Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I totally disagree with the designer sent home. Of the 3 in the bottom, I thought Kahindo's design was the best. Timothy & Helen's designs were terrible & the construction was worse. I am not sure why the judges are keeping Timothy and this week, I'm not sure about Helen. I thought Kate's dress was of a time gone by...I thought some of the other designers like Dom & Justin's designs were better.

Custom Title
    I liked the winner, but then I'm not generally up on what is dated and what isn't. As for Timothy, could they be keeping him because he's so odd that he creates excitement onscreen? I thought that his combination of fabrics was awful this week and fully expected him to be out. Who knows?

In any case, I'm not looking forward to next week. I dislike when they use things like toys and car seats for their fabrics. But someone always surprises with a beautiful, clever outfit. I wonder whether Timothy will have trouble using such synthetic materials so wastefully.

Custom Title
    Kahindo's was not suitable for the challenge and Zach Posen was not wrong that you can find it on a sale rack in many department stores. That dress could go to the office with a jacket which made it just odd to be showing it with that jewelry.

I see Kate's as something that would be in a fashion magazine pictorial, although it really wasn't terribly original. I kind of felt like I had seen it before in that context.

Custom Title
    But, Louisa, it was so pretty! I know, I know...I'm a sucker for silver dresses with elaborate skirts. I never get tired of them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    But, Louisa, it was so pretty! I know, I know...I'm a sucker for silver dresses with elaborate skirts. I never get tired of them.
    I liked it, too. And the win didn't bother me at all. It really stood out compared to the rest in color and style and taking a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Kahindo's was not suitable for the challenge and Zach Posen was not wrong that you can find it on a sale rack in many department stores. That dress could go to the office with a jacket which made it just odd to be showing it with that jewelry.
    Of the 3 in the bottom, I thought Kahindo's dress was the best of the 3, not that I thought it was the best. It really kind of irked me that they kept Timothy & Helen. I am not understanding the judges, they say they want something new and pick Kate for the win, I just am not understanding.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Of the 3 in the bottom, I thought Kahindo's dress was the best of the 3, not that I thought it was the best. It really kind of irked me that they kept Timothy & Helen. I am not understanding the judges, they say they want something new and pick Kate for the win, I just am not understanding.
    I think, though, that they let Helen through because the design was not a bad concept. She just didn't manage to execute it which was a time issue. So letting her through leaves racer back front sustainable freak show vs. boring not quite meeting the challenge dress...and at this early stage, they are always going to keep the freak show when it comes down to that choice. Plus it has consistently, every single season been the case that a boring piece that can be found on the rack at any major department store is going to go before an "original" train wreck. I'm not even sure that means the judges like the train wrecks like Timothy's dress, rather that they hold on to hope that that creativity can be channeled while the boring department store look shows a lack of creativity to begin with.

I didn't like any of the dresses this week. The winner was supposed to look like Marie Antoinette wrapped herself in a bed sheet. It did.

Helen cried, sobbed, and begged her way into staying, then had the nerve to tell the other designers, just take the criticism humbly and don't say anything.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I didn't like any of the dresses this week. The winner was supposed to look like Marie Antoinette wrapped herself in a bed sheet. It did.

Helen cried, sobbed, and begged her way into staying, then had the nerve to tell the other designers, just take the criticism humbly and don't say anything.
    I had the same thought about Helen but I have a feeling that what Sandro said about Timothy didn't come across in the edit of the show. I think if we watched his whole critique we would probably see more of what Sandro was talking about - interrupting the judges and coming up with bizarre excuses. Also, in Helen's defense, I thought she came across as kind to Timothy, sort of putting a kind spin on Sandro's blunt, unsolicited advice.

Speaking of Sandro .... YUCK. The more the I see that look the less I like it. I think he's a poor man's version of Dmitry, the winner two seasons ago. True, there was more design in the look that some of the other safer ones so I suppose that's why he was on the top. but the skirt part was just plain ugly and trashy. Think about it without the top - who'd buy that skirt? At least he didn't win.

I was disappointed that Bradon wasn't in the top three. His look was simple and yet original, especially given that they only had one day. It showed his confidence. And it was just beautiful. I would wear it in a second.

Dom's dress was interesting and fun but could have been even better had she had more time to think it through and execute.

I was happy with Kate's win, especially the more I look at the dress and it's lovely detailing and the luxurious, fantasy feel of it. Yay for her!

I'm not surprised that Khalindo went home over bizarre Timothy and meltdown Helen. They always choose the outfit\ to go home, especially early on when they haven't had a feel for the designer's talent. And especially when it means they can keep an interesting personality on the show longer. It is TV after all. Sometimes this ends with a weak designer somehow making it to the very end of the show until it gets SO tedious, as you know there is no way they are going to win and are just there for the weirdo factor. See Wendy Pepper and Patricia from last season.

Timothy is really cringe-worthy. I'd be curious to see his audition pieces.

Custom Title
    They showed some of Timothy's audition pieces the first week, and at a quick glimpse, they looked interesting. But generally, whenever they add a nontraditional designer to the mix (like that guy who did only sweaters last season), the person can't hold up under the demands of a tight schedule and all sorts of technical requirements for a mainline garment. But you never know. Anya had very little sewing experience, but her outsize design talent got her through. The difference is that Anya was able to adapt to the terms of each challenge, whereas Timothy seems to want to adapt each challenge to his requirements.

Patricia was also kind of out of the mainstream, but she had apparently studied some form of tailoring or dressmaking--am I misremembering, or was there an artisan in Italy that she trained with for a time? In any case, her personality was very pleasant, and it was especially lovely to see that home visit with her family and see the traditions she came from. Being in the finals but not winning was just about the right outcome for her. On this topic, I'd like to say how much I enjoy the home visits from all the seasons. So often you see the pride in the family members and/or friends, and their support for their designer. There's also a wonderful honoring of many different kinds of family relationships and ethnic groups, and it's all done in a low-key way without hitting viewers over the head with it. Tim is such a gracious guest; he's the perfect home visitor. It would never work as well if the task went to Heidi or Nina (even though they're actually both from a different culture).

I also hated Sandro's dress. It was rather tawdry, I thought. It used his sewing skills to make something that fought against line and form rather than using them. It was extremely unflattering to a young woman who is probably in the top 3% in terms of looks in this entire country. Imagine how a less gorgeous woman would look in it. His personality isn't very winning, either. (Alas, this practically guarantees that he'll be around for a long time to come.)

So far, I'm liking Braden & Ken's creations. I don't understand how it is that Sue doesn't know how to use a sewing machine?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Possibly her own machine is very different, and she is not mechanically inclined? Does anyone know whether they give the contestants some time to learn the equipment?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    They showed some of Timothy's audition pieces the first week, and at a quick glimpse, they looked interesting. But generally, whenever they add a nontraditional designer to the mix (like that guy who did only sweaters last season), the person can't hold up under the demands of a tight schedule and all sorts of technical requirements for a mainline garment. But you never know. Anya had very little sewing experience, but her outsize design talent got her through. The difference is that Anya was able to adapt to the terms of each challenge, whereas Timothy seems to want to adapt each challenge to his requirements.

Patricia was also kind of out of the mainstream, but she had apparently studied some form of tailoring or dressmaking--am I misremembering, or was there an artisan in Italy that she trained with for a time? In any case, her personality was very pleasant, and it was especially lovely to see that home visit with her family and see the traditions she came from. Being in the finals but not winning was just about the right outcome for her. On this topic, I'd like to say how much I enjoy the home visits from all the seasons. So often you see the pride in the family members and/or friends, and their support for their designer. There's also a wonderful honoring of many different kinds of family relationships and ethnic groups, and it's all done in a low-key way without hitting viewers over the head with it. Tim is such a gracious guest; he's the perfect home visitor. It would never work as well if the task went to Heidi or Nina (even though they're actually both from a different culture).

I also hated Sandro's dress. It was rather tawdry, I thought. It used his sewing skills to make something that fought against line and form rather than using them. It was extremely unflattering to a young woman who is probably in the top 3% in terms of looks in this entire country. Imagine how a less gorgeous woman would look in it. His personality isn't very winning, either. (Alas, this practically guarantees that he'll be around for a long time to come.)
    Somehow Anya didn't feel out of the mainstream for me though. She lacked sewing skills and experience and it nearly derailed her toward the end but her aesthetic was fairly mainstream (in a good way, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan.) I was disappointed in her finale showing though. I think she won because it was just a weak season in terms of talent. They simply couldn't proclaim any of the others "America's next star designer" (or whatever the phrase is) because they just weren't. Whereas Anya could be with more experience.

I agree that Patricia's personality was very pleasant I couldn't understand Michelle's grumbling about her. (although Michelle came to change her mind and admit it). And you are right - the home visit was worth her being in the final group.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Possibly her own machine is very different, and she is not mechanically inclined? Does anyone know whether they give the contestants some time to learn the equipment?
    The mechanics of most sewing machines are the same....you thread and sew. Most machines also give you the guide for threading.
    I just watched the video about Sue and it was because it was an industrial machine, not your regular home sewing machine. I think she just got terrified of the bigger machine and didn't even try. A couple of the other designers said the industrial machine intimidated them ...but you do what you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan
    Sometimes this ends with a weak designer somehow making it to the very end of the show until it gets SO tedious, as you know there is no way they are going to win and are just there for the weirdo factor. See Wendy Pepper and Patricia from last season.
    I don't think Patricia was just there because, as you say, she was a weirdo. I saw a tremendous creative talented person.

Quote Originally Posted by Math
    The winner was supposed to look like Marie Antoinette wrapped herself in a bed sheet. It did.

I totally agree about the winner, Math, you hit the nail on the head.

As a women, I was embarrassed for Helen....manipulation at its finest.

Custom Title
    Oh, thanks for pointing out that the problem was that it was an industrial machine. I was thinking that this poor woman had no sewing skills at all, and I wondered what the producers were thinking by letting her onto the show. I like her work, mind you, and I want her to do well. This explains a lot. It also gives me hope that she will figure out how to operate the machine with a little more practice.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast