Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    A lot of serious sewers use very old machines. My oldest son collects and fixes them as a hobby. I suspect those Brothers machines are a lot different than my mother's WW2 era Singer, which is what he prefers.

Custom Title
    I have my mom's old Singer, too. I don't know how to use it, alas, and mostly sew by hand. Those old machines are beautiful, aren't they? I wish I had done what my college friend did and bought a Singer Featherweight to take to school with me. That remains my favorite machine, although the new fancy computerized Husquvarnas and Berninas can do any number of things such as free-motion embroidery.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I much prefer the older machines but they are quite heavy. I have a very, very old cast iron electric machine (could possibly be one of the first electric ), it is extremely heavy but sews perfect. The newer models I have found to be very touchy. In my older model, I could mix cotton & poly/cotton thread, no problem, the new model machine I have, you have to use just cotton thread.

Thanks for the information on sewing machines...then & now. It's been over 50 years since I used a sewing machine so I guess I'd be mimicing Sue.

I didn't think the losing dress was that bad, but it wasn't a good dress for the challenge. All those diamonds demanded a classic evening look - something that would totally enhance the diamonds in stead of over powering.

Kate's probably did the job the best, but I did find some of the bodice ruching distracting.

Forgot to also add that I agree that the setting up of machines is relatively the same. From my experience, the main difference between industrial vs home machines are the speed at which they stitch. If you're not used to an industrial machine, the speed can be a bit intimidating, especially if the fabrics are difficult to handle.

Custom Title
    Thurs. Aug 1: I really agree with the winning outfit! I almost stood up and cheered when I saw something that didn't look like a disassembled plush toy. That dress was worthy to be on display in Parisian atelier. What contours! The runner-up was cute, playful, and witty, but that winner...I want to sew one for my dolls.

Absolutely agree with the winner, too ! And I'm glad to see Timothy gone (but sorry for his model Sophie, who seems to be a very nice lady).

The runner up was cute, but reminded me too much of NHK's Domo-kun mascot, that we see skating around at NHK each year.

http://idleidol.net/wp-content/uploa...0/04/domo2.jpg
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Wasn't that sweet of Sophie to write Timothy a card? We have tended to giggle at him, but it's possible that in person he's much lower key and sweeter. I don't think he's really made for the cutthroat aspect of the fashion world.

I thought that Kate and Helen worked really well as a team, by the way. Kate is turning out to be a wise choice to have been brought back on the show.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    It was obvious from the start that Kate and Helen's look was going to win - glorious. Part of me was rooting for the runner-up just to see the judges NOT go for the chic look for once. But the winning look was just too good. I loved the second-place look though. So imaginative. Who thinks up something like that?

I felt completely rotten for Timothy. He was the right choice to go but it was a double punishment to have Miranda trash talk him the way she did. She felt horrible about it but there was no way she could take it back. She did something that people do all the time on that show and in the real world only she got caught and very publicly. So I'd like to think that she will come out better for it.

I don't know anything about making clothes but my gut tells me that Timothy needs to come off his cloud just long enough to get the basics down. Then he can really try to soar. Kelly Osbourne was spot on in calling him out on the simplicity of how he put together the jacket.

Last thought: Gee, what a coincidence that Miranda and Timothy were paired!

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    but my gut tells me that Timothy needs to come off his cloud just long enough to get the basics down. Then he can really try to soar. Kelly Osbourne was spot on in calling him out on the simplicity of how he put together the jacket.

Part of me was rooting for the runner-up just to see the judges NOT go for the chic look for once.

Last thought: Gee, what a coincidence that Miranda and Timothy were paired!
    You're right Layfan about Timothy and his designs. The sad thing is I don't think he got it. I think he thinks he was picked on and got the boot.

If you go to rate the runway, http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/proj...episode-3#id=1
    there are other designs that I thought were worse than Timothy & Miranda's like Alexander & Justin, Bradon & Karen.

I also know what you mean about Miranda & Timothy being paired...that part of Project Runway & Tim's gushing about how everyone is so close kind of makes me not like the show. The only thing is .... I really like watching them design.

Part of me was also rooting for the runner up. I just thought it was so creative as well as the styling of the model.

Custom Title
    The runner-up was so clever! I completely agree. But that top dress elevated the level of the competition from novelty items to real design. I don't think there could have been any other outcome to this competition. Normally when you see the judges whispering during the actual runway show, you don't get much of a hint as to which item they prefer--maybe a smile, nothing more. But for this competition, they showed Kelly Osbourne saying that the dress was "[expletive] brilliant." And just to make sure we got the point, they printed her words as a subtitle. I suppose that could have been meant to throw us off, but the layered curves of the skirt couldn't be outdone by anything else in that group of outfits.

I thought the styling of the runnerup model was darn clever & awfully cute, but really, they just turned her into the NHK Domo mascot-NHK has had the thing for some time, and you see it as a prize in arcade games frequently, so I really saw it as clever, but not hyper creative. The winning dress was just gorgeous.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Well, it was lovely to see Helen win after she was so distraught last episode.
    Dee, you could be right about Tim since he liked his look and actually thought it could win before realizing it was in the bottom three. aie.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    so I really saw it as clever, but not hyper creative. The winning dress was just gorgeous.
    The reason I said it was very creative is that is what they designed from the arcade items and then had to find the materials to create it. In my humble opinion, I saw that as extremely creative. To me the winning dress was OK, I thought about the material and hopefully they lined the dress. That material could have been extremely scratchy. Again, I just thought it was a very old look, we've seen the style a million times.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast