Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    What I wear to work out are Old Navy tank tops and any gym pants that I find on sale and look somewhat flattering. I hate spending money on gym wear. So this challenge wasn't for me and it kind of bored me. I didn't quite understand the raving about Helen's jacket but I'd be interested to see it up close. Kate's top was really interesting. I wish it was fitted though. Overall, I didn't love the looks but I just don't see how much you can do with workout clothes.

Karen - I didn't mind her pants but wanted to scream at her to make a form fitting top to go with them. HE-LLO. Overall, I barely remember anything she's done.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I just wonder why Dom is being overlooked in all the challenges as far as at least winning one challenge. Her whole design is good, not just the jacket.

Dom's design.

Custom Title
    She's wonderful, I agree. I don't understand why she's never in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I don't know this and am just asking a question. Aren't the hip hop dancers wearing these??

I was surprised that Kate wasn't the winner that's why I said I'm not understanding the judging. Ken should have been sent home just for being nasty. Helen should have been sent home just for being a trouble maker.
    The judges aren't supposed to see or hear about the work room behavior. At least Ken did apologize for his behavior and I believe he was sincere. They are operating on lack of sleep and each stint in the bottom is a dent to the ego, as well.

Even Dom is getting frustrated by being in the middle, as was Sandro. Difficult to know what needs to change without any feedback.

Custom Title
    An interesting feature was shown on ABC this morning. It's fashion week, and several black models including Naomi Campbell and Iman pointed out that most of the major designers feature just one person of color (or none at all) in their shows. I realized that Project Runway has a very different approach. Through the years, its models have been very ethnically diverse. (A bit too thin, but that's another issue.) I haven't seen anyone call attention to this fact; it just seems to be done as a matter of course. But now, seeing the statistics about the big fashion shows, I'm thinking that maybe this is a conscious policy on the part of the producers. (And remember, Heidi Klum is one of the producers.) So my hat's off to them.

ETA: I was trying to remember the guy who wore pants like the "poopy pants" in the two outfits of recent weeks. It was M.C. Hammer! I'm not sure that all hip hop artists wore those pants, and of course Hammer was not a dancer but a rapper. I wonder whether the really strenuous acrobatic hip hop dancers have ever worn those pants. They seem both constricting and liable to hide the quality of the movement. How can you get excited about an extreme dance trick if you can't see anything much above the knee? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    ETA: I was trying to remember the guy who wore pants like the "poopy pants" in the two outfits of recent weeks. It was M.C. Hammer! I'm not sure that all hip hop artists wore those pants, and of course Hammer was not a dancer but a rapper. I wonder whether the really strenuous acrobatic hip hop dancers have ever worn those pants. They seem both constricting and liable to hide the quality of the movement. How can you get excited about an extreme dance trick if you can't see anything much above the knee? Just a thought.
    Olympia, I don't know if you watched SYTYCD last Tuesday but some of the guys had on the poopy pants.

I'm a little surprised that Ken wasn't sent home. They should have sent home both Jeremy & Ken. Although I liked Jeremy's new dress, it was quite simple but doable in an hour. I can see where the judges are getting upset that he hasn't updated his style. I really thought Ken's updated style looked worse than the original dress. I can't image what Ken would do if his customer didn't like his design....poor lady!!!

I'm not sure I thought it was fair to give them an additional hour.

It seems that if you design a dress with an uneven hemline (I call it ragged) the judges will praise you. I think that look might be ok for a cocktail dress or on the red carpet but not for every day/evening wear. And you wouldn't need more than one dress with that type of hemline in your wardrobe.

Custom Title
    Is anybody besides me totally sick of loud plaid patterns? What on earth is it that appeals about that pattern for use anywhere outside of a summerweight shirt or maybe a kilt. I don't care if Alexander MacQueen used them all over the place.

On the other hand, Dom finally had her day in the sun. Good for her! That girl has mad skills and should be in the finals. She's also got a tremendously appealing personality. I am a bit tired of Ken's perpetual self-centered air of injury. If he's lucky enough to get a job in the garment business, he's going to start out at the bottom of the pecking order and be bossed around by everyone, so he should at least cultivate an air of politeness. Whichever parent/guardian/grandparent let him believe that self-confidence was the same as a feeling of entitlement did him a grave disservice.

I know what you mean about not being sure it was fair to give the bottom three an additional hour, but it seems as if the rules are whatever the producers (and maybe the judges) decide. It's their ball and their yard, after all. In any case, it's not as if they took away someone else's first-place standing, and it couldn't have been exactly fun to have an hour to do an entire outfit, so it was at best a mixed blessing. If they had waited to decide on the bottom person until after seeing those three designers' second dresses, that would have been grossly unfair. But as it was structured, I guess this was the equivalent of "dancing for one's life" on So You Think You Can Dance.

If they had waited to decide on the bottom person until after seeing those three designers' second dresses, that would have been grossly unfair. But as it was structured, I guess this was the equivalent of "dancing for one's life" on So You Think You Can Dance.
    I guess where I felt it was unfair was it took away some of Bradon's glory. It seemed so staged...someone in the bottom 3 wins and gets their dress marketed....doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm sorry but of the bottom 3, Dom would have or should have been saved as well as Ken. Jeremy would have gone home.

Custom Title
    That's an interesting point, Dee. I suppose it could have been staged, but one thought that mitigates against that for me is that they couldn't know beforehand that Dom would produce a salable dress. They knew that of the three bottom designers, Dom was the most competent, but that in itself wouldn't guarantee something that the company could market to their profit. She could be off her game that day (that hour!), and they'd have been stuck with a dog of a garment. Everything depended on what Dom could produce in a mere sixty minutes.

Still, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and how much time the judging really takes. Maybe they talked for a few hours and came up with this, or maybe your instincts are right on target and it was a planned event.

Olympia, I understand what you're saying but I'm going to give myself an out here. Was those rules given before this particular competition (9-12-13 airing) began, I may have missed those rules. I didn't know that they said they were going to have 2 winners, 1 from the winners and 1 from the losers. Like I said maybe I didn't hear those specifications. Giving them the extra hour to me was unfair because it produced a winner that would have been safe anyhow...of the 3 in the bottom Dom's dress was the best (plus based on previous designs, she would have been safe), then Ken, then Jeremy and he went home. Are they going to do the same in finale...maybe one of the designers will get an extra day or two or week to fix their collection because they didn't make the right choice to begin with. I love Dom's work but it was she who changed her mind. One day you're in and the next you're out. Not One day you're in and the next you're out but we will give you extra time to make it right?????

Custom Title
    I imagine they just enjoy surprising viewers. Remember the times they've come in to the designers during the finale and ordered them to make an additional dress that somehow goes with the rest of their collection? Not to mention the times they've allowed a fourth person into the finals, as they did in Jeffrey and Ulli's season. The producers just like being unpredictable. I'm not defending them; I'm just pointing out that they enjoy a trick now and then.

Custom Title
    That's an interesting point, Dee. I suppose it could have been staged, but one thought that mitigates against that for me is that they couldn't know beforehand that Dom would produce a salable dress. They knew that of the three bottom designers, Dom was the most competent, but that in itself wouldn't guarantee something that the company could market to their profit. She could be off her game that day (that hour!), and they'd have been stuck with a dog of a garment. Everything depended on what Dom could produce in a mere sixty minutes.

Still, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and how much time the judging really takes. Maybe they talked for a few hours and came up with this, or maybe your instincts are right on target and it was a planned event.
    The judging goes on for hours--and the "chatting" with the designers on the runway is way more extensive than what we see. This is clear from things that Tim said the year he did a video blog and in his first book which talks about the show quite a bit. As for time, in general, the designers have even less work time that it appears due to filming disrupting them all the time.

It wasn't the 1st time where the bottom were called upon to 'renovate' their outfits. I recall another season where there was a 'design off' to avoid elimination.

I have a feeling that they may have this 'quick design' challenge when the judges really can't come to a decision about who should be eliminated based upon only this week's challenge and perhaps only use it when they feel that the bottom 3 misunderstood the challenge. In a way, it's an expression of their belief in the skills of the bottom people that they feel they need to give them a '2nd chance'.

Certainly, it would've been appalling if Dom had been eliminated before Ken and the guy that was actually eliminated because her interpretation of the challenge was as off as the other 2. I'm sure she's learned that she needs to rely on her initial instincts as she now knows that she would've won the challenge if she had gone with her instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    it would've been appalling if Dom had been eliminated before Ken and the guy that was actually eliminated because her interpretation of the challenge was as off as the other 2.
    I guess I thought Dom & Ken would understand the challenge since they were from the south.

Comments from Nick Verros' Blog

Why do this?
    The jaded watcher—and "Project Runway" alumni&3151;in me felt that maybe the Belk exec didn't like ANY of the looks and was coerced into having to chose something,but still felt that something else could come out of this. I also thought that maybe a designer the judges didn't think should go home was about to (Dom perhaps?) and therefore let's try and give her (and the others) another chance. Who knows? It just seemed a little odd. In the end, the designers re-tooled their looks and they all received positive feedback. Personally I thought Ken's was way too hoochey and he should have been out. However, he was in. They LOVED Dom's printed handkerchief hem dress (I thought she did a great job as well) and subsequently, was also chosen to have her dress be manufactured and sold at Belk. I felt a little bad for Bradon since his "1st Prize Thunder" was taken away. Oh, and yes, Jeremy was out.
    Nick's thoughts about the Belk exec makes some sense, other than that I thought it was unfair.

Nick refers to Ken as having a Sybil-esque persona - love it.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast