Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Three-day battles: vote for your favorites!

On the Ice

Three-day battles: vote for your favorites!

On-going Battle

Volosozhar & Trankov vs Gurgenidze & Kachalova (acrobatic gymnastics)

3 days, 2 skaters, one overused piece of music; Poll: Takahashi or Plushenko, who used "Moonlight Sonata" better?

3-Day Battle: Daisuke Takahashi vs Evgeni Plushenko

It's called a 3-day battle because as the name says the poll will only be open for three days, it's a fun way to use the info that I'm collecting in the music database and hopefully show the newest fans a bit of what as been done in years gone-by.

If you have suggestions or notice errors, just let me know.

Thanks.

What a cool project!

I voted for Takahashi. Plushenko out-jumped him, with clean 4T+3T, 3A and 3Lz. Takahashi double-footed (and probably URed) his quad and stumbled at the end of his combo.

But if the contest is, who used the music the best, to me there is no question. In the first place, Plushenko's clangy guitar version of the music just drones along, while Takahashi actually went with Beethoven. On top of that, Takahashi paid attention to the nuances of the music, while Plushenko's slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am style is the opposite of what the music asks for.

(Just my opinion. )
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-20-2013 at 04:03 PM.

~high art~
    Daisuke... no comparison IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Daisuke... no comparison IMO
    Plushenko,of course and you don't forget, Plushy skated it in 2005...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What a cool project!

I voted for Takahashi. Plushenko out-jumped him, with clean 4T+3T, 3A and 3Lz. Takahashi double-footed (and probably URed) his quad and stumbled at the end of his combo.

But if the contest is, who used the music the best, to me there is no question. In the first place, Plushenko's clangy guitar version of the music just drones along, while Takahashi actually went with Beethoven. On top of that, Takahashi paid attention to the nuances of the music, while Plushenko's slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am style is the opposite of what the music asks for.

(Just my opinion. )
    I agree with you 100%. But the costume, Plush's one suits Beethoven.

Custom Title
    I agree, too: Takahashi has the edge (no pun intended) for me. I found some of Plushenko's footwork fascinating, but the way Takahashi flowed across the ice and seemed to change positions to express the change in coloration of the music just pulled me in. I liked both costumes pretty much equally, and I think Plushenko and Takahashi both live up to the standards of the music and do it justice. But Daisuke had an expansiveness that brought out the warmth in the music.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Definitely Takahashi's version, although he performed it best at Worlds (the WTT version is linked).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What a cool project!

(Just my opinion. )
    I agree.

Technically(comparing Dai's WTT performance to Plushenko's 04-05 GPF performance), Plushenko was better but artistically, I prefer Dai's. Since the question was basically about whose program to Moonlight Sonata was better, Dai definitely gets my vote.

Custom Title
    Honestly, this kind of poll is pointless. The Takahashi fans will all vote for him regardless, the Plushenko fans will vote for him regardless, and there will be too few inbetweeners to really make the poll work.

Custom Title
    It wasn't pointless for me. I got to see a side-by-side comparison of two wonderful and very different interpretations of the same music by two skaters who really understand music. I'm sure other viewers feel the same way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Honestly, this kind of poll is pointless. The Takahashi fans will all vote for him regardless, the Plushenko fans will vote for him regardless, and there will be too few inbetweeners to really make the poll work.
    So true!
    Then, my guess is skating fans, either who LOVE both or who HATE both, only can speak the truth. I would love to hear some comments from Patrick fans and Evan fans. Aaaaand I really would love to know which program Let's Talk is going to choose and what 'say' she will have on this poll. What a shame she is banned...

Medalist
    I am neither a Plushenko fan or a Dai fan but i prefer Plushenkos.

Custom Title
    A vote for Dai from a plushyfan. (difficult decision, eh...)

~high art~
    I'm a furthest thing from a Daisuke Takahashi fan.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    she is banned...
    Thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I'm a furthest thing from a Daisuke Takahashi fan.
    but maybe you are close to a Plush hater ..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast