Another passing, my calico daphne, aged 20. | Golden Skate

Another passing, my calico daphne, aged 20.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I had to put her down. Circumstances, indecision, fear, money, another cat left daphne at my mom's house, where I or a pca would have to go feed her 2 cans a day (hyperthyroid, she was hungry always, but scrawny and even fussy!). I wished Daphne had followed her doctors prognostication in feb, but she is such a survivor cat, she lived on, mostly alone. She was still purring loudly when held, and had her cool cellar kingdom. I felt guilty not being with her but my orange tabby(huge) would have terrified her. She was a truly lucky creature. She lived many lives. I spend 700.00 to save her fro kidney poisoning from tainted Chinese aspects of her Price Chopper food. I had two sick parents and like most of my life, could not keep up with the lawsuit that ensued when many cats and dogs died in 2007.

I brought her back from Kidney poisoning, and it involved injections and exhausted me, as I fought to help my parents, cure the cat at age 14, and hang on to a doomed relationship. My hands shook and she somehow started drinking again. I could not let her die, when others said, go to club med with the money! (I'm dying to see a club med-any takers??lol)

Most of you know my mother died suddenly 3 and a half months ago. I should have put her down(daffy)then, but instead tortured myself as she was purring still, and loved being alive-it was clear. She looked totally like a scrawny cat who weighed maybe 5 pounds... But she seemed to be free of pain, (or mostly for the time I could tell) and would purr, and allowed me to hold her. As an old lady, she became mellow but still had her huge blood curdling meow and many different meows. One was absolutely "Mom." Others would marvel at her variety of speech. She lived in her home since 6 weeks, damaged a lot of the house, my clothes. Oh, I'd get yelled at. daffy was really a pain, and I wanted to give her back many days to the pound. I felt guilty. Mom, who never wanted these "damn cats." was devoted to little daphne, and nearly lost it when she got out. Daffy and my mother were survivors who actually seemed similar in personality!

She would be prey to coyotes or fox or anything really if she got out, which was rare. She had several amazing cat lives, was not really domesticated like my other tabby cats. She was an incredible hunter. She was really very beautiful with the deep green eyes. I have a picture I wish I knew how to share that would make you all laugh and ask how I got the pic...it was sheer luck. I wonder if our resident photo genius. (she's not been around, she is a mod, and I can't call her name up right now-u all will tho) might coach me. I really wish I could put this photo on some sight. I think I'd get many hits, make people smile. Maybe I could earn badly needed money, even, lol.

She had an incredible, survivor personality, was a "Queen" cat. I think if she were a skater cat she might be a diva like Tonya, or Irina or Maria B. She was so beautiful. If she were not such an outdoor huntress, I would have been a better daughter to declaw her. I ask your prayers as loneliness/isolation is so hard. I love animals and I loved this diva cat. Oh, Ok, got the name (senior moments). Tonichelle the talented photographer moderator!

I wonder how to get a color photo on line here. It really is unique, and I'd love to share this beautiful creature captured with a "saber tooth tiger, both smiling. If anyone can give an easy lesson to the computer challenged older me, I'd appreciate learning a new skill. I have a new printer, and its an Epson. I am not doing well with it. It has a scanner function, which I have never used. copy and print were easy on the old printer. I am daunted by new one, but perhaps they work similarly. We have so many highly skilled puter kids and adults here on GS.

If heaven has animals and my departed cats, then I want to go! I cannot imagine heaven if there are not creatures and sp our beloved pets. Here's to the pain in the neck cat who lived 11 lives! thank you for letting me share about her. I got a condolence card from her vet. It was so quickly over, my little ragamuffin calico with the huge, extraordinary personality.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Condolences. Pets are really family members, aren't they? Especially when you've had one so many years. When we needed to put our little dog to rest a year or so ago, it occurred to me that my late-teen son didn't remember when the dog wasn't part of our life. He'd always been there.

Regarding your last paragraph, I am a firm believer that our dogs and cats will join us in heaven. I've been told my whole life that we'll have everything we need to make us supremely happy... and for people like us, that includes our pets.

You've had such a tough year, and I want you to know that I continue to pray for you in this difficult time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My sympathies. I still really miss my tiny tabby cat Lydia, who died at 21 about 5 years ago-she had some similarities to your Daphne. She was a rescue kitty, too.

Johar

Medalist
I am so sorry for the loss of ypur kitty! (hugs) I really think our pets will be reunited with us in heaven. Pets are like members of the family!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
yes, awesome right Doris? I guess I clicked as she yawned. I bought the saber tiger for my niece's many collection. She was such a beauty, princess cat. Her eyes don't show the emerald green. I hope everyone checks out my little girl!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I wonder if you folks with cats-(old cat ladies we've been dubbed by ashley-ouch ) have seen the photo I posted (with help) of Daphne and her saber tooth tiger freind....its so special and unique, I wanted you all "cat ladies" young or old to see this amazing creature. I've been in all day...always gotta check GS, right? Bless us all.

She didn't say "old cat ladies." She said "crazy cat ladies." I realized then and there that I wouldn't be welcome as an Ashley fan. I haven't had a cat in some years, but I'm definitely a cat person. Oh, dear, I might bring down the tone of Ashley's fandom somehow. So I'd better withdraw politely. Go, Gracie!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love both cats and dogs, but had 2 kitties for 20 years...I'm not letting anyone cast aspersions on cats, especially my Mrs. Murphy & Lydia the Tattooed Lady..

ice coverage

Record Breaker
First and foremost, belated condolences to skateluvr on the loss of your mother.
And condolences to all of you who have lost family members who happen to be beloved pets.

In defense of Ashley Wagner:
I have not listened to her TSL interview, but if she used the phrase "crazy cat ladies," I cannot imagine that she had any intention of referring to anyone similar to those of you who have posted in this thread.
AFAIK, in common usage, "cat person" and "crazy cat lady" have vastly different connotations. In contrast to a perfectly normal "cat person," a "crazy cat lady" is pathologically obsessed with her many, many cats -- dozens and dozens in some cases -- and completely rejects other (healthier) interests, such as meaningful contact with fellow human beings.
None of you well-adjusted "cat people" here on GS reach the extreme of "crazy cat lady" at all. Your pets (the number of whom can be counted on one hand) are an important source of pleasure for you, but hardly the one and only source. You also have strong family relationships; a passion for skating; etc.
I happen to be a "dog person" [although I have none :eek:hwell:]. If someone teased me about me being a "crazy dog lady," I would consider it a badge of honor and join the laughter without taking the least bit of offense. YMMV, but I hope that you will give Wagner a break regarding her choice of words in this case.

(If other unrelated things that she said turned you off, that's another story.)

P.S./caveat for Olympia: If you prefer cats, my strong impression is that Gracie Gold is a diehard dog person :eek: ;).

>giggle<

Don't worry, Golden. I like dogs, too, though I am a cat person.

I will keep your defense of Ashley in mind and cut her some slack.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was a little annoyed by Ashley's persona but am a fan of her skating these last two years, they were great programs. I'd rather watch her than many. I love gracie, but really, is daphne the most amazing "cat lady" or what? All calicos are ladies. I can assure you she seemed crazy at times and her howls should have been recorded. She was a real diva, kinda like our Ashley.

I wonder if Gracie will overtake her at Nationals? Well, get going Ashley, you will be needing a good 3x3 desperately to make the team! Crazy cat lady here ( I have one left!- he's very dull compared to Queen or Kween Daphne!). She had a great run.