Three-day battles: vote for your favorites! | Golden Skate

Three-day battles: vote for your favorites!

joeperryfan

Rinkside
On-going Battle

Volosozhar & Trankov vs Gurgenidze & Kachalova (acrobatic gymnastics)

3 days, 2 skaters, one overused piece of music; Poll: Takahashi or Plushenko, who used "Moonlight Sonata" better?

3-Day Battle: Daisuke Takahashi vs Evgeni Plushenko

It's called a 3-day battle because as the name says the poll will only be open for three days, it's a fun way to use the info that I'm collecting in the music database and hopefully show the newest fans a bit of what as been done in years gone-by.

If you have suggestions or notice errors, just let me know.

Thanks.

What a cool project!

I voted for Takahashi. Plushenko out-jumped him, with clean 4T+3T, 3A and 3Lz. Takahashi double-footed (and probably URed) his quad and stumbled at the end of his combo.

But if the contest is, who used the music the best, to me there is no question. In the first place, Plushenko's clangy guitar version of the music just drones along, while Takahashi actually went with Beethoven. On top of that, Takahashi paid attention to the nuances of the music, while Plushenko's slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am style is the opposite of what the music asks for.

(Just my opinion. :) )

Last edited:

cinnamon

On the Ice
What a cool project!

I voted for Takahashi. Plushenko out-jumped him, with clean 4T+3T, 3A and 3Lz. Takahashi double-footed (and probably URed) his quad and stumbled at the end of his combo.

But if the contest is, who used the music the best, to me there is no question. In the first place, Plushenko's clangy guitar version of the music just drones along, while Takahashi actually went with Beethoven. On top of that, Takahashi paid attention to the nuances of the music, while Plushenko's slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am style is the opposite of what the music asks for.

I agree with you 100%. But the costume, Plush's one suits Beethoven.

I agree, too: Takahashi has the edge (no pun intended) for me. I found some of Plushenko's footwork fascinating, but the way Takahashi flowed across the ice and seemed to change positions to express the change in coloration of the music just pulled me in. I liked both costumes pretty much equally, and I think Plushenko and Takahashi both live up to the standards of the music and do it justice. But Daisuke had an expansiveness that brought out the warmth in the music.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Definitely Takahashi's version, although he performed it best at Worlds (the WTT version is linked).

vera01

Final Flight
What a cool project!

I agree.

Technically(comparing Dai's WTT performance to Plushenko's 04-05 GPF performance), Plushenko was better but artistically, I prefer Dai's. Since the question was basically about whose program to Moonlight Sonata was better, Dai definitely gets my vote.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Honestly, this kind of poll is pointless. The Takahashi fans will all vote for him regardless, the Plushenko fans will vote for him regardless, and there will be too few inbetweeners to really make the poll work.

It wasn't pointless for me. I got to see a side-by-side comparison of two wonderful and very different interpretations of the same music by two skaters who really understand music. I'm sure other viewers feel the same way.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Honestly, this kind of poll is pointless. The Takahashi fans will all vote for him regardless, the Plushenko fans will vote for him regardless, and there will be too few inbetweeners to really make the poll work.

So true! :laugh:
Then, my guess is skating fans, either who LOVE both or who HATE both, only can speak the truth. I would love to hear some comments from Patrick fans and Evan fans. :biggrin: Aaaaand I really would love to know which program Let's Talk is going to choose and what 'say' she will have on this poll. What a shame she is banned... :disapp:

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
I am neither a Plushenko fan or a Dai fan but i prefer Plushenkos.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Takashashi is really fantastic in interpreting music, that´s why he got my vote. What a feeling towards music he has!!! Plushenko performed his jumps well as usual, but the music playing in the background could have been just any music, not specifically Moonlight Sonata.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I have plenty of respect for Evgeni as a competitive skater. :)

you said: no comparison=this is nothing..

hm..a comment to the video:
" But what a haunting and stunningly beautiful program!

A modern interpretation of Beethoven's timeless music, so demure and subtle, and yet with heart-felt passion and sensitivity. It gave us glimpse of longing, bewilderment and vulnerability, combined with the loftiness and sweetness. Only the genius knows how to interpret another genius."

What a big different.;) Sigh! The FS is a very subjective sport, as we know...

Evgeni has changed the music, the piano sonata became guitar music. The sweet, soft music became more dramatic, fit to Plush's style. Can you imagine when Plush skates in same style like Dai ? :laugh: I think when a skater will develop own style, in determining the physique and stature. Dai is a low skater, Plush is tall among the skaters.
For my taste Dai is too busy on ice, I know this isn't his fault. I don't like too much the COP. :disapp: I would like to enjoy a movement, but i can't, because comes the next! and here the next!..OMG! In contrast,in Plu program is great harmony between the movements and the music, the style is more balletic. I didn't know this SP, when I found it on Youtube, I was surprised, OMG! what a beauty!
This is his first SP under the new system.. I was really curious, he received Program component scores: 39,85 + Tech 44,50
Jeff Buttle PC-36,98
Lambiel PC 36,3 + TEC 44,30

Plushy beat Lambiel with PC scores.. What a surprised! again..

bestskate8

On the Ice
They are two completely different skaters.
When Plushenko skates in his balletic classical style, his perfect posture makes every movement like frozen beautiful picture that radiant and it comes from inner. It looks so graceful and magnificent, especially when you watch it live.
In Sheffield 2012 one could hear “wow” breathless whisper from British audience during Plushenko’s skating. That “wow” factor like exchange electricity.
From recent skaters only Berezhnaya/Siharulidze could produce that kind of beauty on ice.
Takahashi’s balletic style is more busy, but beautiful in its own way.
It is hard to compare these two skaters, from two different planets.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Dai is a low skater, Plush is tall among the skaters.

Oh Plushyfan, don't say that! ;) My understanding is Dai is not low as a skater, he is just, um... not so tall! lol
http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...=13hser0pm&sigi=11n8b1i0a&.crumb=vWhf8c3Lfxy&

Now it says 12hrs to vote. How can we see the final result, btw?
When this one is over, maybe I would love to see another polls, say, Carmen battle: Evan 2006 vs Evgeni 2002 or Phantom battle Patrick 2010 vs Daisuke 2007! :) Any other polls do you guys would love to see? :biggrin: