The decision that boiled your blood | Page 13 | Golden Skate

The decision that boiled your blood

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
very easy

* Chan's fraudulent wins, need we say more ? :mad:
* the deplorable crocodile tears of S/P who did not deserve to get an OGM, absolute disgust from north american commentators and one of the worst elite pairs to exist :disapp:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Trust me, there have been many pairs over time that were worse than S&P. A lot of them came from the U.S. ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the worst elite pairs? That's a bit much.

I've come to believe that the Russians deserved the OGM on their own, but I'd still take S/P Love Story Olympic skate over nearly all of the CoP programs I've seen since then, especially since the retirement of S/Z.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
One of the worst elite pairs? That's a bit much.

I've come to believe that the Russians deserved the OGM on their own, but I'd still take S/P Love Story Olympic skate over nearly all of the CoP programs I've seen since then, especially since the retirement of S/Z.

yawn, typical resorting to CoP to upheld S/P , only a north american would find these pair asthetic and beautiful enough, lol
though comparing, I don't know who is worst them or from this CoP the crashy pairs Totmianina/Mairnin or Megan stiffboard Duhamel/Robot Radford

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yawn, typical resorting to CoP to upheld S/P , only a north american would find these pair asthetic and beautiful enough, lol
though comparing, I don't know who is worst them or from this CoP the crashy pairs Totmianina/Mairnin or Megan stiffboard Duhamel/Robot Radford

I find the "North American" slam a little odd.

True, I'm an American, but I believe the top 3 (for certain) and top 5 (arguably) pairs teams EVER were Soviet/Russian. My patriotism doesn't overrule my common sense.

S/P are not on my list of Top 5 ever, and I still maintain that what they delivered is better than nearly every CoP we've seen.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Toto and Max. Nothing special except their unison was excellent as all Russian pairs. Most boring undeserving OGM pair ever. The word yawn was created for them. S/P far more interesting, charming. I really think the lock the bloc had for so long really damaged the confidence of the N/A pairs and even European pairs. S/P are one of my fave pairs of all time, and I think the deserved the gold. I am very happy it was a tie, as it really was a great way to reward the skaters and go after the cheatin judges. CoP is a work in progress forever it seems. I really think S/P deserve more credit for some great programs. They truly were one before they split. Interestingly, they still skated very well together.

There was one G and G. Sadly, we have pretty much lost it in N/A when it comes to pairs greats. They all split before they can be proved. I wonder who will win gold at Sochi? I like the obvious gold silver designees (need we even mention names) so much, it will come down to the night itself, the programs/choreo/music. I suspect russians will win. Potboiler for 3rd...It will be hard fought.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Most boring undeserving OGM pair ever. The word yawn was created for them. .

The boring part I won't disagree since that is a matter of personal preference but undeserving? I am sorry but they skated pristine clean, absolutely no one ever questioned their medal. They were the clear winners. Their SP was breathtaking. I am not a fan of their LP but they skated that like true champions. With their 2006 perfect skated programs they would have won in 2010 since S/Z had that big mistake on the lift. Just my opinion (the scores are irrelevant since COP changed a lot in 4 years and in 2006 it was still a work in progress).
This topic is about bad scoring and undeserving medals, T/M's names don't belong here.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The boring part I won't disagree since that is a matter of personal preference but undeserving? I am sorry but they skated pristine clean, absolutely no one ever questioned their medal. They were the clear winners. Their SP was breathtaking. I am not a fan of their LP but they skated that like true champions. With their 2006 perfect skated programs they would have won in 2010 since S/Z had that big mistake on the lift. Just my opinion (the scores are irrelevant since COP changed a lot in 4 years and in 2006 it was still a work in progress).
This topic is about bad scoring and undeserving medals, T/M's names don't belong here.

I agree! I did not hear what said the American commentators. Probably they said something similar ...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They did not say anything about boring, AFAIR. They talked about the beautiful running edges Totmianina got on her throw jump landings. But they did rerun a fluff about the horrible fall they had at Skate America that season. I believe they raved about their technique in general. No one questioned them for the win. Shen & Zhao were a sentimental favorite, but no one said they should have won, and the Zhangs had that horrible fall. If you wanted a blood boiler in the 2006 pairs, I always though I&B should have been scored a bit higher for the Adagio SP, which had the first Olympic triple axel throw landed. It really was a beautiful program, and unfortunately I can't find it on youtube.,

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think we can all agree T/M were boring and unmemorable pairs
with just decent ss and horrible crashy triple twists

Reginald

Match Penalty
2013 US national figure skating championships.

Jon Jackson would have had a fit.

Courtney Hicks had two fully rotated triple-triples and 0 falls, and finished behind a skater who had 0 triple-triples and 2 falls, a skater that had one triple-triple and one fall, and a skater that had two triple-triples and one fall.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg...

The 2013 US national figure skating championships has the be the worst judged sporting event in history. It makes gymnastics at the Beijing Olympics look fairly judged.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I can see Courtney beating Agnes in a fair world, but not Gracie. The difference in PCS should maybe have been closer, but Gracie had a lot more technical content in the LP.

For one thing, Courtney did not have two fully rotated triple triples. Her SP 3F3t was called UR on the second jump in her SP;

For another, in LP Courtney did two 3/2/2's and you're only allowed one. The second double toe on the second combo doesn't count. She did one 3/3 combo there. Finally, Gracie earned all level 4's on her spins & steps, did one 3/3 and a 2A/3t, and Courtney got level 3's in the LP and she popped a 3lp 2a sequence to a 1lp 2a sequence, for negative GOE. Consequently she lost the ground she gained ahead of Gracie in the SP when Gracie fell on a UR 3/3 and popped a 2A.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68390/CAT001SEG001.html

Click on the plus sign next to each skater to see the detailed protocols. There is a tab for the LP data.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Courtney skates like a tank so I thought she was very lucky to place so highly in the standings. She skates with a lot of speed and her jumps are big but the rest of her skating was lacking.

The main person who got robbed at nationals in 2013 was Christina Gao.