Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

Custom Title
    Golly, that coat of Dom's, and the profusion of prints she used. This is one clever designer! She may end up being one of my favorites ever, whether she wins or loses. Math, I agree that her outfit looked the most like a butterfly. Braden's outfit was very avant-garde, which is what the judges were looking for, so I understand why they gave it the win, but it's clear that they were also crazy about Dom's ensemble. Man, I want that coat.

I didn't want to go into too much detail before more of you checked in, in case you hadn't yet seen the episode. But now I can say that I loved Justin's combination of cloak and dress and thought that he should have also been assured of the third spot in the final. If the producers had wanted suspense, they should have had a runoff between the other two at the final...but I gather that Heidi just loves Alexandria. Well, that's all right; we'll just get to see more dresses next week.

Custom Title
    Dom has a great eye--even better than Mondo's I think (but then again I was never a big fan of Mondo). Whether she wins or loses, a 'name' designer would be very smart to offer her a job after the competition. Yes, Diane Von Furstenberg, I'm looking at you...

Braden on the other hand is this year's Daniel Vosevic.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Braden on the other hand is this year's Daniel Vosevic.
    I don't know what you mean.

Custom Title
    Do you mean talented, competent, and consistent, but not heart-stopping? I'm not entirely sure I agree, but I think I see what you're getting at. Daniel V. was a favorite of mine, and I was actually hoping he'd win in his year.

Custom Title
    More that Daniel V was so good at being extremely creative within the strictures of a particular challenge, but then his final collection was all rather pedestrian. It was such a disappointment - like how I feel watching V/M's new FD. I've seen Braden's final collection, and it sort of struck me as similar to Daniel V in that it just wasn't as creative as the work he did in the challenges. And in at least two pieces he replicated a problem he had with some of the challenges: relying too much on a showy technique at the expense of the overall design.

WeakAnkles, did you see Bradon's collection in person??? If you did, lucky you. I understand where you're coming from. I liked Daniel V. very much...I guess it's all in how we see things.

Custom Title
    I know what you mean about Daniel's final collection, Ankles.

Dee, I think they have the collections online already, or at least parts of them, because Fashion Week has actually taken place. Let's delve around on the Web and see if we can find it; I know I saw a piece or two on some site last week.

My touchstones are Christian Siriano's collection (with a lot of structured jackets) and Michelle's from last year (remember those sweaters?). I'm hoping that at least one designer's collection this year makes me feel that excited.

Has anyone seen Chris March's Halloween wig collection for Target?

http://www.target.com/c/chris-march-...ween/-/N-55i7p

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Braden's final collection, and it sort of struck me as similar to Daniel V in that it just wasn't as creative as the work he did in the challenges.
    I just looked at the collections online, I am not sure that any of them had a "WOW" factor except for one and it was a surprise.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Has anyone seen Chris March's Halloween wig collection for Target?

http://www.target.com/c/chris-march-...ween/-/N-55i7p
    Good for Chris! I'm glad to see him out there making a buck doing his own quirky thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I just looked at the collections online, I am not sure that any of them had a "WOW" factor except for one and it was a surprise.
    Which one? I was pleasantly surprised by Justin's collection, which was cohesive and far more polished than anything he produced on the show (the game show format can be a killer and is probably not representative of most designers' best work). Same with Alexandria's collection (though the money skirt was just pure camp). Helen and Braden, I thought, produced majorly disappointing collections, given the quality of the work they produced through the season. And I did like some pieces from each of the other designers. But nothing on the whole, like say Michelle's collection from last season or the collections from the Bravo years.

Actually, I was very surprised at Alexandria's collection. I liked Justin's very much and was totally shocked at Dom's ... shocked as in not a good shock. I like Dom very much. If you look back, I mentioned that I would like to see a collection from Alexandria and was pleasantly surprised. I actually thought Alexandria was always a hit & miss designer but there was something about the things she did that intrigued me.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Good for Chris! I'm glad to see him out there making a buck doing his own quirky thing.
    I saw them at a Target near work on Friday evening and not many had sold. I was at a 2nd Target close to home and they seemed to have sold pretty well. Only a few 3 left.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Actually, I was very surprised at Alexandria's collection. I liked Justin's very much and was totally shocked at Dom's ... shocked as in not a good shock. I like Dom very much. If you look back, I mentioned that I would like to see a collection from Alexandria and was pleasantly surprised. I actually thought Alexandria was always a hit & miss designer but there was something about the things she did that intrigued me.
    Oh, rats. I am sorry Dom's collection didn't live up to her promise. I remember Michael Knight's final collection was a huge letdown, and he was my favorite from that year. But Dom is such an interesting, creative person that she will end up doing well in the industry, I'm sure. Remember that Austin Scarlett was eliminated before the finals in the first season, and he immediately was hired to work for a wedding gown designer--the perfect job for him.

Custom Title
    Olympia--I don't know if you follow Tom and Lorenzo, who blog Project Runway and whose site is one of my favorite on the web. They have all of the collections (just look under the television tab for Project Runway--I don't believe there is a search engine on the site). It's snarky gay bitchery at its finest--their take on celebrity fashion is reliably hilarious--but they really know what they're talking about. If you're a Mad Men fan, read all of their analyses of Mad Men costumes. It's genius--I learned a ton about costume design, not just on MM, but in general. The fans there are called Bitter Kittens (of BKs). Also they used to do something called Musical Mondays--it's under the Movie tab--where they rip into classical musicals. Highly recommended. And highly addictive!
    tomandlorenzo.com

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast