Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympia, I understand what you're saying but I'm going to give myself an out here. Was those rules given before this particular competition (9-12-13 airing) began, I may have missed those rules. I didn't know that they said they were going to have 2 winners, 1 from the winners and 1 from the losers. Like I said maybe I didn't hear those specifications. Giving them the extra hour to me was unfair because it produced a winner that would have been safe anyhow...of the 3 in the bottom Dom's dress was the best (plus based on previous designs, she would have been safe), then Ken, then Jeremy and he went home. Are they going to do the same in finale...maybe one of the designers will get an extra day or two or week to fix their collection because they didn't make the right choice to begin with. I love Dom's work but it was she who changed her mind. One day you're in and the next you're out. Not One day you're in and the next you're out but we will give you extra time to make it right?????

I imagine they just enjoy surprising viewers. Remember the times they've come in to the designers during the finale and ordered them to make an additional dress that somehow goes with the rest of their collection? Not to mention the times they've allowed a fourth person into the finals, as they did in Jeffrey and Ulli's season. The producers just like being unpredictable. I'm not defending them; I'm just pointing out that they enjoy a trick now and then.

louisa05

Final Flight
That's an interesting point, Dee. I suppose it could have been staged, but one thought that mitigates against that for me is that they couldn't know beforehand that Dom would produce a salable dress. They knew that of the three bottom designers, Dom was the most competent, but that in itself wouldn't guarantee something that the company could market to their profit. She could be off her game that day (that hour!), and they'd have been stuck with a dog of a garment. Everything depended on what Dom could produce in a mere sixty minutes.

Still, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and how much time the judging really takes. Maybe they talked for a few hours and came up with this, or maybe your instincts are right on target and it was a planned event.

The judging goes on for hours--and the "chatting" with the designers on the runway is way more extensive than what we see. This is clear from things that Tim said the year he did a video blog and in his first book which talks about the show quite a bit. As for time, in general, the designers have even less work time that it appears due to filming disrupting them all the time.

heyang

Record Breaker
It wasn't the 1st time where the bottom were called upon to 'renovate' their outfits. I recall another season where there was a 'design off' to avoid elimination.

I have a feeling that they may have this 'quick design' challenge when the judges really can't come to a decision about who should be eliminated based upon only this week's challenge and perhaps only use it when they feel that the bottom 3 misunderstood the challenge. In a way, it's an expression of their belief in the skills of the bottom people that they feel they need to give them a '2nd chance'.

Certainly, it would've been appalling if Dom had been eliminated before Ken and the guy that was actually eliminated because her interpretation of the challenge was as off as the other 2. I'm sure she's learned that she needs to rely on her initial instincts as she now knows that she would've won the challenge if she had gone with her instincts.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
it would've been appalling if Dom had been eliminated before Ken and the guy that was actually eliminated because her interpretation of the challenge was as off as the other 2.

I guess I thought Dom & Ken would understand the challenge since they were from the south.

Comments from Nick Verros' Blog

Why do this?
The jaded watcher—and "Project Runway" alumni&3151;in me felt that maybe the Belk exec didn't like ANY of the looks and was coerced into having to chose something,but still felt that something else could come out of this. I also thought that maybe a designer the judges didn't think should go home was about to (Dom perhaps?) and therefore let's try and give her (and the others) another chance. Who knows? It just seemed a little odd. In the end, the designers re-tooled their looks and they all received positive feedback. Personally I thought Ken's was way too hoochey and he should have been out. However, he was in. They LOVED Dom's printed handkerchief hem dress (I thought she did a great job as well) and subsequently, was also chosen to have her dress be manufactured and sold at Belk. I felt a little bad for Bradon since his "1st Prize Thunder" was taken away. Oh, and yes, Jeremy was out.

Nick's thoughts about the Belk exec makes some sense, other than that I thought it was unfair.

Nick refers to Ken as having a Sybil-esque persona - love it.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the previews, it looks like Ken has a melt down. Yikes, I sure hope his client likes his design!!!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You mean tonight? Oh, goodness...doesn't that guy know how he's coming across on the air?

I know Olympia, he could have ruined everything for himself. If he has a condition he should be seeking help. Remember when he called his mother and she asked if that other side appeared yet.

The moment that got me was when Heidi teased him during the judging, and he pursed his lips and looked stern, as if the judges had committed some sort of infraction against him. Does he not get that he is lower down on the totem pole than the judges and the producers of this program? Talk about wasting your energy--taking offense at a show's judges for failing to recognize that you should be the champ.

I'm watching the rerun, and there's Ken casting a cold eye on the judges. He speaks contemptuously of the plaid dresses. I don't like the plaids either, mind you, but Ken talks as if he's the only one in the room who understands the Southern woman. So he thinks he understands this better than the man who's a top official of Belk's? Now, that's effrontery.

heyang

Record Breaker
After seeing the meltdown, Alexander was probably as douchy as Ken. I'm gonna guess that Ken as anger issues when he feels he's being bullied.

For me the tope 4 should be Dom, Helen, Kate and Braden.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The moment that got me was when Heidi teased him during the judging, and he pursed his lips and looked stern, as if the judges had committed some sort of infraction against him.

I would have loved it if Ken said to Heidi....You Need to SHUT UP, I'm speaking right now!!!

Am I mistaking or did they let Ken have his own place...alone???

I would have loved it if Ken said to Heidi....You Need to SHUT UP, I'm speaking right now!!!

Am I mistaking or did they let Ken have his own place...alone???

Yes, Dee, I think they let Ken sleep in his own room. A man who is not a team player!

I think I'll give Alexander the benefit of the doubt; we don't know how long Ken sat there ironing in the doorway while Alexander was trying to go inside, which is not just a hugely hostile act but also extra frustrating if you've been sleep-deprived and just want to get settled in. At that point in the competition, everyone's probably not wrapped too tightly. But what a situation! You never see the behind-the-scenes staff on camera, and last night we did. Things must have been pretty dire. Tim did an amazing job of explaining and smoothing down the situation. I'm also pleased that everyone resolved to let it pass specifically because it was the fans' week and they didn't want to spoil the ladies' experience.

Weren't the fans wonderful? I love that one who said, "Well, Nina will say this, and so we have to be careful of that..." This was an inspired challenge.

I agree with Heyang about the four finalists. I hope this is whom we'll end up with.

louisa05

Final Flight
\
I think I'll give Alexander the benefit of the doubt; we don't know how long Ken sat there ironing in the doorway while Alexander was trying to go inside, which is not just a hugely hostile act but also extra frustrating if you've been sleep-deprived and just want to get settled in. At that point in the competition, everyone's probably not wrapped too tightly. But what a situation! You never see the behind-the-scenes staff on camera, and last night we did. Things must have been pretty dire. Tim did an amazing job of explaining and smoothing down the situation. I'm also pleased that everyone resolved to let it pass specifically because it was the fans' week and they didn't want to spoil the ladies' experience.

Weren't the fans wonderful? I love that one who said, "Well, Nina will say this, and so we have to be careful of that..." This was an inspired challenge.

I agree with Heyang about the four finalists. I hope this is whom we'll end up with.

Totally agree. And why could Ken not move for 15 seconds to let them in? And there was nowhere else to set that ironing board up? I find that hard to believe. I think it was a calculated act because he did not want them moving in and entirely possible that that "stand off" went on for much longer than the few seconds we were shown leading to Alexander reacting inappropriately. BUT Alexander took responsibility for his actions while Ken just made excuses.

When I go over in my mind Tim's talk with everyone, I continue to be impressed with how he conducted himself. As a teacher, he must have had years of experience dealing with fractious Parsons students. Though he was surely annoyed at Ken, he treated him with respect, first chastising him alone (and in such a non-confrontational way!) and only then bringing him in to talk with the others. Amazing how the producers did not remix the four men into different pairs in the two rooms but put Ken all by his lonesome in one room and the three guys in the other. If there was ever a clearer nonverbal way of saying "You can't be trusted to behave," I have not seen it.

I imagine that the other designers were also talked to off camera before the filmed encounter, to ask (or possibly beg) them to keep it as low-key as possible, but the way Tim stated the situation onscreen was about as diplomatic as one could hope for, and his words set the tone for the rest of the episode. They clearly didn't want to milk this one for extra drama. Thank goodness! Can you imagine the way Abby of Dance Moms (which I can only watch for ten minutes at a time about once a season) would have handled this situation? If I ever meet Tim Gunn, I'd probably curtsey.

By the way, in addition to the four finalists suggested by Heyang—Dom, Helen, Kate, and Braden—I would add that Justin has shown flashes of greatness and should be considered a possible finalist as well, though my choice would be the four already mentioned.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I tho't Alexander's design was promising & I would love to see it completed. Helen's gown was stunning.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I did not like Dom's design at all. I think it would have looked better with the darker color around the fan's stomach. The lighter colors just make her look bigger and wider and the shoes did nothing for her legs. I have like everything Dom has done except for this design.

I thought Helen's design was great for her client. I think Helen was smart; her client was the most changed due to her make-over which made the dress look even better. I think the client would have made anything look super.

I liked most of Justin's designs. I would love to see a collection from him. How unique and so special to have her signature on the dress, loved it.

Personally, I thought Ken was rewarded for his bad behavior. :mad:

When Alexander knocked over the ironing board and the iron fell on the floor, my heart sank. I was taught from a small child that an iron was to be protected from all harm. :laugh: :laugh:

I worried when the iron went down, too. It was still connected, it was heavy, and it was hot. Thank goodness no one was standing in the way.

As for Ken's being rewarded for bad behavior, I feared that he would be safe while Alexander went home for not having finished his outfit. I wonder what the judges' reasoning was, and whether Ken's behavior had anything to do with their decision.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The last 5 designers - Bradon, Alexandria, Dom, Helen, Justin. For some reason, I just think Kate is coming back to the competition. I guess I think that because her design was so off the wall. I think her elimination was all staged.

For the final 4, I wouldn't mind Bradon, Dom, Helen and Justin. But for some reason, I would love to see a collection from Alexandria.

Layfan

Record Breaker
The last 5 designers - Bradon, Alexandria, Dom, Helen, Justin. For some reason, I just think Kate is coming back to the competition. I guess I think that because her design was so off the wall. I think her elimination was all staged.

For the final 4, I wouldn't mind Bradon, Dom, Helen and Justin. But for some reason, I would love to see a collection from Alexandria.

Hmm. Don't know what to think. I didn't hate Alexander's design. It was at least interesting. I was shocked they eliminated Kate and it could be staged. However, her dress was ugly, no way around it. I didn't mind Justin's design when it walked down the runway but after the judges had their say I could completely see its shortcomings and couldn't understand why I had once liked it. I think it's because I knew all about his inspiration. But if you didn't know, it would just seem like a boring, badly made gown. He's lucky to have survived this challenge. However, I think Tim Gunn's save was worth it just to get to see Justin's design from last week's challenge. He didn't have had easy client but somehow made her look cool. He definitely a unique designer.

Dom's dress was incredible. Good for her for living up to the big talent we all know she is. I was in love with Braden's jacket too but Dom's dress just couldn't be beat in my opinion. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing = something that has a bit of ethnic inspiration but is completely modern.

It would have been hard to see any of these designers go. I think it's a one of the best groups in a long time, myself.