Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Three-day battles: vote for your favorites!

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    but maybe you are close to a Plush hater ..
    I have plenty of respect for Evgeni as a competitive skater.

Custom Title
    Takashashi is really fantastic in interpreting music, that´s why he got my vote. What a feeling towards music he has!!! Plushenko performed his jumps well as usual, but the music playing in the background could have been just any music, not specifically Moonlight Sonata.

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I have plenty of respect for Evgeni as a competitive skater.
    you said: no comparison=this is nothing..

hm..a comment to the video:
    " But what a haunting and stunningly beautiful program!

A modern interpretation of Beethoven's timeless music, so demure and subtle, and yet with heart-felt passion and sensitivity. It gave us glimpse of longing, bewilderment and vulnerability, combined with the loftiness and sweetness. Only the genius knows how to interpret another genius."

What a big different. Sigh! The FS is a very subjective sport, as we know...

Evgeni has changed the music, the piano sonata became guitar music. The sweet, soft music became more dramatic, fit to Plush's style. Can you imagine when Plush skates in same style like Dai ? I think when a skater will develop own style, in determining the physique and stature. Dai is a low skater, Plush is tall among the skaters.
    For my taste Dai is too busy on ice, I know this isn't his fault. I don't like too much the COP. I would like to enjoy a movement, but i can't, because comes the next! and here the next!..OMG! In contrast,in Plu program is great harmony between the movements and the music, the style is more balletic. I didn't know this SP, when I found it on Youtube, I was surprised, OMG! what a beauty!
    This is his first SP under the new system.. I was really curious, he received Program component scores: 39,85 + Tech 44,50
    Jeff Buttle PC-36,98
    Lambiel PC 36,3 + TEC 44,30

Plushy beat Lambiel with PC scores.. What a surprised! again..

Custom Title
    They are two completely different skaters.
    When Plushenko skates in his balletic classical style, his perfect posture makes every movement like frozen beautiful picture that radiant and it comes from inner. It looks so graceful and magnificent, especially when you watch it live.
    In Sheffield 2012 one could hear “wow” breathless whisper from British audience during Plushenko’s skating. That “wow” factor like exchange electricity.
    From recent skaters only Berezhnaya/Siharulidze could produce that kind of beauty on ice.
    Takahashi’s balletic style is more busy, but beautiful in its own way.
    It is hard to compare these two skaters, from two different planets.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Dai is a low skater, Plush is tall among the skaters.
    Oh Plushyfan, don't say that! My understanding is Dai is not low as a skater, he is just, um... not so tall! lol
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...b=vWhf8c3Lfxy&

Now it says 12hrs to vote. How can we see the final result, btw?
    When this one is over, maybe I would love to see another polls, say, Carmen battle: Evan 2006 vs Evgeni 2002 or Phantom battle Patrick 2010 vs Daisuke 2007! Any other polls do you guys would love to see?

Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    This is because of Morozov's choreo, which was done right after these two got together again. And Daisuke was fighting not to show Morozov's flavor when he was performing.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Oh Plushyfan, don't say that! My understanding is Dai is not low as a skater, he is just, um... not so tall! lol
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...b=vWhf8c3Lfxy&

When this one is over, maybe I would love to see another polls, say, Carmen battle: Evan 2006 vs Evgeni 2002 or Phantom battle Patrick 2010 vs Daisuke 2007! Any other polls do you guys would love to see?
    Plush and Evan are tall skaters. Daisuke is not tall as a man, when he stands next to Mao though.

