanding the judging. Ken should have been sent home just for being nasty. Helen should have been sent home just for being a trouble maker.

I don't know this and am just asking a question. Aren't the hip hop dancers wearing these??

You know, that's a good question. Now that you mention it, I remember there were some earlier hip hop artists wearing similar pants, but the drop section wasn't as abrupt--it flowed with the rest of the lines. And are they still wearing them, or do they just wear loose jeans? Anyway, it didn't work for me at all (or as the Irish say, at all at all) in this outfit.

Layfan

Record Breaker
What I wear to work out are Old Navy tank tops and any gym pants that I find on sale and look somewhat flattering. I hate spending money on gym wear. So this challenge wasn't for me and it kind of bored me. I didn't quite understand the raving about Helen's jacket but I'd be interested to see it up close. Kate's top was really interesting. I wish it was fitted though. Overall, I didn't love the looks but I just don't see how much you can do with workout clothes.

Karen - I didn't mind her pants but wanted to scream at her to make a form fitting top to go with them. HE-LLO. Overall, I barely remember anything she's done.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just wonder why Dom is being overlooked in all the challenges as far as at least winning one challenge. Her whole design is good, not just the jacket.

Dom's design.

heyang

Record Breaker

I was surprised that Kate wasn't the winner that's why I said I'm not understanding the judging. Ken should have been sent home just for being nasty. Helen should have been sent home just for being a trouble maker.

The judges aren't supposed to see or hear about the work room behavior. At least Ken did apologize for his behavior and I believe he was sincere. They are operating on lack of sleep and each stint in the bottom is a dent to the ego, as well.

Even Dom is getting frustrated by being in the middle, as was Sandro. Difficult to know what needs to change without any feedback.

An interesting feature was shown on ABC this morning. It's fashion week, and several black models including Naomi Campbell and Iman pointed out that most of the major designers feature just one person of color (or none at all) in their shows. I realized that Project Runway has a very different approach. Through the years, its models have been very ethnically diverse. (A bit too thin, but that's another issue.) I haven't seen anyone call attention to this fact; it just seems to be done as a matter of course. But now, seeing the statistics about the big fashion shows, I'm thinking that maybe this is a conscious policy on the part of the producers. (And remember, Heidi Klum is one of the producers.) So my hat's off to them.

ETA: I was trying to remember the guy who wore pants like the "poopy pants" in the two outfits of recent weeks. It was M.C. Hammer! I'm not sure that all hip hop artists wore those pants, and of course Hammer was not a dancer but a rapper. I wonder whether the really strenuous acrobatic hip hop dancers have ever worn those pants. They seem both constricting and liable to hide the quality of the movement. How can you get excited about an extreme dance trick if you can't see anything much above the knee? Just a thought.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ETA: I was trying to remember the guy who wore pants like the "poopy pants" in the two outfits of recent weeks. It was M.C. Hammer! I'm not sure that all hip hop artists wore those pants, and of course Hammer was not a dancer but a rapper. I wonder whether the really strenuous acrobatic hip hop dancers have ever worn those pants. They seem both constricting and liable to hide the quality of the movement. How can you get excited about an extreme dance trick if you can't see anything much above the knee? Just a thought.

Olympia, I don't know if you watched SYTYCD last Tuesday but some of the guys had on the poopy pants.

I'm a little surprised that Ken wasn't sent home. They should have sent home both Jeremy & Ken. Although I liked Jeremy's new dress, it was quite simple but doable in an hour. I can see where the judges are getting upset that he hasn't updated his style. I really thought Ken's updated style looked worse than the original dress. I can't image what Ken would do if his customer didn't like his design....poor lady!!!

I'm not sure I thought it was fair to give them an additional hour.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
It seems that if you design a dress with an uneven hemline (I call it ragged) the judges will praise you. I think that look might be ok for a cocktail dress or on the red carpet but not for every day/evening wear. And you wouldn't need more than one dress with that type of hemline in your wardrobe.

Is anybody besides me totally sick of loud plaid patterns? What on earth is it that appeals about that pattern for use anywhere outside of a summerweight shirt or maybe a kilt. I don't care if Alexander MacQueen used them all over the place.

On the other hand, Dom finally had her day in the sun. Good for her! That girl has mad skills and should be in the finals. She's also got a tremendously appealing personality. I am a bit tired of Ken's perpetual self-centered air of injury. If he's lucky enough to get a job in the garment business, he's going to start out at the bottom of the pecking order and be bossed around by everyone, so he should at least cultivate an air of politeness. Whichever parent/guardian/grandparent let him believe that self-confidence was the same as a feeling of entitlement did him a grave disservice.

I know what you mean about not being sure it was fair to give the bottom three an additional hour, but it seems as if the rules are whatever the producers (and maybe the judges) decide. It's their ball and their yard, after all. In any case, it's not as if they took away someone else's first-place standing, and it couldn't have been exactly fun to have an hour to do an entire outfit, so it was at best a mixed blessing. If they had waited to decide on the bottom person until after seeing those three designers' second dresses, that would have been grossly unfair. But as it was structured, I guess this was the equivalent of "dancing for one's life" on So You Think You Can Dance.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they had waited to decide on the bottom person until after seeing those three designers' second dresses, that would have been grossly unfair. But as it was structured, I guess this was the equivalent of "dancing for one's life" on So You Think You Can Dance.

I guess where I felt it was unfair was it took away some of Bradon's glory. It seemed so staged...someone in the bottom 3 wins and gets their dress marketed....doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm sorry but of the bottom 3, Dom would have or should have been saved as well as Ken. Jeremy would have gone home.

That's an interesting point, Dee. I suppose it could have been staged, but one thought that mitigates against that for me is that they couldn't know beforehand that Dom would produce a salable dress. They knew that of the three bottom designers, Dom was the most competent, but that in itself wouldn't guarantee something that the company could market to their profit. She could be off her game that day (that hour!), and they'd have been stuck with a dog of a garment. Everything depended on what Dom could produce in a mere sixty minutes.

Still, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and how much time the judging really takes. Maybe they talked for a few hours and came up with this, or maybe your instincts are right on target and it was a planned event.