And is this vote only for men's skating? There are plenty of comparison in lady's too. (I say so many people using the same music.)
    Oh, I would like to see Johnny and Misha's Swan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    They are two completely different skaters.
    When Plushenko skates in his balletic classical style, his perfect posture makes every movement like frozen beautiful picture that radiant and it comes from inner. It looks so graceful and magnificent, especially when you watch it live.
    In Sheffield 2012 one could hear “wow” breathless whisper from British audience during Plushenko’s skating. That “wow” factor like exchange electricity.
    From recent skaters only Berezhnaya/Siharulidze could produce that kind of beauty on ice.
    It is hard to compare these two skaters, from two different planets.
    In general I prefer Takahashi, but I admire both skaters and think that both approach their programs as if skating were more than just using tricks to rack up points. Dai and Evgeny are different in kind but not in degree. Both these skaters treat music as in important part of a skating program, and both know how to create beautiful lines, positions, and flow with their bodies. I'd say it was artistic maturity, but both of these skaters had "it" when they were youngsters as well. It's a joy to watch both of them. I love your metaphor of two skaters from different planets.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What a cool project!
    Thanks Mathman!

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Honestly, this kind of poll is pointless. The Takahashi fans will all vote for him regardless, the Plushenko fans will vote for him regardless, and there will be too few inbetweeners to really make the poll work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    It wasn't pointless for me. I got to see a side-by-side comparison of two wonderful and very different interpretations of the same music by two skaters who really understand music. I'm sure other viewers feel the same way.
    karne, you are right in a way, there was a massive flood of Japanese fans to the site, but a handful of them actually voted for Plushenko. Daisuke is far ahead though, Plush fans never woke up to the poll.

And Olympia's comment sums what my intention with these polls. Younger fans will have missed many good programs, older fans for different reasons may have too, this is a way to put programs under their radar.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    The time counter is a bit bonkers, sorry! I'll have to fix that. The poll ends today at 5:00 PM GMT and then you'll be able to see the final results. I also post daily updates on Twitter.

I'll definitely have more polls, ladies will follow, then pairs and ice-dance, to keep it diverse.

Thanks for all your comments and for voting too!

Custom Title
    It's hard to say. I think in terms of an SP (where I usually give the nod to the more technically ambitious/clean skater), Plushenko outskated Takahashi.

However, Takahashi's musicality and interpretation was (and is) far better compared to Plushenko, but not what Takahashi himself is entirely capable of. I remember last year a lot of his fans (including myself) criticizing him for scrapping his original SP and then replacing it with this kind of meh Moonlight Sonata.

If these were freeskates, I might have gone in Takahashi's favour (I think having a build in the music would allow for better interpretation than what he gave in his his SP).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I remember last year a lot of his fans (including myself) criticizing him for scrapping his original SP and then replacing it with this kind of meh Moonlight Sonata.
    Shhhhhh, NM might be sneaking into GS Forum occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    The time counter is a bit bonkers, sorry! I'll have to fix that. The poll ends today at 5:00 PM GMT and then you'll be able to see the final results. I also post daily updates on Twitter.

I'll definitely have more polls, ladies will follow, then pairs and ice-dance, to keep it diverse.

Thanks for all your comments and for voting too!
    No sorry; not at all, joeperryfan! Thank you so much for all your time doing this!

Custom Title
    Thanks, joeperryfan! Definitely thought-provoking both to watch the programs and to hear everyone's reactions. (And it was also fun.) I have always loved comparing different interpretations of the same music or (for an actor) the same drama passages. (Imagine, for example, several splendid actors reciting the same Hamlet soliloquy, or several duos portraying Elizabeth and Darcy speaking the same words from Pride and Prejudice.) It makes you think not just of the interpreters but also of the original pieces of music or text, how they are constructed, and what different angles one can view them from.

On the Ice
    The 1st battle is over:
    Plushy fans where art thou?

But there's a new one:
    One with ladies

I have to refine the code, there are a few problems but the vote count is doing alright, but if you find anything fishy let me know.

And you're welcome.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    The 1st battle is over:
    Plushy fans where art thou?

But there's a new one:
    One with ladies

I have to refine the code, there are a few problems but the vote count is doing alright, but if you find anything fishy let me know.

And you're welcome.
    It says I've already voted

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    It says I've already voted
    I'm on it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast